New York State Window Tint Law

So purchased my truck from Wyoming and has factory tinted driver and passenger side windows. label on window says Ford Solar tint transp. 70% min.
the law states 30% but the dealer failed it.
Are they wrong they offered to remove it for $35 each?

image.thumb.jpeg.eba1f4a181f2815374ed44be32c263ee.jpeg

• ice-capades changed the title to New York State Window Tint Law
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2024 at 2:13 PM, tricountytrail said:

So purchased my truck from Wyoming and has factory tinted driver and passenger side windows. label on window says Ford Solar tint transp. 70% min.
the law states 30% but the dealer failed it.
Are they wrong they offered to remove it for $35 each?

image.thumb.jpeg.eba1f4a181f2815374ed44be32c263ee.jpeg

Where/how does New York fit into this?  You mentioned Wyoming (WY), so I can’t seem to connect New York to this.  Anyway, 70% transparency means 30% tint, so what is the issue, since in NY it is compliant?  

In Wyoming, the law says 72% transparency (28% tint), but the label says 70% minimum, which means it could be in compliance if someone wanted to test it.

Edited by NH_Bulldog

35 minutes ago, NH_Bulldog said:

Where/how does New York fit into this?  You mentioned Wyoming (WY), so I can’t seem to connect New York to this.  Anyway, 70% transparency means 30% tint, so what is the issue, since in NY it is compliant?  

In Wyoming, the law says 72% transparency (28% tint), but the label says 70% minimum, which means it could be in compliance if someone wanted to test it.

Purchased in Wyoming but assuming he lives in NY.

1 hour ago, NH_Bulldog said:

You have that wrong on Wyoming.  Wyoming is a minimum of 28% Visible Light Transmission, i.e. 72% tinted.  https://codes.findlaw.com/wy/title-31-motor-vehicles/wy-st-sect-31-5-962/

70% VLT is the highest of any of the states and D.C., so the Ford factory tint meets tint requirements in all 50 states and D.C. by allowing a minimum of 70% VLT.  There is nothing that should need to be done.  It is legal everywhere.

40 minutes ago, George C said:

No added tint to front seat windows/windshield in NY, period. 

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

Tinted windows

Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections.  A video about this change is available on YouTube.  

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
    • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

You have to remember, New York is a northern state. The sun isn’t as bright as it is in the south. I did tint one off my trucks in previous years and found that I could hardly see out of it at night if it was raining. Too dark.

Edited by George C

9 hours ago, George C said:

You have to remember, New York is a northern state. The sun isn’t as bright as it is in the south. I did tint one off my trucks in previous years and found that I could hardly see out of it at night if it was raining. Too dark.

The sun was pretty bright today :lol2: