Ford CEO Farley Not Optimistic About Building Every 2023 Maverick Order

Ford CEO Farley Not Optimistic About Building Every 2023 Maverick Order

Even with more plant capacity, still so much more demand than expected

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/05/ford-ceo-farley-not-optimistic-about-building-every-2023-maverick-order/

Autoblog.com_2023 Maverick Tremor.jpg

Ford's managed to increase Maverick production at its Hermosillo, Mexico plant by a healthy amount. According to production figures posted at Maverick Truck Club, May was the first time this year that 2023-model-year pickup output reached double digits; from 8,694 units in January to 11,061 in May. That output will continue to increase thanks to Ford hiring 1,100 new direct employees for a third shift at the factory, and 5,000 indirect employees. It's likely that none of this will be enough to clear the backlog of Mavericks for this model year. During the same shareholder event where Ford CEO Jim Farley used the new F-Series Super Duty as an example of the automaker's quality focus, he answered a question about Maverick production with some pessimism about clearing the 2023 backlog. "We have a capacity increase in July at the plant, that will help. Unfortunately, we completely undercalled the demand for the Maverick, so I'm not confident even with the capacity increase that we're going to have a lot of Mavericks available to everyone."

The boss noted that there's a ten-day supply of Mavericks at dealers, so, ostensibly, the regrettable news only applies to buyers waiting for reservations. Compare that to Cox Auto writing at the end of April that F-150 inventory was built up to 97 days of supply. But the meager Maverick inventory means buyers who show up at lots are often asked to pay dealer premiums for the privilege of taking one of the compact pickups home.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

• 4 months later...

My wife’s ‘23 Maverick finally arrived! Took thirteen months. We’re keeping her Edge (I think - we’ll keep the Edge or the 2010 Flex, TBD - Edge needs some work) for our son, who just started drivers ed, so our fleet is now red (Lightning), white (Edge), and Blue (Maverick) representing Fords North American production, Dearborn (Lightning), Ontario (Edge _and Flex]), and Hermosillo (Maverick). It’s my ninth Ford, and fifth from my salesman. It’s a very dark blue, and has a lot of fun features. We did not get the hybrid because we wanted the 4K towing package.

render.6433B713-A36D-4355-9764-8AECE14A60BA.jpeg

Edited by sullynd
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:19 PM, sullynd said:

My wife’s ‘23 Maverick finally arrived! Took thirteen months. We’re keeping her Edge (I think - we’ll keep the Edge or the 2010 Flex, TBD - Edge needs some work) for our son, who just started drivers ed, so our fleet is now red (Lightning), white (Edge), and Blue (Maverick) representing Fords North American production, Dearborn (Lightning), Ontario (Edge _and Flex]), and Hermosillo (Maverick). It’s my ninth Ford, and fifth from my salesman. It’s a very dark blue, and has a lot of fun features. We did not get the hybrid because we wanted the 4K towing package.

render.6433B713-A36D-4355-9764-8AECE14A60BA.jpeg

Looks great, congrats!!

Now you get to look forward to insurance for a new male teen driver, lol.  

Edited by tbone
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:19 PM, sullynd said:

Dang, that looks familiar! Best of luck, HRG

IMG_1024 (2).JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good thing all dealers are different. Long McArthur didn't not take new 24 orders in the beginning of the MY.Now that they're confident all 23 and 24 will be built they are taking new 24 orders and thinking about placing stock orders.