Torino

timmm55

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodge's Cross grille theme goes back to the '60-'65 Chrysler 300. (I have a die-cast '60 300 on my shelf) The first revival was on the Dodge Ram. The Mercury Gunsight is different as it was part of a 3 piece grille design.

Right you are!

post-19198-1206932095_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

Right you are!

Great pic Timmm. One of the biggest automotive mistakes I ever made was Not buying a 300L convertible for $4,500.00 back in the late 1980s. It needed some work on the engine and transmission but the body was straight. Dark Blue with a White interior and top. Still kicking myself anytime I see one.

Hummer didn't copy the 7 bar Jeep grill either.

Actually, they didn't. Go look up the history of the Hummer sometime.

(and, it's 7 slots, not bars)

Short summary -

Way, way back in the '70s, the military was looking to replace their 1/4-ton MVs with something a little more modern, and a bit larger. They put out bids, and one went to AM General, which was a sub-company of American Motors, which owned the Jeep brand. AM General already made the MVs (aka military Jeeps).

What AM General developed, and the Army accepted, was called the High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, or HMMWV. These ended up being referred to as either Humvees or Hummers. Since they were from AM General/Jeep, they also used the recognizable 7-slot grille. When Renault bought American Motors, they were forced to sell off AM General, which eventually ended up partnering with GM to make civilian Hummers from the military versions. These were the H1s. The H2s and H3s are essentially Chevy trucks underneath.

AM General/Hummer didn't copy the grille from Jeep, they were Jeep (and the lawsuit was ridiculous for this very reason).