T6 Light Truck Project to Replace Ranger/Courier

Ford is talking about using the T6 as a global platform and that is completely different to the Thai Ranger.

Ford AUS is just doing the engineering, not building them.

I haven't heard Ford talk about T6 being a global platform (i.e. available in all major markets). If this was coming to the US, it probably wouldn't be being designed in Australia.

I haven't heard Ford talk about T6 being a global platform (i.e. available in all major markets). If this was coming to the US, it probably wouldn't be being designed in Australia.

Global light commercial vehicle architecture

Ford Australia will have lead design and engineering responsibility for a new vehicle architecture that is targeted to underpin a range of light commercial vehicles in more than 80 countries worldwide.

Engineered for both right- and left-hand drive and manufactured in multiple locations, the first derivative is most likely to be a pick-up truck, although the architecture has the capability for a variety of multiple configurations and body styles.

"We are at the very beginning of this exciting new project. Significant engineering and design work over a number of years is still required before formal program approval will be granted by Ford. It is anticipated that once this occurs, the architecture derivatives are expected to result in more than 400,000 sales annually," said Ford Australia Vice President of Product Development, Mr Trevor Worthington.

This quote is from the Ford Website:FORD AUSTRALIA ANNOUNCES MAJOR NEW PROJECTS

This is only at "project" stage so, significant engineering and design work over a number of years is still required before formal program approval will be granted by Ford. I would say a range of light commercial vehicles in more than 80 countries worldwide with expected sales of over 400,000 per year makes it a potential "Global Platform", chances are good that the USA would be one of the 80 countries.

Ford and GM North American head offices are now entrusting their Aussie divisions with key engineering projects because they can do it quicker than the Americans (easier than teaching the elephant to tap dance).

Edited by jpd80

My intel is that the T6 program will commence production in early 2010 for Thailand and roll out gradually during the CY for other markets currently sourced out of Thailand.

This program was under way and approved before Mullay came in..he probably was OK with it.

My guess is that this product will be built in Thailand for ASEAN markets and in Argentina for Latin America (Mexico South). Current issues that include rear seat leg room and modern gas engines will be probably be addressed. I assume that some models will conitnue to be built from CKD kits in other plant - such as South Africa and Vietnam

This is what Toyota currently does with its IMV HiLux/Fortuner products (both built primarily in Thailand and Argentina)

My doubt is if this platform will make it to the US and if the T6 program includes an SUV to replace the Everest.

We'll know in three years time..I guess!

My intel is that the T6 program will commence production in early 2010 for Thailand and roll out gradually during the CY for other markets currently sourced out of Thailand.

This program was under way and approved before Mullay came in..he probably was OK with it.

My guess is that this product will be built in Thailand for ASEAN markets and in Argentina for Latin America (Mexico South). Current issues that include rear seat leg room and modern gas engines will be probably be addressed. I assume that some models will conitnue to be built from CKD kits in other plant - such as South Africa and Vietnam

This is what Toyota currently does with its IMV HiLux/Fortuner products (both built primarily in Thailand and Argentina)

My doubt is if this platform will make it to the US and if the T6 program includes an SUV to replace the Everest.

How about the new 3.5L V6 or a 4 cyl. diesel for the US Ranger. :happy feet: With a six speed automatic transmission.

Edited by skilled2go

So where does that leave the NA Ranger? Is there anything on the horizon as a replacement?

Edited by jpd80

• 8 years later...

Another segment that Ford is just giving away to the competition.

What kind of business strategy is that?

It's insane, there's no more question that they are intentionally screwing the company, who is behind this? Why would they do such a thing??? http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/banghead.gif

Ford has given up many segments and made many poor decisions over 100 years.

Luckily, the good decisions have outweighed them.

Given that Ford just survived their make over NAD the Global melt down, a lot of harsh choices had to be made.

The passing of Ranger was only done because it had declined to low cost transport with the tray in back.

There's a real opportunity for Rnager to reconnect with buyers and slip into a new price bracket below the higher ATPs of F150.

A lot of changes have happened, so maybe now things that were the once ruled out are now becoming a lot more likely.

It all depends on how Ford now sees itself and whether it's prepared to go after certain customers and make them

part of the Ford bueyr pool again, all it takes is the right products at the right prices...

Given that Ford just survived their make over NAD the Global melt down, a lot of harsh choices had to be made.

The passing of Ranger was only done because it had declined to low cost transport with the tray in back.

True.

Many hard decisions were made to keep the company afloat.

Personally, I'd rather Ford took the route they did otherwise it might have been Ford bought by Fiat and run into the ground by Sergio.

But as you stated, things are different now. Both at a company level and a market level.

I would love to see a smaller truck, RWD and BOF. But we will see if it happens.

Edited by J-150

True.

Many hard decisions were made to keep the company afloat.

Personally, I'd rather Ford took the route they did otherwise it might have been Ford bought by Fiat and run into the ground by Sergio.

But as you stated, things are different now. Both at a company level and a market level.

I would love to see a smaller truck, RWD and BOF. But we will see if it happens.

Let's hope that Ford under Fields is about seeking out those valuable niches where possible,

become that "can do" company that makes certain things happen....

Sorry, having connectivity issues.

Edited by jpd80

Even with these low fuel prices, the British are still paying just under $7/gal.

Correct me if Im wrong but that around 2.5 to 3 times what you're paying in the US

Those are the kind of pricing pressures needed to push buyers into diesel in lighter vehicles.

In Australia, diesel in cars is still pretty rare and we're paying up around $5/gal and while that's

i not a direct comparison, you can see that there's more to the switch than people liking diesels.

Edited by jpd80

My wife will never drive anything other than an SUV. AS a niche I wonder if Ford would ever consider offering a kind of Mustangish SUV. This to satisfy the husbands lol.

2016-ford-explorer-sport-homepage.jpg

Is about as close as you'll get to a Mustang SUV/CUV...with a tune they move pretty quick....I know SHO's can do sub 13 second 1/4 miles with just a tune weighing in at over 4300 lbs.

If it isn't offered with a stick, chances are very high that I'm rejecting it

I just turned 26

In Ford's showroom, that limits you to three cars, Fiesta, Focus and Mustang. as everything else is auto only.

Recently drove T6 Ranger with 2.2 diesel and 6-speed manual, same box as in Mustang and manual Transits

works well, I'm sure you would like the reasonably short throw shift, it seemed to have nice feel to it.

so let's hope Ford brings Ranger/Everest and Broncos with manual trans and high low transfer cases.

Edited by jpd80

In Ford's showroom, that limits you to three cars, Fiesta, Focus and Mustang. as everything else is auto only.

Yeah, I'm painfully aware of that. That's why my next car is going to be a Focus ST. I'm sure the 1.0EB is fine and all, but I want a 6 speed and not the smallest engine ford makes. Neither the Fiesta nor Mustang is practical for me at this point, and I swore off ever getting a 2 door as a daily driver ever again after my current Focus and the wife's G5 (a car that I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns)

Yeah, I'm painfully aware of that. That's why my next car is going to be a Focus ST. I'm sure the 1.0EB is fine and all, but I want a 6 speed and not the smallest engine ford makes. Neither the Fiesta nor Mustang is practical for me at this point, and I swore off ever getting a 2 door as a daily driver ever again after my current Focus and the wife's G5 (a car that I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns)

ROW Focus now comes with 1,5 EB and either 6-speed manual of 6F auto,

I'm wondering if Ford NA is changing shortly too..