Torino

timmm55

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. I always thought the '72 was the best looking of the '72-'76 models.

I think Torino would be a good name to bring back. I never heard any negative connotations to it and it's easily identifiable as a Ford. But as luck would have it it would end up as the replacement name on the Fairlane People Mover...

I kinda like your rendering to some extent. What I would like to see is that rear quarter and side window profile of the 70-71 models... Or maybe one like the Aussie Falcon XT coupe. Keep the 1972 Torino's humpy bumpy rear quarter swipes off. It accentuated the fact that the bodysides were much wider than the wheel openings which already look like it was swallowing the tires on a narrow track. It dodn't look good on the Mustang II either and it made those cars look very dated and hadge-podge by the end of the 70's. I do prefer the bodysides of the same year Montego fastback better.

I always thought it would be interesting to take a 1972 Montego fastback and put a 1977 Thunderbird or Cougar front clip on it. Technically it could be done as an easy swap. Cosmetic front end parts on the Montego, Cougar, LTDII and Tbird were so mix and match that you could come up with a number of phantom models including 4-door, wagons and Rancheros (77-79 only) that never existed. A popular swap in custom car shows was the Tbird front on a 1977-79 Ranchero.

Also, it's cool to see factory wheels from late model Panther cars used on older Fords. Unfortunately I see a lot of Panther wheels on Ford Aerostars around here.

Edited by Watchdevil

This is sort of an amalgamation of the previous Torino with 70 Torino GT side sculpturing, a 71 Mach1 roof (the aerodynamics of the concave Torino roof wasn't good) and a few ideas of my own. Not as easy as you might think!

BTW the idea is a stretched 05-07 Mustang chassispost-19198-1164424356_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

This is sort of an amalgamation of the previous Torino with 70 Torino GT side sculpturing, a 71 Mach1 roof (the aerodynamics of the concave Torino roof wasn't good) and a few ideas of my own. Not as easy as you might think!

BTW the idea is a stretched 05-07 Mustang chassispost-19198-1164424356_thumb.jpg

Now that looks awsome! Plus the extra time you took to redetail and make the shapes more prescise was worth the effort.

Edited by Watchdevil

Congrat's! One of the best concepts I've seen in quite some time. Love the body lines and especially the grill treatment!

I love it... I will take one with a 6 speed please...

I like that you took the Gran Torino front end, the big open grille with dual headlights on either side. My Father owned a '72 Gran Torino wagon, silver with the black knitted vinyl interior. It had the 351 Cleveland and could easily smoke the optional G70-15 Goodyears Polyglas he speced on it.

It was a station wagon, but it was still cool.

The ironic thing about this design study is how easily the retro-Torino front end fits on an S197 body. The answer lies in one crucial area, and that's the traditional Mustang beltline, quarter-panel 'kick' that's inexplicably missing from the rest of the retro Mustang styling.

Smooth out the lower quarter panel 'scoop' character line, and the transition is complete. Although sixties'-era fastback Torinos had the quarter panel 'kick', the seventies' versions did not.

Frankly, Ford would have quite a coup if they built this car as a Mercury. It would be quite easy to build and fit in perfectly as a new Cougar (if not a Gran Torino). In fact, this updated Gran Torino reminds me a lot of how the new Dodge Challenger looks in comparison with the original.

I could certainly see this as a S197-based Mercury. Otherwise I just can't see it being appropriate for the marketplace, esp. with the Fusion coupe coming.

Definitely would look good for Mercury though, IMHO. Except they would feminize it to fit with their current target demo.

Great signature Roadrunner. Arrested Development was such a funny show. Too bad they didn't know what to do with it.

That Torino is really nice looking! Given that there's a lot of designwork/talkat GM for a retro Chevelle/ElCamino, a retro Torino/Ranchero might be a good play.

I also like the 3-bar 'stang, design-wise, but I think if other than for a V6 version, it would upset the mustang die-hards as being too 'corporate' -- mustang has always been different (no blue oval, etc) and the faithfull sort of expect that. istory aside, your design is striking and clean.

You have real talent and a great eye!!!