Parked next to a new Fusion....

Ovaltine

Gee 2005Explorer.... you think so???? :rolleyes:

Then right affter that test, let's go line up a Ford Focus against the new Hyundai Sonata (or upcoming Sonata-based redesigned KIA Optima) and replay the same test criteria. Who do you think will win that one? Hmmmm?

Better yet.... why not run the Sonata up against the Fusion and see what happens performance wise. Oh... Car and Driver already did, and here's what they said about the Hyundai (KIA's parent corp):

"This new four-door has frisky moves. In acceleration it leaves the Toyota and Ford far behind, tying the fleet Honda at 6.6 seconds from 0 to 60, then dropping back to finish the quarter-mile at 15.3 seconds at 93 mph."

also noted was:

In braking, the Sonata outstopped all the others at 181 feet from 70 mph. In cornering grip it tied the Honda at 0.79 g.

Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...5&page_number=3

While the Fusion did beat the Sonata out by the slimmest of margins (less than 6 points out of 250) in C&D's review, the more vehicle class-appropriate Sonata appears to beat the Ford in every performance criteria you mention above.

And as I've been pointing out (AHEM!), C&D had this to say about the Fusion's fit and finish (note that they also take exception to some molding lines on the Hyundai):

Ford obviously tried to design the front sheetmetal so it could be assembled with loose tolerances and, therefore, low manufacturing cost. Very sensible, we think, but it should be done in a way that escapes the customer's notice. From certain angles, our test car's hood gap was so wide it looked to be unlatched. All around the car, the Fusion's panel gaps are wider than those of the comparison cars. And like the Hyundai, it's not good at smoothing the parting lines on molded parts. "Fit and finish" is the Fusion's weakest rating category.

The bottom line here gets back to what my post was ORIGINALLY about. Fit and finish. My Focus-class Spectra has it in spades over the couple of early production Fusions I've observed. I *wasn't* making a case about the performance of the two cars. However, since you try to zing my posting using that angle, the C&D article quoted above should soundly squelch your bit of "red herring" analysis. Keep the "apples" with the "apples" when the urge to compare *downwards* to prove superiority strikes.

As an epilogue to this, I found another VERY sloppy application on a nearby Fusion yesterday. I wasn't going to post it here unless I had to pop back on this topic. Check out the visibility of the edge of the inner rear plastic fender walls where the rear quarter and bumper fascia meet. Yikes! I checked both sides of the car to make sure that it wasn't just a bad fit on one side, and it wasn't! The edge of the plastic fender wall was sticking past the fender/bumper into the open fender area both above and below the line where the fender/fascia meet. It's hard to describe, but instead of the fender wall edge being tucked back and behind the opening lip, it stuck/drooped down into the opening so it was *very* visible. I again used my Spectra as a benchmark and saw nothing similar to that, although the inner wall design is similar. I also examined a nearby Accord and other late model midsize cars and couldn't see a similar condition.

Hopefully this can be (again) chalked up to early fit and finish problems, BUT after reading C&D's article I'm beginning to wonder.

Time will tell.

-Ovaltine

Good one!!!! :lol: :lol:

I like your sense of humor.

-Ovaltine

Then go buy a Sonata is that is what your heart desires. I don't understand why you even care since you have no interest in the Fusion and think it is a total piece of crap. You don't see me wasting my time over on GM Inside News bashing the Malibu or the G6, because I have no interest in those cars. You don't like the Fusion, no big deal, go buy another car. If you feel the Sonata is the best car that ever rolled down an assembly line, then by all means you should purchase it or another model you like. You have already made up your mind that you don't like the Fusion, so why even waste your time looking at the thing.

Edited by 2005Explorer

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless car and driver had a pretty well beat fusion then that might explain their front end body gap issues, but the few I looked at on the road and at the dealer the front end seemed pretty tight as far as fit and finish, the door seals thought did stick out more than Id like them to.

Then go buy a Sonata is that is what your heart desires. I don't understand why you even care since you have no interest in the Fusion and think it is a total piece of crap. You don't see me wasting my time over on GM Inside News bashing the Malibu or the G6, because I have no interest in those cars. You don't like the Fusion, no big deal, go buy another car. If you feel the Sonata is the best car that ever rolled down an assembly line, then by all means you should purchase it or another model you like. You have already made up your mind that you don't like the Fusion, so why even waste your time looking at the thing.

Come now.... let's not resort to "straw man" arguments here. I *never* said that the Fusion is crap nor that I had no interest in it. If you read my original post that started this thread, I simply stated this premise:

"I parked my new-design 2005 KIA Spectra next to an attractive new silver Ford Fusion SEL today at work.

The Fusion appeared to be very nice. The Fusion (and 500 for that matter) really do show *huge* improvements in Ford product (at least on the surface). That cannot be denied.

But why is it that I can find several "little" things about the Fusion that's missing (IMHO), and that even KIA has managed to nail????

Since I haven't sat in or ridden in a Fusion yet, I can't make any further comparisons. But I will say that when the panel gaps, paint, and general fit and finish of Korea's supposed "bottom end" manufacturer starts coming close or surpassing the quality of any of the major players, then those major players need to ratchet it up another notch or two."

My interest in all of this is to simply point out to the people from FoMoCo who read these boards (and there are many... I'm sure) that little things like I'm pointing out DON'T escape the eyes and perception of the Joe and Jane America's that buy their products. I am using my cheap (but well made) new-gen KIA as a yardstick to measure the all new "Great White Hope" of Ford up to.

As I said above, if Ford can't beat the Koreans on the little things on a flagship product, then they NEED to sweat the details a bit more.

I'm hoping that they're up to the task. I really do. I still have a lot of friends and neighbors whose jobs DEPEND on the Blue Oval. But to stick yours/theirs/our heads in the proverbial sand and ignore things like I and others report is not the approach that's going to win the ultimate race.

What worries me is the stories that my friend, the ex-Ford Vehicle Program Manager tells me, coupled with the production line and inferior part quality stories my next door neighbor the Ford Truck plant employee tells me. Add to that my 8+ years of experience seeing how things worked at FPSD, EEE, and the old NAAO, and I really hope that Bill Jr. and his gang are *serious* about the latest shakeup. Time is of the essence.

And speaking of "time", as usual, rock-and-roll offers up a profound bit of observation in the insightful lyrics of Pink Floyd's "Time".

In the battle for automotive supremacy, let these lyrics serve as a wake-up call.

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have gone behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

What worries me is the stories that my friend, the ex-Ford Vehicle Program Manager tells me, coupled with the production line and inferior part quality stories my next door neighbor the Ford Truck plant employee tells me. Add to that my 8+ years of experience seeing how things worked at FPSD, EEE, and the old NAAO, and I really hope that Bill Jr. and his gang are *serious* about the latest shakeup. Time is of the essence.

and if you knew people in the food business you wouldnt eat out anymore either .....

and if you knew people in the food business you wouldnt eat out anymore either .....

You know... I *have* heard that before. Esp. from a friend of mine who once worked at a Chinese restaurant delivering take-out.

He was actually the branch manager at a computer consulting firm in Dearborn I worked for. Whenever we'd go out to lunch to discuss business he'd NEVER let us pick a Chinese restaurant for lunch. He never told us any of the gory details, but he just told us to trust him. Heh heh.

Btw, does your comment infer that someone on the line may have spit in my new car's cupholder?

:lol:

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

no, its the reality of most industries. People see and hear things they dont like when they work in them. Sure the negativeness of a comment is sort of coming from the horses mouth but there is someone in every factory, every industry that "produces" that will have negative and somewhat disturbing things to tell you.

Here's my take on it:

I've had some seat time in the brand new Sonata, I had one for a rental while I was in LA. Hyundai did their homework with that car, and to be quite honest I like the styling (it may not stand out much, but they copied the Honda rear-end and made it look much better than any Accord will look). With that said I still didn't feel as if I was in anything special. Read cheesy.

Not to say that the Fusion/Milan make you feel as if you are King Tut, but I walked away from both cars with a feeling that there was a reason behind the extra money that a typical consumer would pay over a comparibly equipped Sonata. Hyundai makes a really decent car these days, but everytime I'm in one or see one, I feel as if its lacking something.

As far as C&D is concerned, the car that they received was one of the first ones to roll off the assembly line. They received that car in early September early August (I think), and before that comparo went to print I had to question why they were complaining when they knew the circumstances. Do you think they bothered to note that? Nope! I have yet to sit in a Fusion/Milan/Zephyr with build quality issues such as the one that they had. As a matter of fact they went so far to say:

Inside, the Fusion is the first Ford car to benefit from the tasteful styling and outstanding fit and finish that have impressed everyone in the Ford F-series pickups. The dashboard looks rich and feels cushy, the knobs and the switches work smoothly, and the piano-black finish on the dashboard trim is a welcome relief from the endless wood-grain variations used elsewhere.

....found in this write up http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=9973

I clicked in on a thread called "I had a free afternoon, so I drove some midsizers... " started on 1/8/06 on Autoweek.com under the "Automakers" forum. Another person responded today, so it bubbled to the top of the list and caught my attention.

Posted was the *exact* kind of feedback I'm trying to warn the powers on high about.

Check it out for yourself....

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?for...=25605&tstart=0

-Ovaltine

Ovaltine,,, Are you a ford employee???

If you are UNFRICKEN believable,,

A KIA to a Ford, I will take any ford, In fact I would drive a used Fairmont wagon before I drove a KIA.

What Edmunds.com Says

For the first time in nearly two decades, Ford has a high-quality midsize sedan that can go toe-to-toe with the imports while maintaining a distinctly American style.

Pros

Cutting-edge looks, upscale interior, tight construction, confident handling, competitive price.

To address the SAFETY concerns of family sedan buyers, Ford strengthened the car's platform in various areas. The B-pillars, between the front and rear doors, are reinforced above the car's beltline to direct side-impact energy down and away from passengers. The roof structure is similarly reinforced to pass proposed rollover crush standards that won't take effect until 2009, and an optional side airbag package offers seat-deployed torso airbags for front passengers and side curtain airbags that protect both front and rear occupants.

It may be a bit overdue, but it would appear Ford's Fusion was worth the wait.

DriveWire.com

2006 Ford Fusion: Driving Impressions

The Mazda6 and Ford Focus have established themselves as class-leading cars when it comes to handling. Ford openly admits that it's taken these traits from the two cars to make sure the Fusion inherits the same attributes. Judging by our all-too-brief test drive in a V6-powered Fusion SEL we can say they have succeeded.

On the road, the Ford Fusion feels bigger than it looks, but it handled curvy mountain roads above Hollywood with ease. The rack-and-pinion steering was precise with just the right amount of weight to make the driver feel connected to the road without being twitchy.

SLT.COM

Everything looks and feels first-rate.

In the past, a car that handled well often came with a stiff ride. That's certainly not the case with the Fusion. Its long wheelbase and wide track puts the four wheels at the corners for good handling and a better ride. The front suspension is a short/long arm design while the rear wheels are anchored through a multi-link setup. Improved bushings and hydraulic engine mounts keep vibration and road noise to a minimum.

“The three things we wanted to emphasize were ride comfort, steering precision and confident handling,†he said. “The body structure is very stiff — even more so than the Mazda6.â€

A day of driving a V-6/six-speed automatic around L.A. and environs provided plenty of evidence that those targets were hit. Performance, if not zoomy, is peppy, the suspension is compliant without being mushy and the body is free of squeaks and rattles

Finally, Ford has priced Fusion right. A well-equipped four-banger — four-wheel disc brakes, 16-inch wheels, CD/MP3 audio, power windows/locks/ mirrors, air, tilt/telescoping wheel — goes for $17,795. The V-6 starts at $21,275. Those prices will make Accord and Camry take notice.

Ovaltine,,, Are you a ford employee???

If you are UNFRICKEN believable.

No..... I'm not. BUT I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A KIA to a Ford, I will take any ford, In fact I would drive a used Fairmont wagon before I drove a KIA.

Seriously though. Think about your inane exclamation about *actually* wanting to drive a '70s technology Fairmont instead of a KIA (a Spectra like mine for example). Put your American flag away for a minute and examine that statement. If you *truly* believe the things you espouse, then I wish you the best of luck in the future, 'cause YOU GONNA NEED IT!

I don't expect any one on here to *love* any particular imported or foreign-manufacturer's U.S. built car. But at the very least, people need to show a bit of impartialness and respect to a vehicle line when it deserves it. Otherwise, their postings have no logical credibility.

As an example, check out this Motor Trend article. The Spectra tops both the Focus and the Cobalt in their testing.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...tes/index9.html

When you look at the hard statistics, the Spectra is right in the pack with everyone else. Add in the nicer interior and the standard side curtain airbags and you can see how the Spectra pulled off a mid-pack ranking.

Then there's this one: Kia Spectra Ranks Second among Compact Cars—Spectra among Top 10 Most-Improved Models in the 2005 J.D. Powers IQS survey:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:HMErB3...la+powers&hl=en

So after reading the above articles, if you still seriously want to drive this:

78fordfairmontsquire.jpg

instead of this:

199389.2-lg.jpg

...then be my royal uninformed guest!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

[seriously though. Think about your inane exclamation about *actually* wanting to drive a '70s technology Fairmont instead of a KIA (a Spectra like mine for example). Put your American flag away for a minute and examine that statement. If you *truly* believe the things you espouse, then I wish you the best of luck in the future, 'cause YOU GONNA NEED IT!

I don't expect any one on here to *love* any particular imported or foreign-manufacturer's U.S. built car. But at the very least, people need to show a bit of impartialness and respect to a vehicle line when it deserves it. Otherwise, their postings have no logical credibility.

I will not put my flag away like you, I work for Ford so I drive Ford, I have never had a bad experiance with the domestics, so I am not going to bad mouth them, I have been in a Kia, I was not impressed, sorry, I wonder how much money they make per vehicle? And I would bet a Fairmont Wagon has a better crash rating,,

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:

The Automotive Industry Records Substantial Long-Term Vehicle Quality Improvements

Lexus Ranks Highest in Vehicle Dependability for the 11th Consecutive Year;

General Motors and Ford Motor Company Earn Record Number of Model Awards

"While the Initial Quality Study [iQS], which measures problems experienced in the first 90 days of ownership, can be an indicator of how models will perform over time, our studies consistently show that long-term durability is a tremendously important factor to consumers," said Chance Parker, executive director of product and research analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. "As the number of problems owners experience with their vehicles increases, repurchase intent and the number of recommendations owners will make to others decreases. The study also finds that long-term durability can have a significant impact on a vehicle’s retained value."

General Motors models earn eight segment awards and Ford Motor Company models receive five segments awards —a record for both GM and Ford in VDS.

Chevrolet captures the most segment awards, with the Prizm (compact car), Malibu (entry midsize car), S-10 Pickup (midsize pickup) and Silverado HD (heavy-duty full-size pickup) each earning an award in their respective segments. Ford receives three segment awards, for the Thunderbird (entry luxury car), Windstar (midsize van) and E-Series (full-size van).

you can go here to see where Kia is listed last in the 2005 study,,http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005089

The Least-Safe Cars 2006,, Hmmm, KIA, Hmmm, where is FORD??????????????

With an average base price of $15,323 and no prices higher than $19,555, the six least-safe cars on the market (see the following slide show) come from companies Forbes.com does not ordinarily cover, such as Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki Some models from these brands--which are hardly for social climbers--satisfy bargain hunters but require them to take their chances with personal safety. Hyundai's Elantra, Kia's Optima and Suzuki's Forenza sedans--like the other vehicles in the slide show--achieved ratings of "poor," the lowest possible, in two of three Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) crash tests (all the cars received their failing grades on the side- and rear-impact tests).

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

Ovaltine, go here to ckeck out all the great reviews, I didnt see amy complaints about fuel doors or weatherstrips. http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/ford/fusio...ontent..4.Ford*

Date Posted

01/06/2006 Finally a Ford I can love by basha

Style: V6 SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A) Rating 10.0

Review: After having Hondas for ten years (great cars but not trouble free), I decided to lease a Ford Fusion. The model I ended up with is an SEL with just about every feature available. The exterior is a flawless black that looks stunning with the chrome trim. The 17 inch tires really grab the road. Rough pavement is more noticeable with these tires, so if you need a softer ride, the high profile 16 inch tires on the SE might be a better choice. The interior on my car is perfect. Leather seating is slightly larger than my Honda and very comfortable. Transmission shifts very smoothly and very quietly. No road noise. Slightly higher beltline may take some getting used to.

Favorite Features: I love all the automatic features. Great climate control system with controls on steering column. Message center is very helpful. Arm rests are the right position for comfortable driving, heated seats are really nice in Winter. Impressive sound system with in dash CD changer. Side curtain air bag

Suggested Improvements: This is really a great car. I love it the way it is. I would like to have power passenger seat as an option. And there is room at the bottom of the speedometer for a digital speed readout. That would really be handy.

1 of 3 People found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes No

Let us know if this review is offensive. Back to top

Ovaltine, go here to ckeck out all the great reviews, I didnt see amy complaints about fuel doors or weatherstrips. [url=http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/ford/fusion/100632728/ratings_consumersdetail.html?

I'm happy that there are good reviews on the Fusion out there. I really am. Lord knows Ford needs the good news today, on "Black Monday".

That said however, I stand by my observances stated in previous posts.

- I still think a fuel door would be a nice touch, esp. since most of the Fusion's vaunted Asian competition appear to consider it necessary. My Spectra's fuel door lever is on the floor directly to my left, so the fuel door is usually opened with little or no strain before I even open the car door. I empathize with the Mustang owner who hated his car's fuel door, because my '88 5.0 has one too. I don't dislike the feature as much as the guy who bent his door to deactivate it, but I DO DISLIKE the place where Ford put the button.... in the glove box!!!! Great ergonomics there, eh?

- 3 out of the last 4 Fusions I've examined have the weatherstripping aesthetics issue I described. Obviously it can be installed correctly on occasion.

- 3 out of the last 3 Fusions I've examined exhibit the sloppy fit and design of the rear plastic inner fender wells behind the tire. A quick examination (again) of the parking lot I was in at the time could not produce another car with such a design/implementation.

and here's my *latest* observation and suggestion....

Why doesn't the Fusion have foldable door mirrors? Again, every KIA regardless of price has them. And a quick look through the parking lot found that most Asian-produced cars do. The new Sonata may be one of the exceptions to that rule, and Hyundai caught hell for that faux paus by the readers on that forum.

But what good are folding mirrors you are probably asking right now, right?!?!?!

Well here's a perfect example. Last week, the parking structure I park in had only *1* spot left when I arrived. The spot was still open because a (approximately) 4 foot deep and 8 inch wide concrete structural support sticks out directly into the left side of the spot.

The spot was wide enough to pull into, HOWEVER my mirror was only 2 inches away from the pillar. Thus, exiting out the auto was not an option unless I was willing to crawl over my console and exit out the passenger side (not a very graceful option) OR if I backed the car out, turned it around, and backed into the spot (not a good choice in a parking structure busy with exiting P.O.ed drivers who can't find a spot).

In the current Fusion, those would have been my ONLY choices other than abandoning the spot.

In my new Spectra, I simply lowered my window (using its 1-TOUCH DOWN mode... a nice feature), folded my mirror back against my car, raised the window, and easily exited the car through the now wide-open door.

Again.... in a Fusion the scenario described above wouldn't have been possible.

So.... to reiterate, here's my ORIGINAL post's non-model specific summary (with a new addition of a mention of standard features):

"But I will say that when the panel gaps, paint, and general fit and finish AND STANDARD FEATURES of Korea's supposed "bottom end" manufacturer starts coming close or surpassing the quality AND FEATURES of any of the major players, then those major players need to ratchet it up another notch or two."

Feel free to keep posting positive reviews of the Fusion on here though. I'm sure that there *are* some nice features that I and the rest of the readers haven't had a chance to discover yet. I just quickly perused the 35 reviews there (the first from Oct. 2005), and all of them appear to be quite positive! Kudos to Ford. I did see one that addressed poor fit and finish, but it was one of the earlier posts and only represents 3% of the sample. I would have to say that IS great news for Ford!

But you can save yourself the trouble of posting any ad hominem attacks on myself or how crappy non-Ford cars are, because my stated observations above speak for themselves.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

You may want a locking fuel filler door, but as some with experience with this I NEVER WANT one on ANY car I own. There are 2 reasons for this, one is ice and snow sticking the cable and freezing, not a major problem, but it does happen.

The major reason is due to fuel theft. Anyone willing to steel your fuel has no problem with using a screw driver to bend the fuel door out of the way, or on the lot we've had several where they just drill holes in the bottom of the tank. I've even seen cut fuel filler tubes, so I'd just as soon they steel $40 worth of gas as do $300 worth of damage

You may want a locking fuel filler door, but as some with experience with this I NEVER WANT one on ANY car I own. There are 2 reasons for this, one is ice and snow sticking the cable and freezing, not a major problem, but it does happen.

The major reason is due to fuel theft. Anyone willing to steel your fuel has no problem with using a screw driver to bend the fuel door out of the way, or on the lot we've had several where they just drill holes in the bottom of the tank. I've even seen cut fuel filler tubes, so I'd just as soon they steel $40 worth of gas as do $300 worth of damage

I understand your reasoning above. However...... keep in mind that fuel theft is for the most part a crime of opportunity. Do you *really* think any petty thief is going be prying my fuel door or punching holes in my tank with all of those unsecured Ford opportunities sitting in the lot or structure around my car?

;)

Btw, what kind of dealership was it and general vicinity where those cars were at that were punched/cut? Was it in a suburb or urban area?

Also, if I remember the earlier part of this thread correctly, I'm pretty sure we all learned that most companies install an anti-siphon device in the filler neck these days (a fact that I did not know!!). I guess that still makes most maker's cars susceptible to getting attacked as you describe above.

I can see it now.... the *next* hot new add-on from Murrays Auto Parts! Easily installable "Gas Tank and Filler Neck Shields" that prevent holes from being punched into your tank and filler neck.

Hey.... maybe I'm ON to something here. Heh heh.

If gas hits $3.50+ a gallon, I wouldn't bet against that idea!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I wish the Fusion would have been made here in the US instead of Mexico. I can see why, maybe, stuff made in Korea has better fit and finish than something made in Mexico. I'm basing my opinion on experiences that I've had with electronics. We used to be a Sony family. Sony quality used to be good but it's crap lately and now mostly made in Mexico. Three of our sony TVs and two VCRs mess'd up. After that we started buying Samsung instead. All the Samsung stuff we've gotten is made in Korea and we haven't had any problems.

Rank of places I'd want stuff that I buy to be made, based on my perception of which countries produce quality products, 1 being preferred, 4 not being preferred:

1. US/Canada/Japan

2. Korea

3. Mexico

4. China

Once again, it's just my opinion.

Edited by ToBeHuman

Three of our sony TVs and two VCRs mess'd up. After that we started buying Samsung instead. All the Samsung stuff we've gotten is made in Korea and we haven't had any problems.

You make a good point in your post TBH!

For anyone who doubts the potential of the Koreans, you have to read the article referenced below. I remember reading it in Fortune when the issue came out in September and saw parallels with what I had been reading about Hyundai/KIA's efforts and goals. The entire article is worth reading... and learning from!

A Perpetual Crisis Machine

Samsung's VIP Center is home to a uniquely paranoid culture--and that's the way the boss likes it.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...72909/index.htm

Here are a few excerpts:

"The VIP Center is one of the reasons Samsung Electronics, once known as the maker of cheap black-and-white TVs, has become in less than a decade the world's dominant--and most profitable--consumer electronics company, knocking Sony from the top of the heap. At Samsung, speed equals success, and disaster lurks in every overlooked detail or missed deadline. According to the management philosophy laid out by vice chairman and CEO Jong-Yong Yun (everyone calls him vice chairman Yun), profits in the Digital Age are directly linked to being first to market. A delay in delivery takes a product one step closer to being a commodity, and when it comes to commodities, the low-cost Chinese manufacturers will eat your lunch noodles. Failure is not an option, especially in the VIP Center, a concrete-and-glass embodiment of Samsung's uniquely paranoid corporate culture. "Vice chairman Yun stresses that if you relax, if you become complacent, a crisis will find you," adds Kyunghan Jung, a senior manager of the VIP Center. "There is," he says, "a lot of tension here."

"The VIP Center--which stands for Value Innovation Program, not Very Important Person--is definitely a guy's kind of hangout."

"Once through the front door and past the security guards, climbing the stairs of the building reveals door after door after closed door marked with code names: Hinan, Mosel, Porsche, Elle. The various teams closeted within could be working on a new liquid-crystal display TV or a problem with semiconductor yields or maybe just a way to eliminate one function from an air-conditioner control panel. While the objects of their attention vary widely, the team members at the VIP Center have one thing in common: Their bosses have vowed in writing--etched in metal on a plaque that hangs on the wall--to keep them in the VIP Center until they have solved their particular problems. If that means spending the night, so be it. Although team members may go home to sleep if they want to, Samsung executives acknowledge--with obvious pride--that the building is occupied 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And even if they don't sleep over, 18- to 20-hour days are not uncommon. "When people are told they have to come here, they know they have to come up with results in a very, very short time," says Song, a veteran team leader. "This is not a prison," one engineer tells me, "but it's not a volunteer job either."

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I understand your reasoning above. However...... keep in mind that fuel theft is for the most part a crime of opportunity. Do you *really* think any petty thief is going be prying my fuel door or punching holes in my tank with all of those unsecured Ford opportunities sitting in the lot or structure around my car?

;)

Btw, what kind of dealership was it and general vicinity where those cars were at that were punched/cut? Was it in a suburb or urban area?

Also, if I remember the earlier part of this thread correctly, I'm pretty sure we all learned that most companies install an anti-siphon device in the filler neck these days (a fact that I did not know!!). I guess that still makes most maker's cars susceptible to getting attacked as you describe above.

I can see it now.... the *next* hot new add-on from Murrays Auto Parts! Easily installable "Gas Tank and Filler Neck Shields" that prevent holes from being punched into your tank and filler neck.

Hey.... maybe I'm ON to something here. Heh heh.

If gas hits $3.50+ a gallon, I wouldn't bet against that idea!

-Ovaltine

Rural dealership, and although your theory of they'll pick the easiest is correct, locking devices aren't the thing the theives use to determine the easiest. Locking gas caps take about 30 seconds to break off (take pliers and pull of the top and you're done) and locking fuel doors even less. What they look for is the one not underneath a light and off the street as far as possible. I've seen them take the locking ones over non-locking due to being easier to hide while doing it. Locking gas caps have a purpose and it's to keep their owners feeling warm and tingly, not to keep fuel from being stolen.

I parked my new-design 2005 KIA Spectra next to an attractive new silver Ford Fusion SEL today at work.

The Fusion appeared to be very nice. The Fusion (and 500 for that matter) really do show *huge* improvements in Ford product (at least on the surface). That cannot be denied.

But why is it that I can find several "little" things about the Fusion that's missing (IMHO), and that even KIA has managed to nail????

For instance.....

1. Why does a $13k KIA have a locking gas filler door (w/convenient release), and the $20k+ Fusion has a simple standard flip open filler door???? In this day and age of inflating gas prices, I'd be having to buy a locking gas cap at Murray's for my Fusion and dealing with the hassle of keeping a set of keys in the car, etc.

2. Why does the Fusion have thin outer rubber seals that stick up past the door frame (next to the window) on all four doors, but my KIA's same seals are seated perfectly next to the window and frame in perfect symetry and with perfect fit?

Since I haven't sat in or ridden in a Fusion yet, I can't make any further comparisons. But I will say that when the panel gaps, paint, and general fit and finish of Korea's supposed "bottom end" manufacturer starts coming close or surpassing the quality of any of the major players, then those major players need to ratchet it up another notch or two.

-Ovaltine

[i wonder where the 13k goes?North or South Korea?Just wondering!

Edited by STAP1