Dead Cylinder

Tinkerbell

I've detected a slight intermittent miss. Then the check engine light came on but only for my drive home and not since.

I took my car to the dealer and they said #5 was dead. I asked and was told the plug, wire, coil and injector was functioning right. (they tried a new plug and coil) They suspect a burnt valve or piston, or worse, but won't know unless they take off the head or remove and disassemble the engine.

Has anyone heard of a like issue? Do you think a leak down test would paint a clearer picture?

At a minimum I seek a second opinion but am not aware of a shop that might be right for that other then another dealer.

85K miles. Well cared for

Merry Christmas to you all.

Brian

Edited by Tinkerbell

Either a leakdown or a simple compression test would at the least confirm the loss of the cylinder if the compression is down a squirt of oil down the cylinder and compression re-test will confirm a ring vs a valve or "holed" piston.

Is the coolant ok? Is it possible that the head gasket is blown?

At 85K one would think that the cylinder should be ok unless the car was abused but you state that that isn't the case.

Good Luck!

Hisss 99 :shades:

A hole in the piston would likely cause a great deal of smoke and blow by out of the PCV valve would be considerable. This would likely cause all your spark plugs to foul, not just one cylinder. If its anything really bad its probably a valve. An compression test should confirm whether you really have an issue or not.

What I would like to know, is how did they "diagnose" that it was the #5 cylinder if the plug was firing and the injector is working.

I think your right - find a real mechanic.

I checked compression. 7 have around 200. #5 has 115. When I introduced oil that one went up to 150.

Some times the car runs smooth. But at low RPM under a load you can tell something is not right.

I think I have a big problem with my engine.

Now I need the right sort of shop.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. I sold my car. It was the valve train and it got bad on the way to the dealer to trade it in. I had to get on it one last time and that did it.

I told the folks at the dealer and they didn't care.

I bought an '07 Civic Si four door for my commute. Quite a change. My only mod is apt to be a short shift kit.

The build of my Cobra Daytona Coupe is going well. When done I'll post here.

Brian

Edited by Tinkerbell

• 2 months later...