Ford is testing hydrogen fuel cell vans for "hauling heavy goods long distances"

"Ford believes that the primary application of fuel cells could be in its largest, heaviest commercial vehicles to ensure they are emission-free, while satisfying the high daily energy requirements our customers demand," Ford's UK chairman Tim Slatter said in a statement. Interest in using hydrogen fuel cells to power trucks and vans is getting a boost from fleet operators looking for a more practical alternative to electric vehicles and rising government aid, particularly the U.S. Inflation Reduction Act (IRA).

While most of the world's combustion engine cars and short-distance vans and lorries should be replaced by battery electric vehicles (BEVs) over the next two decades, hydrogen fuel-cell proponents and some long-haul fleet operators say batteries are too heavy, take too long to charge and could overload power grids.

Vehicles with hydrogen fuel cells, in which hydrogen mixes with oxygen to produce water and energy to power a battery, can refuel in minutes and have a much longer range than those with BEVs.

(Rest of the article): 

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-test-small-uk-fleet-hydrogen-fuel-cell-e-transit-vans-2023-05-09/

Same reasons given for why Ford is forgoing BEV instead for fuel cells for the Super Duty.

Though, I don't understand why it's a "hydrogen fuel cell E-Transit" instead of simply a "hydrogen fuel cell Transit".

Edited by zipnzap

Doesn’t Europe face different weight restrictions with E-Vans that affect design?  They have tougher weight limits if I recall correctly, so their E-Vans can either have larger batteries for extended range and little remaining payload, or greater payload due to smaller battery but with much less range.  In US we would expect a heavier van with both larger battery and high payload.  Hydrogen may be a way for Ford to increase combination of range and payload in Europe, but I’m not sure it will apply to US as much.  Just a guess.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, rperez817 said:

FCEV is one type of electric vehicle. Ford is being consistent in applying the E-Transit name.

Also, I think that fuel cell technology is not well understood by the general population, hence the "E" in the acronym lets everybody know that the hydrogen is not burned to power a generator, say, but produces electricity directly

• Like 1