Ford to cut jobs at Kentucky Explorer Plant

Blue Oval Staff

Ford Motor Co., facing a decline in SUV sales, plans to cut jobs and reduce production capacity at a Kentucky plant that makes the Explorer SUV.

"It is likely we will take a capacity action," company spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said in an interview. She said a final decision hadn't been made and she couldn't specify how many jobs may be affected. Ford is the second-largest U.S. automaker.

READ MORE HERE.

Word is here is that they will slow the line speed and eliminate approx. 500-600 jobs but have that many signed up for the buyouts so it's a wash. Nobody gets laid off and no transfers in. So if your thinking about Lap, take them off your list.

You better hope the products there start selling real fast and quickly or it will all be a wash. Seriously.

I heard today at LAP that we have around 600 signed up for the buyout but some I talked to said they weren't going to take it. They only signed up for security reasons. I did hear that if not enough here take it that the ones laid off are going to KTP. That said they did stop all the Atlanta tranfers after this last group we got last week.

from my understanding, the atlanta transfers are comlpete. all 312 made it to louisville. i have a few in my area and made it a point to make them feel at home. they all told me they had no problems with anybody.

That's good to hear, i had a lot of friends transfer up there and worry about the current situation

with LAP

That's good to hear, i had a lot of friends transfer up there and worry about the current situation

with LAP

i have lunch with one of the atlanta guys every night. he told me that he hasn't heard of any of them having any problems. but they were told horror stories about transferring before making the move. your plant got absolutely screwed, no way we should be building that fusion in mexico. we're just glad that people that want to work are able to have jobs.

Ford said in the 1990's that they wont run a plant with one shift, it dosnt make sense to have billions of dollars in equipment that can run 23 hours a day but its only working 8-10 hours a day. I think the writing is on the wall and Ford has a couple of assy. plants to announce. If you know you dont want to leave your home/town or dont have much seniority, you may consider the buyout because there may not be one after the next contract. It could go back to the 80's and you get layed off with unemployment and sub. until its gone and then good luck.

Just my thoughts.

i have lunch with one of the atlanta guys every night. he told me that he hasn't heard of any of them having any problems. but they were told horror stories about transferring before making the move. your plant got absolutely screwed, no way we should be building that fusion in mexico. we're just glad that people that want to work are able to have jobs.

For the most part AAP transfers have been welcomed and are good workers. But it is a shame they are over looked by the BAD ones who came. Know of some who use med. all the time , ones who mess up all the time, and some who just don't want to work. Ford and the UAW should send them back and bring in people who want to work.