Chrysler Nassau and Jeep Trailhawk

Blue Oval Staff

Chrysler Group today shared sketches of two concepts that will be unveiled in January 2007 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit — Chrysler Nassau Concept and Jeep® Trailhawk Concept.

NassauSketch.jpg

The Chrysler Nassau concept is a four-door, four-passenger luxury coupe with an emphasis on driving dynamics. The artistic exterior design leans toward an exploration as to what could be a future sedan in the brand's lineup. The Chrysler Nassau concept highlights sweeping curves to define the front and rear fasciae.

TrailhawkSketch.jpg

The Jeep Trailhawk concept merges the spectrum of the Jeep brand by combining the core features of the Jeep Wrangler with the sophistication of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Derived from the all-new 2007 Wrangler architecture, the Jeep Trailhawk concept taps into "Jeep Rugged" attributes to provide classic proportions, unsurpassed off-road capability and a new approach to open-air freedom. The headlamps, cropped and peering out from beneath a diagonal brow, produce the countenance of a bird of prey, and the inspiration for the "Trailhawk" name.

Chrysler is diluting the Jeep image into mediocrity.

Yeah and they don't need anymore Jeep models. They seem to have a lot of their own overlap now and too much saturation for them to seem special anymore.

Also, Jeep must hold a world record for being the quickest to do a retro model so soon after the old Cherokee was discontinued. The Commander looks for all the world like the old Cherokee excpet it has a taller roof.

Something tells me this is possibly previewing the next LX sedan or perhaps just a variation of it. I dunno if the styling of the Chrysler Nassau grabs me or not. I kinda like the headlights, but the grille is predictable. I certainly hope it does not show up with hood strakes like everything else they are making now.

It's also nice to see the styling trend of round elements in headlamps and taillamps are going away for a while because everyone has been doing it to death, to the point it's not special or interesting anymore.

Yeah and they don't need anymore Jeep models. They seem to have a lot of their own overlap now and too much saturation for them to seem special anymore.

Also, Jeep must hold a world record for being the quickest to do a retro model so soon after the old Cherokee was discontinued. The Commander looks for all the world like the old Cherokee excpet it has a taller roof.

Something tells me this is possibly previewing the next LX sedan or perhaps just a variation of it. I dunno if the styling of the Chrysler Nassau grabs me or not. I kinda like the headlights, but the grille is predictable. I certainly hope it does not show up with hood strakes like everything else they are making now.

It's also nice to see the styling trend of round elements in headlamps and taillamps are going away for a while because everyone has been doing it to death, to the point it's not special or interesting anymore.

I don't see the point of this concept at all. Where does it fit in Chrysler's line-up? It seems duplicative of the 300C; the description they give sounds exactly like the description they give of the 300. The company's brief 15 miinutes of design fame with the 300 seems to have faded completely. The new Sebring makes the Ford 500 like racy and innovative, while the Imperial concept is so bad it is likely to frighten small children. And now this, whatever it is. They have a certain design heritage in the Jeep, but as you point out, they're spinning off endless variations of it. Just how many Jeep variants do they think the public has an appetite for?

And why are we reading about and discussing Chrysler concepts on a Ford web site? Where are the Ford, Mercury and Lincoln concepts? Where is the updated, revised version of the MKS concept they've shown to analysts?

The Chrysler Nassau concept looks like a great replacement for the midrange Sebring, but the name applied on the concept car is very offputting. That is, unless they make this more upscale than the 300, but if they do then the concept looks subpar for a luxury car.

Edited by Roadrunner

Yes, the Jeep line is being diluted. Yes, this is irrelevant. Yes, the 45 thousand dollar Commander looks like a Russian Cadillac. No, DCX doesn't meed more Jeeps, it needs viable, affordable passenger cars that hold up. They also need some good, small ecocnoy cars. The Caliber isn't that, exactly and the Neon was as mis-understood a car if there ever was one (also mis-managed and mis-marketed).

Don't look for the Sebring / Avenger to have a life of more than three years in this platform and skin. This is a stop-gap design off of the Galant platform. My feeling is that both vehicles will get a significant makeover in three year timeframe.

The Nassau, though, strikes me as Chryslers version of the MErcedes CLS. The CLS, as we all know, is functionally similar to the existing E and S class sedans. Its just DIFFERENT. That may be what Chrysler is trying with this. When they ever quit making vehicles that aren't ordered, and get their inventory levels back to human normal levels, they will definitely have the excess capacity to try some of this.