Corvette insecurity?

centerpunch

I said it but retracted it, stating it was a bit harsh. I don't think it will be a success though. It has nothing to do with the competition outside of Ford. I think there are better choices within Ford's lineup. The Freestyle gets the same mileage, weighs less, seats 7, costs about the same, and has the benefits of a unibody CUV. The Explorer gets around the same mileage, seats 7, and has the benefits of a BOF SUV. If you wanna just seat 5, well, you can get a more efficient package in the Escape. I think you start getting an SUV/CUV much over 25K and it better seat 7 or have some sort of added "premium."

Now with the 3.5L, the Edge really moves. Perhaps if it was marketed as a "Premium" SUV and branded as a Mercury, perhaps to compete with the Acura RDX, I think it would be a hit. But as a Ford, I dunno.

But what do I know? I absolutely love the Freestyle and 500 and you see what happened there.

Edited by bec5150

Here's what I will base my idea of a success. It has to be the 2nd highest selling SUV/CUV in Ford's lineup.

I will maintain that it will, instead, be proably the second LOWEST selling SUV/CUV in Ford's lineup in six months, right above the Freestyle. Still can't get over why the Freestyle hasn't sold better. Drove one, loved it.

Here's what I will base my idea of a success. It has to be the 2nd highest selling SUV/CUV in Ford's lineup.

I will maintain that it will, instead, be proably the second LOWEST selling SUV/CUV in Ford's lineup in six months, right above the Freestyle. Still can't get over why the Freestyle hasn't sold better. Drove one, loved it.

I do not know Bec I think the Edge is going to be a pleasant surprise in the sales dept.

So far I'm batting a thousand on these predictions. It will not do as well as well as it could due to Ford's Rep. But I,m betting that the conquest sales will be quite high on this unit. Proboly will see many Current 500 and Fusion owners add the Edge to there shopping list when looking for a mininvan type of vehical.

If Ford actually adveritzies the thing and does not botch the launch it should do well. I'm not sure it will have staying power though the jury is still out on that one.

As for the Freestyle no mystery there it is a minivan in a different wrapper with really nothing earth shattering to set it apart in the ride handleing dept. And the styling certainly did not make up for what it lacked. IMHO

Matthew

Are we speaking of monthly sales, or sales by model year? Seeing as the Edge/MkX is entering the model year at midterm, that's kind of hedging your bets. ;)

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...mp;#entry107834

Sounds like he spammed a few forums with links to his eBay auction, the Corvette forum banned him.

Then posted here about the insecurity of Vette owners. While that may or may not be true, but like I said, I run a large forum (not automotive related) and when people join and advertise something right away, I just delete their posts and user accounts outright. No warning, no hand holding, just "Buh bye". The TOS and rules are clearly posted in the forum and when you join, if you can't abide by them then hit the road.

We don't pay money and server fees to be somebody's free classified section.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

I learned alot today shopping with my father-in-law. He said the ONLY reason he didn't like the Freestyle is because "it looks like a wagon and I don't want a wagon." What is an SUV/CUV if not a glorified station wagon. I guess I don't think like most folks.

Anyway, he's lookin at a new or used SUV. He's not a Ford guy but he might get an Escape. We'll see.

Loved the Mazda CX-7, but he want's to stay under 20K if possible. The new Mitsubishi Outlander might find an audience. It has a small third row seat for kid and the whole package isn't much bigger than an Escape.

As far as my predition, I was going on monthly sales.

I learned alot today shopping with my father-in-law. He said the ONLY reason he didn't like the Freestyle is because "it looks like a wagon and I don't want a wagon." What is an SUV/CUV if not a glorified station wagon. I guess I don't think like most folks.

I often wonder about that myself, except a station wagon is probably more practical for 90% of SUV drivers. Gotta have that image, though. Since a high percentage of SUV's are driven by soccer moms and never go off road, why are minivans considered mommy-mobiles?

I actually like the Freestyle because it looks more like a wagon than SUV. It is on my list for my wife's new car in June of '07, but after driving one in the rain I found it transmitted an awful lot of road noise to the cabin. Maybe the '07 is better insulated.

Anyway, he's lookin at a new or used SUV. He's not a Ford guy but he might get an Escape. We'll see.

Loved the Mazda CX-7, but he want's to stay under 20K if possible. The new Mitsubishi Outlander might find an audience. It has a small third row seat for kid and the whole package isn't much bigger than an Escape.

You can buy a Explorer for less than an Edge and the Escape is thousands less.

The Murano and Pacifica don't sell in big numbers and I don't see the Edge doing much better.

To much competition and limited demand for a 5 seat crossover at that price point.

You can buy a Explorer for less than an Edge and the Escape is thousands less.

The Murano and Pacifica don't sell in big numbers and I don't see the Edge doing much better.

To much competition and limited demand for a 5 seat crossover at that price point.

Agreed. I got this feeling it's not going to be the stellar sales performer that many have speculated.

It depends on how much volume they are looking for. The Edge seems like a questionable value unless it can be sold heavily on its style and features. The Edge is not exactly feature-packed, but it does come with a good drivetrain and a mega sunroof. The other features you can get in every other Ford vehicle (thankfully).

The Freestyle costs as much as an Edge, but I think you'll find that the Edge is much more desirable to specific customers. I don't think you'll find many cross-shopping those two products. I would much rather have an Edge over the Freestyle for example, and I would pay more for less versatility if it meant a more attractive vehicle.

Edited by Edgey

It depends on how much volume they are looking for. The Edge seems like a questionable value unless it can be sold heavily on its style and features. The Edge is not exactly feature-packed, but it does come with a good drivetrain and a mega sunroof. The other features you can get in every other Ford vehicle (thankfully).

The Freestyle costs as much as an Edge, but I think you'll find that the Edge is much more desirable to specific customers. I don't think you'll find many cross-shopping those two products. I would much rather have an Edge over the Freestyle for example, and I would pay more for less versatility if it meant a more attractive vehicle.

I still thnk the Edge would have made a helluva entry level "luxury" SUV for Lincoln or Mercury. On the Ford lot, the Edge is a good argument to buy one of Ford's other SUV/CUV offerings.

Well, Ford's 100k minimum estimate equates to about 8,500 units a month. So it looks like Ford's low end target is about where they'd like the Expy to be (which ALSO starts out within the Edge price range). So it looks like Ford's minimum success is your maximum failure.

Interesting what happens when we set our own yardsticks?

Ford's aiming for annualized 100-130k when the line's up to speed. Anecdotal excitement of dealers (including normal grinches like the Auto "please stop us from ordering more vehicles" Nation guy), and unexpected consumer feedback "That's a Ford?"

My fearless prediction is that it will sell below it's prediction. If the Edge sells over 100K in a year, then I was wrong.

Oh, and one caveot. They can't throw thousands on the hood, 0%, employee pricing, etc.

Sounds reasonable. If they cannot sell 100k after the line is up to speed it will be a major failure.

The way they are launching it could be a long time until the line is up to speed.

Well, Ford's 100k minimum estimate equates to about 8,500 units a month. So it looks like Ford's low end target is about where they'd like the Expy to be (which ALSO starts out within the Edge price range). So it looks like Ford's minimum success is your maximum failure.

Interesting what happens when we set our own yardsticks?

Ford's aiming for annualized 100-130k when the line's up to speed. Anecdotal excitement of dealers (including normal grinches like the Auto "please stop us from ordering more vehicles" Nation guy), and unexpected consumer feedback "That's a Ford?"

The Edge FWD is price comparable to V6 equipped Camry's & Accord's. I think most of the sales for the Edge will come from people who are in the market for 5 passenger V6 powered sedans that want a little more room & utility.

The Edge FWD is price comparable to V6 equipped Camry's & Accord's. I think most of the sales for the Edge will come from people who are in the market for 5 passenger V6 powered sedans that want a little more room & utility.

You pretty much summed me up in a nutshell and why I have an Edge on order. I'm coming from a Grand Marquis, so "more room" is subjective. The GM has a monster trunk. But I don't use it much. The Edge will have more "usable" room, for what I do anyway.

I'm hoping Ford can do 100k units a year. But I'm not counting on it. I think it'll sell well, probably out pace the Murano. But it's not going to do anywhere near the F150 sales volume...

My fearless prediction is that it will sell below it's prediction. If the Edge sells over 100K in a year, then I was wrong.

Oh, and one caveot. They can't throw thousands on the hood, 0%, employee pricing, etc.

Sure, and we can't count cars sold on Tuesdays and odd numbered months. :hysterical:

They have rebates and financing on Mustangs, are you trying to say that it's a bomb too?

A sale is a sale is a sale. You're the one who opened your yap and "said it's going to bomb". And it's not even six days, not six months in and you want to backpedal already by putting conditions on the sales? :doh:

Doesn't seem to matter for Toyota and Honda that have rebates? You're not saying their cars are bombing, and they're offering rebates.

If people don't like the Edge, they won't buy it no matter what, just like nobody's buying the Freestar.

:stats: