Ford introducing new 7 seat EV CUV in 2025 with 350 miles of range

• silvrsvt changed the title to Ford introducing new 7 seat EV CUV in 2025 with 350 miles of range

I’m a bit puzzled as to why they referenced the Expedition so much because it’s Explorer sized and is/was supposed to wear the Explorer nameplate.

It is radically different in styling. Mix the new Polestar 3, a 1995 Taurus wagon, and a bit of the new European Explorer EV onto an Explorer for size and proportion purposes and that is what will be…….

Edited by ExplorerDude

21 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

I’m a bit puzzled as to why they referenced the Expedition so much because it’s Explorer sized and is supposed to wear the Explorer nameplate.

It is radically different in styling. Mix the new Polestar 3, a 1995 Taurus wagon, and a bit of the new European Explorer EV onto an Explorer for size and proportion purposes and that is what will be…….

Because Ford F***** up and used the Explorer name on a Bronco Sport sized EV for Europe. 

It would have confused a ton of people had they said Explorer as the Explorer ev has been shown and was touched on during today’s presentations. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

I’m a bit puzzled as to why they referenced the Expedition so much because it’s Explorer sized and is supposed to wear the Explorer nameplate.

So basically the side view of a Polestar with the front and rear graphics of the explorer ev, and a modernized take on the Tarus wagon glass. At least that's how I assume how all of those elements will blend together. That could actually look pretty good if they execute it well. 

I assume that's it under the tarp next to t3, which itself looks pretty cool/sporty based off the proportions that we can see. I was a little worried that Ford's EVs were going to get uglier with them focusing on areo focused design, the same thing that's made Tesla's so frumpy. But it looks like they may pull this off and deliver a series of compelling products. Time will tell, but it's looking promising based off your description. 

388c37e0-cefb-11ed-bffe-ff6d7abd5de3.webp.jpg

3 hours ago, akirby said:

And how do you know the cost?  It’s 2 years away.

Because the lightning already costs $60k for the lowest trim and the cheapest ICE expedition is $56k. Considering that electric costs more than ICE and SUVs generally cost more than trucks, it’s not a far stretch to assume an expedition size electric will cost 80k+

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

It almost assuredly will be more than the Mach E. I don’t consider that “affordable”.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Because the lightning already costs $60k for the lowest trim and the cheapest ICE expedition is $56k. Considering that electric costs more than ICE and SUVs generally cost more than trucks, it’s not a far stretch to assume an expedition size electric will cost 80k+

What part of “new more efficient battery” (that means smaller and cheaper) and new dedicated EV platform (also cheaper) was confusing?

They might do some stupid things but they’re not going to say it’s affordable if it’s starts at $60k.  

Also don't discount the fact that battery cell production from Ford itself will help with pricing of BEV products. That is one of the big issues with pricing and why it costs so much to replace a battery if needed. The supply is so tight on them. 

That issue overall should continually get better as more production capacity gets added between now and 2030, when it should be able to cover 3/4 of the light duty market yearly sales. 

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Bullet train?

Think Aerodynamics and speed?

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Because Ford F***** up and used the Explorer name on a Bronco Sport sized EV for Europe. 

Well if the GE2 Explorer was't delayed...it would have been coming out sooner then it is and not create as much confusion as it would now.

I'm just curious as to how they will grow the Explorer name and keep it straight between all the different models. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The article mentions it will be “affordable”. If you count $80k+ as affordable then I guess so ?

Look on the bright side. With the last couple of years of nearly 10% inflation and probably a couple more years of current elevated levels of around 5%, $80k+ in 2025 will be the equivalent of 2021's $65k+. Yeah, the bright side... ?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, akirby said:

What part of “new more efficient battery” (that means smaller and cheaper) and new dedicated EV platform (also cheaper) was confusing?

They might do some stupid things but they’re not going to say it’s affordable if it’s starts at $60k.  

The only way this thing doesn’t start over 60k is if it’s explorer sized and not expedition sized. Like I said before, cheapest expedition is 56k for the XL. There’s literally no way in hell ford would sell the electric version of a vehicle for less than the equivalent ice version.

Also, consider that the Kia EV9 (explorer sized) is rumored to be around 56k when it goes on sale. Ford’s are generally more expensive than Kias so even at the explorer size, it’s quite possible it will be over $60k as well.

11 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The only way this thing doesn’t start over 60k is if it’s explorer sized and not expedition sized. Like I said before, cheapest expedition is 56k for the XL. There’s literally no way in hell ford would sell the electric version of a vehicle for less than the equivalent ice version.

Also, consider that the Kia EV9 (explorer sized) is rumored to be around 56k when it goes on sale. Ford’s are generally more expensive than Kias so even at the explorer size, it’s quite possible it will be over $60k as well.

It is Explorer sized.  Maybe smaller overall but with same or more interior room.  That was already explained.  

It will be built on a dedicated EV platform in a dedicated EV factory using new cheaper batteries.  

Mach-E starts at $42k on a first Gen platform with first Gen batteries in a converted ICE factory.  Scale it up for size then lower costs with the new platform, new factory and new batteries and I think it will easily be $40k - ish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

It is Explorer sized.  Maybe smaller overall but with same or more interior room.  That was already explained.  

It will be built on a dedicated EV platform in a dedicated EV factory using new cheaper batteries.  

Mach-E starts at $42k on a first Gen platform with first Gen batteries in a converted ICE factory.  Scale it up for size then lower costs with the new platform, new factory and new batteries and I think it will easily be $40k - ish.

Windstar II?

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Same for T3 btw.  You guys are underestimating the cost savings of next Gen EVs over the current crop.

Exactly, Cost savings plus a complete overhaul in the design process. This is how they become profitable come mid-decade. The first generations of these products will never make profit the way the second generation will. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Think Aerodynamics and speed?

Well if the GE2 Explorer was't delayed...it would have been coming out sooner then it is and not create as much confusion as it would now.

I'm just curious as to how they will grow the Explorer name and keep it straight between all the different models. 

That euro thing should've been called "Explorer _______," not just "Explorer"

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Also - affordable probably means Explorer pricing since that’s the entry level 7 seater right now.  It doesn’t mean $25k.

I see this starting at 50k

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

That logic works great assuming Mach-E at $42k is profitable, but is that the case, or even close to that?  We really don’t know how much the base Mach E costs to build because Ford can be losing a lot per vehicle (beyond investment in plants and all that).  MSRP in this case is not of much value to project (estimate) cost of new vehicles which will have to be profitable at some point in near future.