Official '24 Ford Ranger NA Release

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Then it's possible other then the rear shock mounts the actual frame is carryover. I read somewhere that small modifications had to be made in front for the V6, but they might not have been talking about the frame. Under the sheet metal I doubt there is much change since they already put the engineering into a new frame for the 2019.

If you look at a body of a 2023 Ranger, 2023 Bronco and 2024 Ranger… just the body shell, not the complete built cab/body, you will see the difference as it is VERY obvious. The 2024 Ranger basically shares the front structure (from and including firewall forward) with Bronco with the key difference being a few of the mounting points/brackets for the fenders and various other parts are different. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Of course that’s only one piece but Ford’s e-cvt is far more fuel efficient than the RWD 10 speed which wasn’t designed for hybrid duty.

F-150 Powerboost, Aviator GT, and Explorer hybrid would like to have a word with you ?

47 minutes ago, bzcat said:

F-150 Powerboost, Aviator GT, and Explorer hybrid would like to have a word with you ?

But it’s still just a regular torque converter automatic with an electric motor tacked on compared to the e-cvt which is a dedicated hybrid transmission.  Not nearly as fuel efficient relatively speaking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But it’s still just a regular torque converter automatic with an electric motor tacked on compared to the e-cvt which is a dedicated hybrid transmission.  Not nearly as fuel efficient relatively speaking

While you’re not wrong on the efficiency part, to say the 10R transmission wasn’t designed for hybrid duty is obviously very much not true. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I believe the Schaeffer hybrid module replaces the torque converter. The new Hybrid Tacoma has a very similar design and I would not be surprised if it is also a Schaeffer hybrid module.

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

While you’re not wrong on the efficiency part, to say the 10R transmission wasn’t designed for hybrid duty is obviously very much not true. 

Poor choice of words.  Point is it’s still a heavy duty truck tranny.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I believe the Schaeffer hybrid module replaces the torque converter. 

Nope.  Goes in between.

Developed by Ford supplier Schaeffler, it was created by essentially inserting an electric motor and disconnect clutch between the engine and torque converter on Ford's 10-speed SelectShift automatic transmission.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

Nope.  Goes in between.

Developed by Ford supplier Schaeffler, it was created by essentially inserting an electric motor and disconnect clutch between the engine and torque converter on Ford's 10-speed SelectShift automatic transmission.

We are likely quibbling over minor details here but after reading more I think both of us are incorrect to a certain degree. I am fascinated with the Schaeffler hybrid module that is in the F-150 Powerboost and especially so now that the same hybrid design is likely to be incorporated into the Ranger PHEV.

This link provides an interesting description of the Schaeffler hybrid module:

Schaeffler Hybrid Module

That article states:

Tight integration of the torque converter with the electric motor reduces the overall length of the hybridized transmission. This allows the transmission to fit in more vehicle platforms and keeps manufacturing complexity to a minimum.

From the diagram it appears that a torque converter still exists but not the conventional torque associated with the conventional Ford 10-speed transmission. The torque converter appears to be an integral part of this Schaeffler hybrid module. At any rate, it is fascinating engineering design.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

From the diagram it appears that a torque converter still exists but not the conventional torque associated with the conventional Ford 10-speed transmission. The torque converter appears to be an integral part of this Schaeffler hybrid module.

That's correct Texasota. As mentioned in the Charged EVs article, Ford's 10R80 MHT uses a P2 Parallel architecture that combines a regular 10-speed automatic transmission with a single electric motor and 2 clutches (1 between the gasoline engine and electric motor and the other between the electric motor and the drivetrain). This is the most commonly used transmission type for hybrid vehicles in the U.S. market. In addition to Ford, other automakers that currently use P2 Parallel hybrid systems include.

• BMW (with 8-speed ZF transmission)
  • Hyundai/Kia (with various Powertech transmissions both traditional automatic and DCT)
  • Mercedes-Benz (with 9-speed Daimler transmission)
  • Porsche (with 8-speed ZF transmission)
  • Stellantis (with 8-speed ZF transmission)
  • Toyota (with 6-speed and 10-speed Aisin AW transmissions)
  • Volvo Cars (with 8-speed Aisin AW transmission)
Edited by rperez817
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I work on a Ranger line now so if we stopped building them I must have been living a dream since January ?

Then I have ZERO idea whos getting them............weve had a grand total of maybe 7 in the last 5 months...all ordered units...

Edited by Deanh

17 hours ago, Texasota said:

From the diagram it appears that a torque converter still exists but not the conventional torque associated with the conventional Ford 10-speed transmission. The torque converter appears to be an integral part of this Schaeffler hybrid module. At any rate, it is fascinating engineering design.

It’s a normal torque converter they just packaged it with the motor to take up less space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, Deanh said:

they stopped building Rangers some time ago, and even then allocation was shockingly bad...when we were allocated a grand total of 1 for an entire month it does nothing to help sales numbers at all....

I was just looking at a few 2023 Rangers that are showing up on my local dealer’s website and they have some with a mid June 2023 blend date so they are still building 23s.

On 6/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, 2005Explorer said:

Then it's possible other then the rear shock mounts the actual frame is carryover. I read somewhere that small modifications had to be made in front for the V6, but they might not have been talking about the frame. Under the sheet metal I doubt there is much change since they already put the engineering into a new frame for the 2019.

So what about the fact that the front suspension was moved forward by almost two inches and the track width was increased by about the same amount on the 2024? Wouldn't those changes require at the very least different mounting points for the front suspension? If the frame itself is not wider in the front then they would have to use longer control arms in order to increase the track width.

The Nano V6s have the turbos attached directly to the cylinder heads, I.E. no separate exhaust manifolds. By not having exhaust manifolds I suppose you could save a little width but it would be more than made up for by the size of the turbos hanging way down there. I wish now that I had looked a little closer at the Ranger Raptor at Carlisle to see exactly where those turbos are placed. I suppose they could be above the frame rails which would go along with Fuzzy's point about the fender aprons having been changed. But the point is that a V6 with turbos hanging off the sides is a much wider beast than any inline engine used in the previous gen Ranger. Keep in mind that international markets also have the option of the 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel V6.

Here's a photo of the 2.7 setup from the F-150 which is probably different from the Ranger but at least you can see how the turbos are attached.

The new 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 is a good match for the 2015 Ford F-150

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Keep in mind that international markets also have the option of the 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel V6.

Here's a shot of the diesel V6, similar to above...I'd say its a bit narrower with wise with the turbo tucked under the cylinder head

2022 Ford Ranger: The real story behind the new diesel V6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Over at 6g they are saying ford is offering $1000  discount if you order a new ranger. There was speculation over there a few days ago that there had only been 1500 preorders of the ranger. Wonder if this is related?

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/1-000-dollar-pre-order-discount.7583/

How was that 1500 number derived?   I can’t imagine Ford giving up that number.    

Edited by tbone

On 6/9/2023 at 1:22 PM, Rick73 said:

Both engines above look much wider than old Ranger 4-liter pushrod V6.

My Ranger had the SOHC Cologne. They had a taller deck due to the design yet all V6's share the 60 degree split.

15 minutes ago, tbone said:

How was that 1500 number derived?   Did they say?   

here is the thread over there discussing it. They are saying it came from a dealer video and/or a dealer bulletin so who knows if true or not. They believe it’s retail orders and since raptors are stock orders, they are not included.

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/report-2024-ranger-job-1-production-set-to-begin-august-7-again.7572/

Here is the video, go to 37:30

Edited by T-dubz

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

here is the thread over there discussing it. They are saying it came from a dealer video and/or a dealer bulletin so who knows if true or not

It does sound like it came from Ford but I’ve had to correct that guy a couple of times relative to orders, priority and pricing.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:48 AM, T-dubz said:

Over at 6g they are saying ford is offering $1000  discount if you order a new ranger. There was speculation over there a few days ago that there had only been 1500 preorders of the ranger. Wonder if this is related?

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/1-000-dollar-pre-order-discount.7583/

Considering the price increase, less combinations and a carryover engine (at least for now) with a lighter duty transmission, it's not surprising it's a slow seller as far as pre-orders are concerned. There is nothing in the 2024 Ranger that would make me want to trade my 2022 Ranger Tremor for one. The only exception is the Raptor which will be pretty much impossible to get unless your willing and able to fork over tons of money above MSRP.

Edited by 2005Explorer

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Considering the price increase, less combinations and a carryover engine (at least for now) with a lighter duty transmission, it's not surprising it's a slow seller as far as pre-orders are concerned. There is nothing in the 2024 Ranger that would make me want to trade my 2022 Ranger Tremor for one. The only exception is the Raptor which will be pretty much impossible to get unless your willing and able to fork over tons of money above MSRP.

The '22 Tremor is a great truck (we have one) and trading that in for anything but a raptor wouldn't make sense at this point. The refinements are super nice on the new one though. The Tremor is the nicest riding vehicle MAP makes IMHO. On par with the Ranger Raptor. The 2.7L is nice though over the standard 2.3L not that the 2.3L is bad at all. The new one doesn't feel like the current model at all. They don't compare.

• Like 1