Some Ford Vehicles To Have 'Best In Class' Quality By 2025

That’s obviously behind the slow rollout of options on Ranger.  Get the basics right first.   Good to hear that they’re stopping production instead of just pushing ahead with known problems.  Let’s hope they’re doing the same thing with engineering.

• Like 2

I will agree with what someone said, why not strive to make your entire lineup best in class quality. I'm a little miffed that they seem to be focusing on quality for all their trucks except for the maverick. Almost makes you wonder if they even care about the maverick or maverick buyers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I will agree with what someone said, why not strive to make your entire lineup best in class quality. I'm a little miffed that they seem to be focusing on quality for all their trucks except for the maverick. Almost makes you wonder if they even care about the maverick or maverick buyers. 

i don’t know if the idea is to only focus on those.   I think it’s rather those are the main priority since they hit the biggest number of buyers.

I doubt they said “let’s do better quality on only these models, F*** the rest of them!!”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

It’s really not clear?  Because it requires hardware changes and additional personnel in the factory and I’m sure they want to trial it on a few plants and vehicles before rolling it out everywhere.  You don’t just flash cut something like this or you’ll end up redoing everything as you fine tune it.

It also probably means that Maverick quality is better than the rest.  That was certainly the case with the first Gen Fusions coming out of Hermosillo.

And this is only the assembly piece - they are most assuredly already working on engineering and design.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

It also probably means that Maverick quality is better than the rest. 

That is indeed the case. Consumer Reports rates Maverick as the most trouble-free Ford branded vehicle in its latest reliability survey. Maverick and Edge are the only Fords that were better than average.

maverick_CR.thumb.PNG.120cccf8e350d15c2647218b8f9d0aec.PNG

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That is indeed the case. Consumer Reports rates Maverick as the most trouble-free Ford branded vehicle in its latest reliability survey. Maverick and Edge are the only Fords that were better than average.

maverick_CR.thumb.PNG.120cccf8e350d15c2647218b8f9d0aec.PNG

Not bad, the hybrid system in the maverick has been around for ages, and is about as reliable as it gets. But our maverick's interior seems like it's clicking and rattling more when encountering road imperfections that it used to. Which is a little frustrating considering the truck is 6 months old with 1,800 miles on it. It could just be my imagination, who knows. 

6 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Not bad, the hybrid system in the maverick has been around for ages, and is about as reliable as it gets. But our maverick's interior seems like it's clicking and rattling more when encountering road imperfections that it used to. Which is a little frustrating considering the truck is 6 months old with 1,800 miles on it. It could just be my imagination, who knows. 

Thank you for sharing your Ford Maverick experience DeluxeStang. You are correct about the power-split hybrid powertrain in that vehicle, it's well known for its reliability. The P2 hybrid powertrain using 10R80 MHT transmission on F-150 PowerBoost, Explorer Hybrid, and Aviator Grand Touring by contrast has been plagued with problems.

The non-hybrid version of the 10R transmission has been quite troublesome too. Each of the vehicles Ford highlighted for its "best in class" quality target use that tranny, so maybe Ford has a plan to finally fix the issues with it?

image.png.1b8f1a9600433cb4ea691edc3d7708a4.png

Regarding the clicking and rattling in your Maverick, is it temperature dependent? Both cars my wife and I own (2021 Mustang Mach-E and 2018 Tesla Model S) seem to be more rattle prone on days with a wide temperature range, especially in the early springtime.

I can't comment on any vehicle but the Super Duty presently (though I hear the Maverick is very good).  As for the Super Duty, quality-wise it's running a distant 3rd.  I think it may be longer than 2 years for it to gain parity with GM or Ram.  Maybe not until the next generation is introduced.   

At this point, most peoples reaction to Ford's announcement will be this:

Ford needs to be serious and follow through for years in order for this to turn around, especially after having class leading quality and throwing away the reputation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

J.D. Power Initial Quality Study results for 2023 were released last week. To no one's surprise, Ford and Lincoln are below average, with both brands having over 200 problems per 100 vehicles. Ford Motor Company has a long way to go until it achieves best in class quality.

2023063a.JPG?itok=_gMHxGcE

Edited by rperez817

So much of that IQS chart doesn't jive with longer term stats.  Not saying Ford would move much.

But Kia/Hyundia should be in the crapper with engine failures and theft galore.

Honda has had issues with their 1.5 turbo engine.

Nissan has had issues with CVT's big time.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

And Toyota is right next to Ford also below average.  But nobody will mention that.

Genuinely pisses me off how Toyota and other Japanese car brands seem to get away with having issues, or recalls. But when Ford does it, people are like, yep I told you Fix Or Repair Daily. Toyota engines are popping off at less than 20k miles left and right at the moment, but everyone just ignore it. Meanwhile, Ford performs a recall to fix the roof rail cover clamps on 2011-19 explorers and everyone acts like it proves Ford is garbage. 

That double standard is actually one of the many reasons why I went from a JDM fanboy growing up, to someone who will probably never own a Japanese car. The Koreans do everything better than Japanese car brands these days anyways. I feel as though American and Korean brands and Japanese brands are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Toyota and Honda sell cars based on how their cars were perceived in '95. Whereas Ford and Kia are like, ignore our past, we're better now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Genuinely pisses me off how Toyota and other Japanese car brands seem to get away with having issues, or recalls. But when Ford does it, people are like, yep I told you Fix Or Repair Daily. 

I hear ya, try working there. People act like it’s single-handedly my fault when they find out that’s where I work. 

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

So much of that IQS chart doesn't jive with longer term stats.  Not saying Ford would move much.

To be fair, newer Toyota engines seem to be having major longevity issues. New Tundras are having engine issues at like 5k miles. There are quite a few Toyotas where the engines are grenadine themselves, particularly the gr86, but also the Yaris and Corolla. Regarding Honda, I've heard their automatic transmissions may as well be made of glass with how many issues they've had over the last few decades. 

Kia and Hyundai are actually quite good, our '09 Rio may have been an extremely basic car, but in the 15 years we've owned it, it far surpassed the dependability of our Hondas/Toyotas. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I hear ya, try working there. People act like it’s single-handedly my fault when they find out that’s where I work. 

That angers me as well. I'd say Ford's one of the most opinionated automotive brands in the world. One would imagine if you told someone you worked at Ford, it would be a 50/50 of them either being like, I love Ford, that's awesome, or them insulting you. 

I feel like Ford is a sins of the father type of company. Where someone would be mad at you or judge you because they had a bad experience with a '87 fiesta. It's like, I wasn't even working at Ford back then dude, why are you attacking me for it? 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's very unfortunate, I wish people would understand that Ford's quality woes are a result of the company's dysfunctional and toxic corporate culture and that executives and managers are responsible for this situation. The blame absolutely should not be on individual Ford plant employees, it's not their fault! 

Are you still affiliated with Michigan Assembly Plant? A couple of the few bright spots for Ford in the 2023 IQS are the #1 ranking for Ford Ranger in the Midsize Pickup Truck segment, and Top 3 finishes for the vehicles assembled at Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant (Maverick and Bronco Sport).

image.png.099f59f3152e3feaaaa34a6f0dca7ac1.png

4 hours ago, 92merc said:

IQS is more about who does better factory QC and dealer prep than actual quality.  Ford has been terrible at both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

He won’t unless it’s something positive 

That was directed at me not rperez.

I didn’t see it or I would have absolutely mentioned it especially given all the hype around gigafactories and making 37 improvements every day.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

IQS is more about who does better factory QC and dealer prep than actual quality.  Ford has been terrible at both.

IQS has 2 major components.

1. Defects and malfunctions. Factory QC and dealer prep influence this part, but engineering also plays a significant role.
  2. Design related problems. This part is largely beyond the control of factory and dealership employees, as it is governed by decisions made by an OEM's designers and engineers prior to production.

Ford does better in the latter than the former, even though they have a lot of room for improvement in both. Former Ford CEO Jim Hackett's design thinking has made a positive impact on the latter.

Edited by rperez817