Ford introducing new 7 seat EV CUV in 2025 with 350 miles of range

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

It galls me to think that Ford had a boxy BEV Explorer but then reworked into this sleeker looking crossover. Clearly, they got cold feet over possibly taking production and sales away from CAP CD6 Explorer/Aviator. Perhaps Ford is not yet sold on the idea of mass migration of ICE buyers to BEVs so doesn’t want to kill Ford Blue production until later in the decade…..

Part of the problem is that Ford keeps changing its mind and second guessing original plans. They’re kinda hunting for the groove but honestly, it smacks of not really knowing what customers want or, maybe favouring new customers in BEVs over simply migrating existing ones.

What should be a no brainer product decision has turned into something that meets more obscure objectives, like maybe they want this to be more of a Tesla competitor?

My only logical speculation with the design change is that perhaps it was Hackett that ordered the change from original boxy design to the new aero design. Now it's Farley trying to do what he can with the change as that was already undergoing by the time he took over. So the new aero EV will likely have a name change - as it should - with hopefully the originally-cancelled boxy EV proposal being resurrected as true 'Explorer' EV sometime soon. As I previously mentioned, there is a new ICE gen Explorer coming soon so there's time for the boxy Explorer EV to come out. So my speculation is that Farley's doing what he can to get the ongoing projects out to market, while possibly going through the previously-cancelled projects, and deciding which ones to resurrect. That's my only logical guess. But then again, it's Ford. They've done this before where they decide what the market should want and then wonder why customers don't buy them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

My only logical speculation with the design change is that perhaps it was Hackett that ordered the change from original boxy design to the new aero design. Now it's Farley trying to do what he can with the change as that was already undergoing by the time he took over.

Except while Farley wasn't CEO during the mach-e's development, he clearly held enough power to redirect that program. I feel like he would of had the same ability to do that with the ev explorer, especially considering how the program was canceled and rebooted. 

It feels like Ford instead went "You know that ugly mach-e design proposal that no-one liked? Yeah, let's bring that back". Personally, I think something like that blue sketch would have made for a much better three row SUV. Just seems like the design team kept getting told, make it more futuristic until they just threw up their hands and said screw it. 

mach-e-render-hero.jpg

Ford-Mustang_Mach-E-2021-800-a4.jpg

6 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Except while Farley wasn't CEO during the mach-e's development, he clearly held enough power to redirect that program. I feel like he would of had the same ability to do that with the ev explorer, especially considering how the program was canceled and rebooted. 

It feels like Ford instead went "You know that ugly mach-e design proposal that no-one liked? Yeah, let's bring that back". Personally, I think something like that blue sketch would have made for a much better three row SUV. Just seems like the design team kept getting told, make it more futuristic until they just threw up their hands and said screw it. 

mach-e-render-hero.jpg

Ford-Mustang_Mach-E-2021-800-a4.jpg

I like the blue version, but the silver version is horrible.  

Yeah if Farley didn’t like it he would have changed it.  I think this is 100% aero to get max range from smaller cheaper batteries.  I think we’ll also see a more traditionally styled Explorer BEV down the road.  They aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yeah if Farley didn’t like it he would have changed it.  I think this is 100% aero to get max range from smaller cheaper batteries.  I think we’ll also see a more traditionally styled Explorer BEV down the road.  They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Which makes sense when this one basically evolved from the boxy BEV Explorer,

so yes Ford’s priorities are new buyers, not replacing existing products.

If this EV looks like that silver version, I will be very curious to see what its sales rate is, because it appears to be generating a lot of negative emotions on this forum.  Of course a lot of people bought Priuses so it has that going for it.   

54 minutes ago, tbone said:

I like the blue version, but the silver version is horrible.  

That's exactly what I'm saying. Those are both design proposals for the mach-e. Well, the silver one was from when the car was apparently going to be called the e-max according to BORG. I just don't understand why Ford revisited that silver design, which looks terrible. But attractive designs like that blue sketch get shoved into a drawer and forgotten about. Ford needs to use that for an explorer, an electric escape, something, but they probably won't. 

17 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Those are both design proposals for the mach-e. Well, the silver one was from when the car was apparently going to be called the e-max according to BORG. I just don't understand why Ford revisited that silver design, which looks terrible. But attractive designs like that blue sketch get shoved into a drawer and forgotten about. Ford needs to use that for an explorer, an electric escape, something, but they probably won't. 

Huh?  The blue one was clearly the inspiration for the revised and current Mach-e.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Huh?  The blue one was clearly the inspiration for the revised and current Mach-e.

It was one of the design sketches for the mach-e. But it didn't really impact the final design. I can understand why, that sketch doesn't really suit a mustang suv. But it would look killer as one of Ford's other SUVs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbone said:

If this EV looks like that silver version, I will be very curious to see what its sales rate is, because it appears to be generating a lot of negative emotions on this forum.  Of course a lot of people bought Priuses so it has that going for it.   

That's the whole thing, nobody knows what it looks like.  People see a vehicle buried beneath a tarp and automatically assume the worst because the profile is unconventional.  I suspect this EV will be playing to a different audience.  Farley has said that customers who buy Ford's ICE vehicles may not like their upcoming EV models.  

I'll withhold any type of judgement until I finally see the finished product.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tbone said:

Many people have negative options about BEVs and seeing something polarizing is going to make the haters come out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Nah, genuinely see very little overlap between the two designs. They both have long hoods, but that's about it. 

I don’t really see it either. The profiles are completely different. Mach-e has a coupe like appearance where as the blue on looks more like a traditional suv.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I don’t really see it either. The profiles are completely different. Mach-e has a coupe like appearance where as the blue on looks more like a traditional suv.

The mach E has some clever camo using black paint on the rear to give it more of a fastback look to it. 

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Many people have negative options about BEVs and seeing something polarizing is going to make the haters come out.

That has nothing to do with it. If it were an ICE vehicle, they’d hate on it MORE since ev’s generally get a bit more leeway in their designs.  

It just not a very attractive design. The design might serve a purpose, but people want good looks too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

It just not a very attractive design. The design might serve a purpose, but people want good looks too. 

Its hard to tell anything with a cover on it. There's been countless examples of people hating something (me included) with camo on it. I wasn't sold on the 2024 Mustang even with a clear photo till I saw the production model. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its hard to tell anything with a cover on it. There's been countless examples of people hating something (me included) with camo on it. I wasn't sold on the 2024 Mustang even with a clear photo till I saw the production model. 

Yeah for sure, I was actually talking about the pic of the old version of the mach e. The other one who knows. The wedge design looks good on cars, in fact most exotics have a similar front end to some extent. I’m not so sure how well it will carry over to a suv though. The back end is were it falls apart for me. It could look really cool, but it’s hard to see how from that silhouette.

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It galls me to think that Ford had a boxy BEV Explorer but then reworked into this sleeker looking crossover. Clearly, they got cold feet over possibly taking production and sales away from CAP CD6 Explorer/Aviator. Perhaps Ford is not yet sold on the idea of mass migration of ICE buyers to BEVs so doesn’t want to kill Ford Blue production until later in the decade…..

Part of the problem is that Ford keeps changing its mind and second guessing original plans. They’re kinda hunting for the groove but honestly, it smacks of not really knowing what customers want or, maybe favouring new customers in BEVs over simply migrating existing ones.

What should be a no brainer product decision has turned into something that meets more obscure objectives, like maybe they want this to be more of a Tesla competitor?

The Explorer is a cash cow for Ford so maybe you’re right. John Savona was at Oakville a few months ago before he retired and said the product would be iconic. If it’s not an explorer then what is it?? How do we know that thing under the tarp is truly the final product. It looks like a giant Prius! They project this EV ford and Lincoln 7 seaters to sell a combined 200,000 units. I sure hope Farley is right as he seems to know what he’s doing for the most part.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think that is the smarter bet..why offer two products that can directly compete with one another when you can bring in a new product and possibly new customers to the brand then wind down the current ICE products as time goes down with a new product that will be even more improved?

I'd venture to guess this will be something like the Flex-a polarizing product that will have a small and dedicated following.

I'm curious as to how well the Blazer and Equinox EVs do when competing against the gas powered versions of the same nameplate..will they grow sales or just divide them up even more with just small gains?

I hope the small following you speak of is enough to facilitate 2 shifts of production. We need more than a small following, I know in the beginning we will build alot to scale up but I hope it’s successful. I really can’t wait to see these products so we can truly assess the products. For now it looks like a giant Prius under cloth. I also agree that differentiation from ice explorer aviator may be good but for the love of God please get the design right Ford!! Also on a forecasting site I only seen an EV Aviator Gt after 25. CAP was only showing ICE Explorer no ICE Aviator I bet that will change too! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

True enough and agreed. 

On 6/5/2023 at 6:08 AM, silvrsvt said:

I do have to say it certainly doesn't look boring. Guess we will see how it does. 

So if you've seen the final design, would you be a able to do a rough sketch for us? It doesn't have to be perfect, just something that gives us a vague idea of the general design cues. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tbone said:

On 6/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, pffan1990 said:

That made sense why the 'Explorer' name was going to be attached to the EV. It originally had the traditional Explorer design before they changed it. As I said in my previous post ('They can still do a true upright, boxy midsized TE1 EV with 'Explorer' and build that at BOC. Or as a GE2 at OAC if there's room for three EVs.'), they can still do the proper Explorer EV. There is a next gen ICE Explorer coming soon, IIRC, so there's time for a true Explorer EV to be sold alongside it. I'm guessing the 'Explorer' EV may have undergone similar route as the C-Max EV replacement where it was started over into what was eventually the Mustang Mach-E.

I just thought of something. When Farley spoke at the Capital Markets event, and discussed the upcoming the 3-row EV, he didn't actually call it Explorer. It was referred to having the interior room of ICE Expedition while being the size of ICE Explorer. No name of this EV was ever spoken at all. So could it be possible that Ford has changed the name to it? It's already been known and reported numerous times that the Explorer/Aviator EVs were going to OAC. Now all of a sudden, he didn't even mention any names to this new EV at all during the event presentation.

There’s room for 3 EVs OAC is huge 2 plants merged into 1 like MAP was. We were told we were getting 5 EVs which I felt was BS so if they wanted they can add a third which I’m very skeptical will happen! 

• Like 2