Official '24 Ford Ranger NA Release

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree, the integrated look is so much better than the physical buttons but the idea with the buttons is you can still use them with work gloves on. It drives the Tesla stans crazy which I find hilarious. 

I haven't understood why they can't come out with a gloss black flush version for the trucks - essentially same glossy b-pillar material over hard buttons embedded within the door pillar instead of the squishy buttons that stick out like a sore thumb.

3 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

From the 2019 it is sad how much has been removed from the Edge. Co-worker had a 2019 and just got a 2022 and makes comments on how much a POS it is from her 2019 and how she should have bought her lease out. One odd thing the Edge still has is the ability to change the color of the ambient lighting, that has been removed from almost every other Ford. (Even the $100,000+ Trucks)

I did see at least in the release that the Heated Wiper Park is back for the Ranger after being discontinued. In typical Ford fashion that should be removed by 2025 or 2026.  With the success of the Hybrid Maverick and Power-boost F-150 no Hybrid at launch is a big mistake. I also see why they wanted to release the Ranger before the Tacoma.

Yeah, I dislike how they removed the ability to change ambient lighting color.  But I guess one color ambient lighting is better than none.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I haven't understood why they can't come out with a gloss black flush version for the trucks - essentially same glossy b-pillar material over hard buttons embedded within the door pillar

work gloves as Fuzzy already stated.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I dislike how they removed the ability to change ambient lighting color.  But I guess one color ambient lighting is better than none.

99.99% set it once and forget it.  I haven’t even looked in our Nautilus and it’s a year old.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

99.99% set it once and forget it.  I haven’t even looked in our Nautilus and it’s a year old.  

We would change them periodically, but I’m more irritated by the loss of the storage compartment light in front of the shifter and the cupholder lights.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

work gloves as Fuzzy already stated.

No.   I proposed a glossy physical button that you actually press in, it just sits flush with the rest of the pillar surface.  NO reason that wouldn't work with gloves.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Ok.  Good for them.  But for those who did change it (I changed mine with holidays...same with Mustang's digital gauges), it seems like another cost cutting move.

The point also is greater than just the ambient lighting by itself.  Its, Ford has removed.....1) ambient lighting, 2) keypad, 3) proximity locks on rear handles, 4) etc. etc.  and they do it to every model over time.  Continue to remove more and more features and it adds up and people do notice, and they'll start getting a reputation of being cheap.

Ford’s ambient lighting is terrible anyways. I don’t even notice mine at all. I might as well not even have it. I wish it were more like Mercedes or Lincoln where the lighting is on the dash and actually accents the design of the interior, instead of just adding a tiny bit of color to a cup holder or footwell.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

No.   I proposed a glossy physical button that you actually press in, it just sits flush with the rest of the pillar surface.  NO reason that wouldn't work with gloves.

Ok.  Good for them.  But for those who did change it (I changed mine with holidays...same with Mustang's digital gauges), it seems like another cost cutting move.

The point also is greater than just the ambient lighting by itself.  Its, Ford has removed.....1) ambient lighting, 2) keypad, 3) proximity locks on rear handles, 4) etc. etc.  and they do it to every model over time.  Continue to remove more and more features and it adds up and people do notice, and they'll start getting a reputation of being cheap.

Recessed buttons would be hard to press with thick work gloves unless they were gi-normous.

And of course it’s pure cost cutting to remove those things - but some are more missed than others.  

10 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

From the 2019 it is sad how much has been removed from the Edge. Co-worker had a 2019 and just got a 2022 and makes comments on how much a POS it is from her 2019 and how she should have bought her lease out. One odd thing the Edge still has is the ability to change the color of the ambient lighting, that has been removed from almost every other Ford. (Even the $100,000+ Trucks)

I did see at least in the release that the Heated Wiper Park is back for the Ranger after being discontinued. In typical Ford fashion that should be removed by 2025 or 2026.  With the success of the Hybrid Maverick and Power-boost F-150 no Hybrid at launch is a big mistake. I also see why they wanted to release the Ranger before the Tacoma.

I think it is a strategic blunder that 2024 Tacoma (and likely 2025 Hilux too) will launch with a hybrid and there is no response from Ranger, at least not until mid cycle update in 2027 or 28. 

Ranger is Ford's 3rd best selling nameplate after F-150 and Transit and a major profit driver. It's unfathomable that P703 program didn't have EV or PHEV development baked in from the start. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Regarding the button location, the buttons on our Explorer in the pillar are much more finicky than the ones on our F150.  However I think you are referring to yet a different style than what is on our Explorer. 

To your other points, I totally agree.  It was nothing more than Ford profit taking as the prices certainly didn’t go down. I’ve noticed these things and so have my other Ford friends.  I guess it is shame on me for continuing to buy Ford products even though these are features that I like that they stripped away, and I keep taking it. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Ranger is Ford's 3rd best selling nameplate after F-150 and Transit and a major profit driver. It's unfathomable that P703 program didn't have EV or PHEV development baked in from the start. 

Isn't Explorer #2, well ahead of Transit?

HRG

IMO the keypad thing is way overstated-if it was that big of a deal, why wouldn't other makers offer it? I had it on my SHO and I never used it. I much prefer the proximity sensors that you just touch the handle and the door unlocks or locks. I never really had a need to lock my keys in my car. 

How much of this is picking fly crap out of pepper to a point?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

IMO the keypad thing is way overstated-if it was that big of a deal, why wouldn't other makers offer it? I had it on my SHO and I never used it. I much prefer the proximity sensors that you just touch the handle and the door unlocks or locks. I never really had a need to lock my keys in my car. 

It's a nice feature to have when you want to lock your vehicle running, or you leave your phone in the console, and you remember an important call is coming, so you run out to the locked vehicle, forgetting your key or fob...

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The keypad is the only solution if you want to leave the fob and your phone in the vehicle (swimming e.g.). And if you’re using phone as a key it’s the backup method for being able to start the vehicle if your phone dies or isn’t working by entering the door code to get in then putting in your password.  Fordpass has eliminated some of the other benefits assuming it works.   So while it’s somewhat less useful than 10 years ago it’s still quite a useful feature and not overstated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

The keypad is the only solution if you want to leave the fob and your phone in the vehicle (swimming e.g.). And if you’re using phone as a key it’s the backup method for being able to start the vehicle if your phone dies or isn’t working by entering the door code to get in then putting in your password.  Fordpass has eliminated some of the other benefits assuming it works.   So while it’s somewhat less useful than 10 years ago it’s still quite a useful feature and not overstated.

But yet no other manufacture has it as an option, which makes me wonder if there really is a demand for it...I get it can be useful, but there are lots of useful things that aren't "worth doing" because of the cost or effort it takes. 

I get this feeling that its not as big of a deal breaker to most people as it is made to be around here. 

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But yet no other manufacture has it as an option, which makes me wonder if there really is a demand for it...I get it can be useful, but there are lots of useful things that aren't "worth doing" because of the cost or effort it takes. 

I get this feeling that its not as big of a deal breaker to most people as it is made to be around here. 

On the flip side because it’s one of the few features Ford has that nobody else does that’s what makes it unique. Any way to stand out in a crowd where literally everyone else is the same is a good thing and to get rid of that just to save a few pennies is very shortsighted. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Not a deal breaker if it goes away because there is no other option but there are a lot of folks who stick with Ford’s mainly because of that feature so if it goes away they’ll shop elsewhere.

Just because you do t use it or want it doesn’t mean nobody does.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Not a deal breaker if it goes away because there is no other option but there are a lot of folks who stick with Ford’s mainly because of that feature so if it goes away they’ll shop elsewhere.

Just because you do t use it or want it doesn’t mean nobody does.

That is the point I'm trying to make-is it really a deal breaker? I don't see a $100 item being a complete deal breaker for the vast majority of Ford car buyers. I know its popular with people here, but I never see it mentioned in the "wild" on social media or other forums as this great thing that they wish they saw on other products. Not to mention that (unless I missed this some place) its on a product that is deadman walking with the Edge. 

46 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Doesn't Ford have a patent on it?  That’s my understanding.

Yeah apparently in 1999 (even though its been around since the 1980s?) and GM came out with its own version too

https://www.thedrive.com/news/did-you-know-gm-copied-fords-securicode-keypad

Edited by silvrsvt

There are a lot of Ford owners who keep buying Ford’s because of that feature so they’ll look elsewhere.  Some will still buy a Ford.  So no not a deal breaker but it wouldn’t be no impact.  People that use it a lot are passionate about it.

21 hours ago, akirby said:

Recessed buttons would be hard to press with thick work gloves unless they were gi-normous.

And of course it’s pure cost cutting to remove those things - but some are more missed than others.  

It'd be the same size as the current buttons.......I guess I'm not understanding how someone can manage to push the raised button with a glove, but somehow couldn't push a flush button of the same size?

16 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think it is a strategic blunder that 2024 Tacoma (and likely 2025 Hilux too) will launch with a hybrid and there is no response from Ranger, at least not until mid cycle update in 2027 or 28. 

I think you're meaning "truck/van" nameplate?  At which point, Maverick is also ahead of it, so Ranger is #4 truck/van wise.   I agree to not have PHEV in it looks like an oversight.

15 hours ago, tbone said:

Regarding the button location, the buttons on our Explorer in the pillar are much more finicky than the ones on our F150.  However I think you are referring to yet a different style than what is on our Explorer. 

To your other points, I totally agree.  It was nothing more than Ford profit taking as the prices certainly didn’t go down. I’ve noticed these things and so have my other Ford friends.  I guess it is shame on me for continuing to buy Ford products even though these are features that I like that they stripped away, and I keep taking it. 

Correct - imagine the Explorer style, but with flush physical buttons instead of the touch sensitive kind.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

It's not a "I won't buy a Ford if it doesn't have it" feature (heck, Bronco didn't have it integrated, I ordered one after the fact), but it'd be disappointing if/when they do remove it.  As others have mentioned, FordPass has given another outlet for some of the features (unlocking/locking without the key) and has features the keypad can't (remote start) , but also can't do what the keypad can (i.e. locking everything in the car, including phone).

As said above, not a dealbreaker, but disappointing.  And I don't like seeing Ford nickel and dime customers on features.  Bronco, for instance, has several tech features missing that are present in most of the rest of the lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

That is the point I'm trying to make-is it really a deal breaker? I don't see a $100 item being a complete deal breaker for the vast majority of Ford car buyers. I know its popular with people here, but I never see it mentioned in the "wild" on social media or other forums as this great thing that they wish they saw on other products. Not to mention that (unless I missed this some place) its on a product that is deadman walking with the Edge. 

Yeah apparently in 1999 (even though its been around since the 1980s?) and GM came out with its own version too

https://www.thedrive.com/news/did-you-know-gm-copied-fords-securicode-keypad

I use the keypad virtually every time I lock my vehicle because I leave the keys in it and I don’t want to use my phone. I have a number of friends who have changed brands and they have said that was one feature they missed.  

Would it stop me from buying another Ford if they got rid of it, not necessarily.  However, with Fords continued decontenting of vehicles, I strongly considered buying a Ram for the first time ever before my last purchase. People do notice the removal of all these small features, while the prices continue to increase. That diminishes their value and disincentivizes people from purchasing in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It'd be the same size as the current buttons.......I guess I'm not understanding how someone can manage to push the raised button with a glove, but somehow couldn't push a flush button of the same size

Your gloved finger would be far larger than the recessed opening around the button so how can you depress the button?

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

It is an option on the 2024 Chevrolet Trax

KEYLESS ENTRY KEYPAD
$295
  • Programmable 5-digit keypad allows access to your locked vehicle without a key or key fob
  • Located near outside driver's door handle
Edited by danglin