!960s Ford Concept Cars

Cougar II... I always liked that one. They used to have a model of that car you could put together. I hope people noticed the Mercury Messenger concept was a dead ringer for the Cougar II.

I had that model too.It is a shame the Cougar II wasn't built. I would guess that you never would have heard of a Datsun 240Z if it had been. The Shelby GR1 reminds me of the concept.

I had that model too.It is a shame the Cougar II wasn't built. I would guess that you never would have heard of a Datsun 240Z if it had been. The Shelby GR1 reminds me of the concept.

That video was interesting. The Allegro clearly could have been, but if you look how quickly design changed from the late 50's to the mid-60's it makes sense that the Mustang turned out more rectangular and sharly creased in design. I think thats why the new Mustang works today because we were moving away from soft rounded shapes while edgier ones are now taking over.

The Cougar II is just timesless. I finally found a decent picture of it.

Cougar%20II.JPG

mercury_messenger_2003_02_b.jpg

They purposely made history repeat itself with the Messenger concept.

Compare it to the Messenger concept. Mercury could use this design as opposed to a directly retro Cougar looking too much like a Mustang but base it on the same platform. If Ford played it cards right they could also do a bullet nosed variation of a Thunderbird convertible where the Mustang, Cougar and Thunderbird could be related. Have the Cougar be a slightly upscale luxury sport coupe while the Thundebird could be a luxury sport 2-seat convertible variation of the Cougar and Mustang with possibly a retractable hardtop.

Edited by Watchdevil