Lincoln MKR

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that this car couldn't be ready by 2008, unless they've already been working on it for quite a while. But that seems unlikely as all the talk was about the MKS until just a few weeks ago, and the story from a few weeks ago told of a meeting in September 06 at which there was "discussion" of possible new RWD vehicles built either from the Mustang platform or the next generation Australian Falcon/Fairlane platform. If 2008 were really the launch year, they would have had to sign off on production already as well as placing orders with many suppliers. I doubt that any car company could move quickly enough to do this. It seems pretty likely that Edmunds was referring to the launch of the MKS, which will have some version of this twin turbo V6. Anyway, when did Edmunds suddenly become the authority on what is "confirmed" ?

Tone down the front end somewhat and Lincoln has a real winner here.

And for those attackng Jack Telnack, let's not forget that he was responsible for the first generation Taurus and Sable, which changed the direction of the entire industry. As for the 1996 3rd generation, not all of us hated the design. Many of us loved it and found it to be years ahead of the competition. It sold very well initially. It long term failure had little to do with its styling and everything to do with Ford's failure to continually update the car, an essential requirement in the Camry/Accord market. It quickly fell behind on horsepower and engine refinement, NVH and dash design. But the exterior design still looks modern and completely up to date even today. With a little fine tuning, I think the design of this new Lincoln will have a long shelf life.

In my opinion one word sums up the look of Lincoln's new concept. UGLY,with a capitol U.

The front end looks just like the pickup trucks,Chrysler 300's,and Cadillac offerings.

The last stylish Lincoln was the Mark VIII,the rest are typical copycat designs.

Any wonder the are in such dire financial straits

Surely Lincoln can do better than this. A BMW M3, Lexus IS500, Cadillac CTS V killer has to look alot better than this. Maybe the performance is top notch, but that's not everything. If it looks faster, it'll sell faster. Take notes from the Europeans, PLEASE.

The tires are a plus though. Good job with those tires. The real concept better look DIFFERENT! :rant:

Wow, hate AND love all in the same topic thread, and NOT directed at each other for once!

This is Lincoln's target customer though, the American Dream, living proof of the culmination of hard work and deserved reward.

No European designs here, you want European, you buy European, we (as Americans) kicked them out for a reason.

Wow, hate AND love all in the same topic thread, and NOT directed at each other for once!

Peter Horbury would be pleased. More than once he's stated that it's his intention to come up with designs that "polarize." That fact that some people love this Lincoln concept and others hate it means he's suceeded.

What do you guys think of my version? It was just a quickie edit:

Mine:

mkr.jpg

Original:

original.jpg

Let me know if you like it.

I'm recovering from a bad case of the stomach flu (had it all day yesterday, had to go to the doctor and get 2 liters of IV fluid :doh:). So I had nothing else better to do. Just glad to not be naseous constantly.

Edited by SVT_MAN

What do you guys think of my version? It was just a quickie edit:

Mine:

mkr.jpg

Original:

original.jpg

Let me know if you like it.

I'm recovering from a bad case of the stomach flu (had it all day yesterday, had to go to the doctor and get 2 liters of IV fluid :doh:). So I had nothing else better to do. Just glad to not be naseous constantly.

It looks much better with the grille toned down like you fixed it.

The lower crome accent/foglights almost make it look like it got a smirk on :)

But the car is even better looking with the toned down grill

I'll agree it looks smirky like it has been influenced by Japanese animation. Some recent Japanese concepts have exaggerated looks like that. Mazda for example has been trying to get by with a stupid guppy dolphin face that just turns me off. And recent Honda/Acura concepts are a disaster. Being creative doesn't mean making something ugly just to be different or attract attention.

When I look at this MKR concept, I see something that looks like Volvo roofrails were mated to the fenders of an RX-8. What I don't see is a strong Lincoln identity, especially with the split grille theme that might as well be from a Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

Lincoln did it's best concepts in recent years and threw them all away.

However there is at least some hope for a mid-sized RWD sedan that is larger than a Mustang. However, pricing it way above what the Lincoln LS was isn't going to help anything.

My interpretation is that people crapped on the MKS front end and Acura-like direction, so the in-your-face brassy American approach was given a shot here. This is proving to be better, because it's inspiring actual debate as opposed to it being 85-15 or so opposed to the MKS. For the purpose of a model like this I would have built a more futuristic version of the Mark IX concept that had actual Lincoln DNA in it instead of a charicature in the same vein as the current Navigator.

This is good I think, but that Jaguar. Man.

Edited by Kotzenjunge

Looks like a Pontiac or Oldsmobile? I wonder which one. Pontiac has had the kidney grilles for a long time, but so has BMW. Then Oldsmobile? I can't remember a recent Oldsmobile. Oh yeah, that's because Olds doesn't exist anymore. Good call :)

In any case, it seems like people always say "It looks like Car X or Car B" blah blah .. what you forget is all cars are inspired by something before it in some way, shape, or form - even the Mustang! (Look at all the Italian design cues on it ...)

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned with how good a car looks than where it got its design cues from, and this one looks bold and beautiful.

Edited by SVT_MAN

The more I see this car the more it looks like the Mazda Kabura concept.

I see the relation you are talking about. The roofrails flow into the A-pillar and then into the hood all the way up to the front edge. Then there is the humped fender... These elements are also in the Ford Iosis concept.

The cover of Motor Trend is doing this design no favors.

Walking by in my local grocery store last night, this cartoonish, garish design leapt out from the other covers.

Maybe in person, maybe in some of these Photoshops, but on Motor Trend's cover, it just looks like a 10 year old's idea of a Samuari racer.