Lincoln MKR

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ford says people want AWD not RWD.

Sounds like another out of focus group call.

We never really had a choice, so without stories from the real world, who is to say? Ask any single American if they want non guilt condiments on that hot dog, they do. But only if they get them without guilt. Define that how you want, be it low price, ethically pure, or low carb. Of course it doesn't mean hooey, but that is the beauty of good marketing.

Providing a protective rationalization for guilt.

So, if Ford want to wholesale AWD(not a bad plan, if thought through), they need to make it a no brainer, for saftey(500), bragging rights(Fusion), or performance(please Jag, do this, please)? That would be a heritage paradigm, wouldn't it?

As for Lincoln, that heritage is either in a box, or waiting to return, so I really wonder what the plan is here. Guilt free luxury is not fully risen dough as far as I am concerned, but then, I am a performance guy and not the target customer. I find it interesting that not only do I not know a Lincoln target customer(although I know a couple of new Caddy owners), I as a Ford enthusiast have no idea what demo one of these mythical creatures might be like.

I wish they would let us in on the secret, or if they have, rethink it.

Having said that, I reiterate, I think this car could relight Mercury in a OMG!, gotta have it, ADM be damned sort of way, and recreate that entire former brand. If they back it up. Just one product in a brand is not enough to sustain it, no matter how good first or second year sales are.

Ford is superior at relearning that lesson every decade or so.

Edited by JETSOLVER

that is always possible, but unlikely ... especially since the D2E platform is ready, the IRS has been ready since 2004 and it just needs extra 8 inches ...

and with the new Product Development system ,they should be able to make a car in 18 months -

It is possible the Lincoln and ford were already quietly greenlighted .... and are already on their way out.

but yes - we will have to wait and see.

Igor

Several months back I recall an article (Business Week I think) saying Ford was working on a sedan based on the Mustang. So it may have just quietly been underway and recently was moved up a year.

"Ford says people want AWD".. Ok, what people? They already have enough AWD vehicles in production or coming out (MKS), they need something RWD.

AWD is one thing if it's based on RWD architecture, another when it's based on some piece of crap FWD econobox. With FWD based AWD you get a couple of huge insurmountable problems which will lead to no sales. In an expensive luxury car people want high style and big power.

You can't make it look good since FWD cars have the awful looking front overhang and the font wheels practically invade on footwell space. And you can't give it proper power as FWD transaxle's won't handle big power nor will upcomig engines like the Hurricane fit in a FWD application.

And this is why Ford's sales across the board will continue to plummet. I know if I had the money for an expensive luxury I sure as hell wouldn't buy some pos FWD based MKS with MKR "styling cues" that looks like an old Buick with six feet of overhang and no guts. I'd be at the BMW, Mercedes, or Cadillac dealer. I hear the new CTS looks incredible, and it's RWD and it's got a monster of an engine coming for those that want the power. I'm I'm about the most die-hard Ford nut on the planet, can you imagine what the general public thinks of Ford's cheapness? Their top of the line luxury car built off a cheap 20k car chassis?

"LOL, Ford's engineering is about a 100 years behind Audi,"

Both use current Haldex designs. The Ford-ZF DSG tranny is something like 24 months away, possibly less..

Ok, which Ford compares in any way to an Audi? Isn't it the 500 that uses the Haldex system? That's like comparing a Yugo to a Ferarri, or comparing a Ford 500 to an Audi S4.. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Ugh they where just blobbed versions of the T-bird at the time. I liked them, but they weren't stylish

I disagree completely. The Mark VIII looked much sleeker, and the moment you got inside the Mark VIII after being in the T-Bird, let alone stab the throttle, the difference was VERY apparent! The Mark was a much MUCH nicer vehicle....as it should have been for the price! :)

Straight from the horses mouth.

Ford media/Lincoln MKR

What the heck is "guilt free luxury" anyway?

LOL!! Who in the WORLD does Ford's marketing phrases??? "Guilt-Free Luxury"? Oh please! Luxury is about pampering ones' self, and I NEVER feel guilty abouty pampering or rewarding myself......

I do my recycling, I give to "Save The Whales", I eat tuna that is "Dolphin Free", And I do my share of conservation.....I do NOT feel guilty about my luxury cars, don't think about it.......and never will.

Now, if it were a NAVIGATOR......... :)

If anyone at Ford actually reads these forums and has the stones to make a REALLY BOLD MOVE instead of just talking the talk, they will bring this MKR to market as close to the concept as possible, with the RWD and the 415 HP V6.

And as far as financing this venture, DITCH JAGUAR!!! Just admit they made a mistake, quit throwing good money after bad and get rid of the financialback hole that Jaguar has been ever since Ford acquired them. .....

If Lincoln does not produce the MKR and the marque flounders/disappears, FOMOCO deserves everything that hapens to them, and hopefully other corporations will look at these ex-FOMOCO guys resumes before they hire them to ruin their corporations...

Ford won't build any RWD sedans, the MKR or the Interceptor, because it would be the right thing to do, and they pride themselves on doing the wrong things.

I'd count the CV but it's so ancient and forgotten by Ford it doesn't really count anymore, people don't want a 70's driving experience in a new car, besides Ford will probably abandon it soon rather than give it the full upgrade it deserves. :finger:

And as far as financing this venture, DITCH JAGUAR!!! Just admit they made a mistake, quit throwing good money after bad and get rid of the financialback hole that Jaguar has been ever since Ford acquired them. .....

It would probably cost more to get RID of Jaguar at this point than it would to give them the products they need to become profitable. After the XF hits production, the only thing left to fix is the XJ. Based on Ford's projections, their losses will be getting smaller year-over-year from here on out anyway. Ford HAS the money to develop both successfully. It's a matter of having the balls to do it, not so much having the funds to do it.

It would probably cost more to get RID of Jaguar at this point than it would to give them the products they need to become profitable. After the XF hits production, the only thing left to fix is the XJ. Based on Ford's projections, their losses will be getting smaller year-over-year from here on out anyway. Ford HAS the money to develop both successfully. It's a matter of having the balls to do it, not so much having the funds to do it.

Problem is Ford doesn't have a testicle to be found in all of Dearborn..

Problem is Ford doesn't have a testicle to be found in all of Dearborn..

Wholeheartedly agree. Ford is grinding on my last nerve...and it's getting harder to defend anything they do lately. Mullaly better be making some BOLD production announcements soon. He's HINTING at things from Europe, but FoMoCo as a whole has HINTED at things for years which have never materialized. It's time to stop hinting and start PRODUCING!

Wholeheartedly agree. Ford is grinding on my last nerve...and it's getting harder to defend anything they do lately. Mullaly better be making some BOLD production announcements soon. He's HINTING at things from Europe, but FoMoCo as a whole has HINTED at things for years which have never materialized. It's time to stop hinting and start PRODUCING!

Exactly, I've been hearing these hints going back a decade, the good stuff has hardly ever materialized. All the exciting SVT vehicles that were "hinted" at like a new Lightning, then the Adrenaline never materialized. The hints of Aussie Falcons, or other RWD sedans, small cars, big cars, I've seen little to nothing that impressed me, I can't even imagine how bad Ford looks to the non-ford nuts. Well, actually I do a little, I've seen the way Ford is talked asbout by the general public on non-car boards, it ain't pretty..

I hope to hear some nice exciting news from Mullaly over the next 6 months or so too, it's one thing to keep your deepest secrets from your competitors, but you have to give your customers something to keep them waiting.

+1 Buying Jaguar wasn't a mistake at all, nor was bring the 'castle' into the 21st century with modern engineering tools. The Jaguar name is extraordinarily valuable real-estate. The mistake Ford made was thinking the ultra-conservative castle-dwellers would respond to Ford's guiding hand with a true sense of purpose and excellence, rather than a sugar-daddy wanting to help renovate the sandbox. I think Jaguar has enormous potential and the renovation their struggling with is ironically analygous to Ford's own. Good-enough isn't! Leadership (segment and model) and excellence are requirements. COnservative business plans? YES! Conservative competitiveness? NO!

I think Jag is now on the right track, but, like Ford, it will take some time to pay off. Dumping Jag at this point would be a huge mistake, imo.