Ford Sales May 2023

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

ford-may-2023-u-s-sales-data.pdfhttps://s201.q4cdn.com/693218008/files/doc_news/2023/06/ford-may-2023-u-s-sales-data.pdf
Inventory and production at above link

F Series sales back at 70,000 is a good sign

I wonder why Mach-E sales are down so much. Did they not ramp up production?? I will say it’s too expensive but that’s not good. Jim Farley projected 160000 plus units a year, this downward trend better stop.

19 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I wonder why Mach-E sales are down so much. Did they not ramp up production?? I will say it’s too expensive but that’s not good. Jim Farley projected 160000 plus units a year, this downward trend better stop.

13,100 Mach E’s in inventory as of the start of June….are they free units or are they customer orders?

29 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

13,100 Mach E’s in inventory as of the start of June….are they free units or are they customer orders?

50 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Could be the change in BEV credits

• Like 1

I would have to agree that it could be a change in the tax credits and the production pause as well. As for the numbers on the lots is that not excess inventory?? They’re now producing much more of them and sales are down? Hopefully this doesn’t turn into an ongoing trend.

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I remember reading that the plant was down in February and some of March to make improvements so they can increase volume. That might have something to do with it. 

That's correct fuzzymoomoo. Ford stated the following in its 1Q 2023 report, looks like the changes at CSAP had an impact on both April and May 2023 Mustang Mach-E sales. Fords-First-Quarter-Volumes-Sales-Profits-Cash-Flow-All-Up-Distinct-Segments-Sharpen-Focus-Speed-Accountability.pdf (q4cdn.com)

Ford Model e, which operates like a startup, is rapidly developing innovative electric vehicles along with breakthrough digital capabilities for deployment across the company’s entire product line. Quarterly shipments of and revenue from EVs were limited by production interruptions of two highly popular vehicles: the Mustang Mach-E SUV, to make industrial changes that will nearly double manufacturing capacity, and the F-150 Lightning pickup, to isolate and address a battery issue before it became a problem for customers.

Edited by rperez817

15 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Every Mach-e that I have seen in inventory on a dealer lot is a standard range model.  I suspect there are not many people wanting standard range models.

There’s about 4,500 Mach Es in dealer stock and about 8,500 more built/ in transit so it will be interesting 

to see how many have the bigger battery. Another month should tell us if Ford is in trouble with wrong mix.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Every Mach-e that I have seen in inventory on a dealer lot is a standard range model.  I suspect there are not many people wanting standard range models.

The extended range option has basically been a restricted commodity since the Mustang Mach-E was introduced. I'd consider it a supply chain issue mostly with the majority of the extended range production going to fulfill retail customer orders. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

What’s going on with explorer? That looks to be a pretty big drop. Still up YTD though.

Higher than avg month in 2022.  That’s why these monthly comparisons are worthless without knowing what happened in the surrounding months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Higher than avg month in 2022.  That’s why these monthly comparisons are worthless without knowing what happened in the surrounding months.

Traditionally, at the dealership level, the Explorer inventory in stock and sales would vary widely every few months. Dealers would get relatively large allocation that would arrive a couple of months later, sales would increase from stock afterwards, but the future allocation would drop substantially, or completely, until the dealership's inventory numbers were updated in Ford's systems. As such, the Explorer inventory and sales numbers at the dealership would see saw dramatically. The wide swings in numbers at the dealership level were far more pronounced for the Explorer than any other model due to the allocation, scheduling, production and reporting times which was somehow different for Explorer. It may seem strange, or possibly an undetected glitch in Ford's systems, compared to other vehicle lines but that was the case for Explorer for many years. 

22 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Perhaps there are even fewer people who can afford the longer-range larger battery.  It’s hard to say.  IMO a lot comes down to perceived value and affordability.  Range on standard RWD Mach-E is fairly good, so maybe higher cost is what Ford and dealers are trying to avoid.

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

Perhaps there are even fewer people who can afford the longer-range larger battery.  It’s hard to say.  IMO a lot comes down to perceived value and affordability.  Range on standard RWD Mach-E is fairly good, so maybe higher cost is what Ford and dealers are trying to avoid.

Now that Mach E production has finally increased to around 13,000 per month, sales need to increase to that level or Ford will have a real problem with rising unsold inventory. Either way, you’ll have an answer in the next month or so, I hope Ford hasn’t lost all their Mach E buyers….

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Now that Mach E production has finally increased to around 13,000 per month, sales need to increase to that level or Ford will have a real problem with rising unsold inventory. Either way, you’ll have an answer in the next month or so, I hope Ford hasn’t lost all their Mach E buyers….

Agree next month will reveal much.  We’ll also have to keep an eye on pricing because sales promoted by deep price cuts can be as bad if not sustainable. 

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Traditionally, at the dealership level, the Explorer inventory in stock and sales would vary widely every few months. Dealers would get relatively large allocation that would arrive a couple of months later, sales would increase from stock afterwards, but the future allocation would drop substantially, or completely, until the dealership's inventory numbers were updated in Ford's systems. As such, the Explorer inventory and sales numbers at the dealership would see saw dramatically. The wide swings in numbers at the dealership level were far more pronounced for the Explorer than any other model due to the allocation, scheduling, production and reporting times which was somehow different for Explorer. It may seem strange, or possibly an undetected glitch in Ford's systems, compared to other vehicle lines but that was the case for Explorer for many years. 

You'd think it'd be more averaged out.  Sounds like a terrible system.