Official '24 Ford Ranger NA Release

2 hours ago, ESP08 said:

It appears there were across the board improvements.   

Upgrades made to frame, suspension, rear seat leg-room, and interior plus an available V6 in a non-Raptor model

I'm considering a 2.7 EB Ranger and I never even considered the last gen Ranger.  

I've always liked the T6 platform but didn't care for the last gen Ranger's tiny back seat and 2.3-only powertrain.  

A longer bed option should be made available though

Yeah, based off what I've heard about the current ranger, the best thing about it was the reliability/durability. Most reliable midsized truck according to multiple outlets, but it was outdated from day 1. 

Hopefully this new ranger is just as reliable while being far more modern/competitive and better looking. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Holy crap they actually brought a pair over here to body for us to check out. They didn’t even do that for Bronco. 

Naturally I didn’t know about it until my break was over so I’ll go check them out during lunch if they’re still here and give my first impression after. 

Got to take a peek. They only had a Raptor and the doors were locked since it’s a preproduction build so I couldn’t sit in it. First impression is it’s a very clean design and it’s a very good looking truck. Yet another in a growing line of recent Fords that looks way better in person than in pictures. Couldn’t see a ton of the interior through the windows but it looked to be much nicer than the outgoing lariat trim which I would expect. Azure Gray looks phenomenal on it. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
Stupid autocorrect I missed earlier
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

So the Ranger grew in size outside, but the passenger volume inside the cab is virtually unchanged. 97.6 cubic feet on the '19-'23 and 98.3 cubic feet on the 2024 .

I have a second to address this and hopefully I’m not speaking out of turn here. Yes the interior volume is nearly identical but the dimensions are different and I can sort of explain how. The cowl/dash panel (firewall) sits more upright than the outgoing model, I noticed that immediately when I first saw it on the line. It makes sense since that part is now shared with Bronco but with a different cowl top piece. I’m not sure how much detail I can go into so I’ll cut it there but that change allowed for a domino effect of alterations that made for a more spacious feeling cabin without having to make it physically bigger. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I have to wait till the order banks open the 26th, my main concern was the length. My garage can only fit 217in Lengthwise (I added it on when I remodeled but I was limited by property setbacks)..as it is, I have to almost kiss the rear wall (I have rubber cushion there) when I park the MkZ. If it wasn't for that, I would have gotten an F150 long ago.

Rangers are now over 2-ft longer than the one I had, which would lead to a similar issue for me.  I’d have to remove a work bench on garage back wall. Rangers have become much larger over the years; not only 2+ feet longer but roughly 6 inches wider, up to 10 inches taller, and a lot heavier.  Not that these are bad changes because the new truck is far better overall, but the “compact” size I appreciated is no longer a feature.  Cost is a lot higher too.  I’m not presently looking to buy a pickup truck, so trying to compare objectively.

• Like 1

Honestly...I'm a little disappointed.  I know that Ford is shoveling most of the R&D money into EV efforts right now (even if not battery assembly pay, apparently), but the 2.3 and 2.7 have been at their respective outputs forever.  Some "bumps" seem overdue, which would also have been cause for more positive bullet points.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I have a second to address this and hopefully I’m not speaking out of turn here. Yes the interior volume is nearly identical but the dimensions are different and I can sort of explain how. The cowl/dash panel (firewall) sits more upright than the outgoing model, I noticed that immediately when I first saw it on the line. It makes sense since that part is now shared with Bronco but with a different cowl top piece. I’m not sure how much detail I can go into so I’ll cut it there but that change allowed for a domino effect of alterations that made for a more spacious feeling cabin without having to make it physically bigger. 

Yeah, Bronco's dash is upright and short.  I find Bronco's rear seat leg room pretty good all things considered.  I'd imagine this new Ranger is similar to that.

5 hours ago, ESP08 said:

It appears there were across the board improvements.   

Upgrades made to frame, suspension, rear seat leg-room, and interior plus an available V6 in a non-Raptor model

That's right ESP08, though the product is evolutionary, it looks like Ford spent serious effort to optimize 2024 Ranger for the U.S. market. New Ranger should be very competitive with the newly introduced GM and Toyota midsize pickups in that market. This is no hack job like 2019-2023 U.S. Ranger.

The real advancement in this segment will be the BEV (Lightning?) version of Ranger. Hopefully Ford introduces that within the next 3 years and beats GM, Toyota, Nissan, and Stellantis to the punch. 

• Like 1

After watching some videos, here are a few things I noticed. Sorry if this has been said before, the website keeps having errors so haven’t read everything.

1. No rear AC vents in any trim so far

2. Bedside step is optional

3. push button start only on lariat and above

4. new shifter only on lariat and above 

5. No moonroof for fuzzy

6. Doesn’t have the incorporated keypad in the door and instead has one of the stick on ones above the handle

7. Some of the switchgear still looks like it’s from my 2013 fusion, mainly some of the buttons on the doors and the non electronic shifter.

8. I usually like painted bumpers on trucks, but on this truck it makes it look cheap. Im assuming the sport package comes with the black accents on the grille and wheel arches that are shown on the white xlt and that looks pretty good.

9. Chrome package looks bad. Chrome isn’t my thing to begin with but if you are going chrome, you really need chrome bumpers. It just doesn’t work on this truck and the chrome wheels look a bit generic. Like the chromed some XL wheels.

I know that sounds like a lot of negative, but we all know most of the positives already. Xlt sport is growing on me, hopefully the lariat comes with the sport package as well, as it seems like there are lots of trade offs if you don’t go lariat. 

Edited by T-dubz

39 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I usually like painted bumpers on trucks, but on this truck it makes it look cheap.

That’s part of it not photographing well. The painted bumpers on the Raptor I saw today looked great, even under suboptimal lighting conditions. 

30 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That’s part of it not photographing well. The painted bumpers on the Raptor I saw today looked great, even under suboptimal lighting conditions. 

I guess I should have said body colored. The dark gray or black bumpers look good. It’s the body color ones that weren’t that great. There was a red lariat with chrome at the event all the journalists were at and to me it looked like it could have been an XL.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

How so?

Ranger seems within 90% of F-150 in many dimensions, weight, and starting price.  Also, fuel consumption is roughly 90%, making the jump to an F-150 easier to justify in my opinion.  My guess is that some buyers would prefer a compact modern truck but with traditional RWD and body-on-frame design.  Maverick seems great to me, particularly the hybrid’s fuel economy, but doesn’t feel like a rugged truck (which it isn’t); and doesn’t claim to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I like it, but's it's getting closer to an F-150.

That is actually Ford's strategy for Ranger. Motor Trend mentioned the following in its first look review. 2024 Ford Ranger First Look: Way More "America, Truck Yeah!" Than Before (motortrend.com)

Ford says the "Ranger is the F-150 of the world," a boast that both ties the midsize pickup to the larger, bestselling F-150 and to its global roots of late. It also puts a positive spin on the previous-generation model, which was sent here a few years after it went on sale in the rest of the world, making it both an awkward transplant and old upon arrival.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

He thinks it’s too big because it’s not the same size as the 2010 Ranger.  And apparently Maverick doesn’t count for some reason.

I've seen people criticizing the ranger for being too big, many of those same people turn around and bash the maverick for being too small. It's like, will these people ever be satisfied? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

Ranger seems within 90% of F-150 in many dimensions, weight, and starting price.  Also, fuel consumption is roughly 90%, making the jump to an F-150 easier to justify in my opinion.  My guess is that some buyers would prefer a compact modern truck but with traditional RWD and body-on-frame design.  Maverick seems great to me, particularly the hybrid’s fuel economy, but doesn’t feel like a rugged truck (which it isn’t); and doesn’t claim to be.

I just don't see the appeal of a small "rugged" truck. Make the larger trucks super capable, and beefy. Make the smaller trucks more car like and refined. The Ford Maverick is more than rugged and capable enough for the kinds of things most small truck owners need it for. If someone isn't satisfied by the maverick or sante Cruz tow ratings or off-road ratings, that's what the ranger is for. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

How so?

We'll have to wait for the official specs, but as I understand it, the non Raptor models gain two inches in wheelbase by moving the front axle forward, thus creating a slightly larger cabin . The shocks are now mounted outside the frame rails, allowing a wider interior box, 48 inches between the wheel wells, while keeping overall width close to the 5G's. i think the overall effect is to build a bigger, more usable truck while maintaining nearly the same footprint. Maybe there will be a nexus in 2030 when the Ranger becomes the F-150 and the Super Duties continue at their present size and capacities. The "redheaded stepchild"comes into its own, finally.

You read it here first.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

After watching some videos, here are a few things I noticed. Sorry if this has been said before, the website keeps having errors so haven’t read everything.

1. No rear AC vents in any trim so far

2. Bedside step is optional

3. push button start only on lariat and above

4. new shifter only on lariat and above 

5. No moonroof for fuzzy

6. Doesn’t have the incorporated keypad in the door and instead has one of the stick on ones above the handle

7. Some of the switchgear still looks like it’s from my 2013 fusion, mainly some of the buttons on the doors and the non electronic shifter.

8. I usually like painted bumpers on trucks, but on this truck it makes it look cheap. Im assuming the sport package comes with the black accents on the grille and wheel arches that are shown on the white xlt and that looks pretty good.

9. Chrome package looks bad. Chrome isn’t my thing to begin with but if you are going chrome, you really need chrome bumpers. It just doesn’t work on this truck and the chrome wheels look a bit generic. Like the chromed some XL wheels.

I know that sounds like a lot of negative, but we all know most of the positives already. Xlt sport is growing on me, hopefully the lariat comes with the sport package as well, as it seems like there are lots of trade offs if you don’t go lariat. 

There are plenty of positives to the new model, but now if you want low range in your 4x4 that is an added cost. Dual range 4x4 used to be standard on all 4x4 models. That is according to a Motortrend article. Auto 4x4 is not available in anything except the Raptor. I have also heard, but cannot confirm XL and XLT still have halogen headlamps. It's 2023... even the Maverick has LED across the board.

I didn't know about the new shifter being only on Lariat and above. What does the XL and XLT use for a shifter?

EDIT: Nevermind on the shifter. I figured it out by looking at pictures. It's the same mechanical one from the current Ranger.

Edited by 2005Explorer

5 hours ago, ZanatWork said:

Honestly...I'm a little disappointed.  I know that Ford is shoveling most of the R&D money into EV efforts right now (even if not battery assembly pay, apparently), but the 2.3 and 2.7 have been at their respective outputs forever.  Some "bumps" seem overdue, which would also have been cause for more positive bullet points.

Let's be honest, a hybrid and ev version of the ranger is a when, not an if. If I had to hazzard a guess, Ford didn't alter the 2.3 and 2.7 for a few reasons. One, Ford has been given a lot of crap for fixing what wasn't broken in the past. Sometimes they've deserved that criticism, other times they haven't. 

The 2.3 and 2.7 are both relatively powerful, somewhat fuel efficient, extremely reliable engines. There's not a lot that could be improved about them. Maybe a few small things, but nothing massive. So it would mostly be change for the sake of change. Stick with what works as long as it still appeals to people.

Secondly, the decision to use carry over engines virtually unchanged saves a ton of money. Money ford can instead invest in making that eventually ranger hybrid or ev that much better. 

If you want more power, just wait for those versions. I wouldn't be surprised if a hybrid/ev ranger was well into the 400s, or even 500s in terms of horsepower. 

Personally, I'm a bit nuts, so I'm hoping we see a 3.0 hybrid in the ranger/bronco. That setup puts out 494 hp/630 lb ft of twist in the aviator. That would absolutely rip in the ranger and/or bronco.

Me likey. So the engine tag on the pre-production Raptor from a few weeks back was accurate...we did get the 2.7. Awesome! I'm in no hurry to ditch the F-150 so I'm willing to wait to see if the Tremor comes back. Would be nice if they added a moonroof and rear seat HVAC vents but those are not deal breakers. I seldom use the moonroof on the F-150 and I don't sit in the back seat when I'm driving. 

I do have my name at the top of the list for the Raptor at a local dealer so I will investigate that option as well. I don't think $58k is outrageous for what you are getting but ADMs will likely be the killer.