Ford Begins Production Of Mustang Shelby GT

igor

Its not about us, its about Shelby. And yes, I have to think that $7,300 for Shelby and the $2,100 that Ford wants to ship it to Vegas for a cold air and springs is an awful lot of sheckles in the new age...

How is it is, that Ford can offer a car without all the big airbox/fuel vapour emissions trap business and the 10 lbs of plastic? If all they need is a large cone filter and a tin heat shield, you gotta think there is a ton of money to be saved in every other car they make....

Edited by JETSOLVER

Thanks for the link, however, isn't the price a bit too steep? No doubt they will sell, but I think it's too close to the GT500 pricewise. A start price of $32,000-$33,000 would have seemed right. Well, at least right for me! :doh:

Then again, what do I know?

Well, cars just aren't as cheap as they used to be. A fully loaded GT coupe now comes in well over $30,000 already. A few grand premium for the Shelby seems reasonable, and I doubt Ford will have any trouble at all moving them all off dealer lots.

Thanks for the link, however, isn't the price a bit too steep? No doubt they will sell, but I think it's too close to the GT500 pricewise. A start price of $32,000-$33,000 would have seemed right. Well, at least right for me! :doh:

I agree, starting price is $36,970, then add the ass pounding charge.......sorry, .... I mean dealer mark-up and this car will be about $45,000. In the end I'm sure the dealers will find plenty of people with more dollars than sense.

I'm probably going to get flamed out the door for bringing this up here, but... :doh:

My wife and I just recently picked up a BMW 335i sedan. We picked it up in Europe, so we got a sizeable chunk of change off the purchase price. Of course, we also had to pay for a trip to Europe, but we've all seen the GT500 commercial where the guy takes his car to Germany, right? Well, yeah, its fun. In fact its amazingly fun. Bumping the rev-limiter in 4th gear is surreal, and so is driving across a country in 2 hours. Okay, so there aren'y *that* many de-regulated zones on the autobahns. But many have speeds between 80-100MPH and I made very liberal use of that. In fact, I was never the only one going 30-50MPH over the limit - always lots of company there.

Anyway, now back to the car. The out-the-door price was under $40k. It goes 0-60 in under 5 seconds accoding to magazine tests, and I can tell you its definitely faster than my car, so I believe those tests. It handles about as good as any car could hope to. Oh its not a loaded to the gills techno-gadget freak show. But who wants that anyway? No, its pretty much a stripper model. And that's the way it should be, frankly.

So, I can't help but wonder, when I see that Shelby GT price, how many people even realize what else they can get for that money. I don't mean to call anyone out, we all have our preferences, and frankly part of me wishes that Mustangs still got me fired up the way they once did. But I am here to say that these horsepower wars are alive and well, and they have permeated their way into the entry luxury market. And that is special because these cars were already RWD and great handlers, and now they are packing some nice powerplants as well. A real fun time to be a car enthusiast, no matter what you like to drive.

Ok, back to my Christmas Ale. :)

Ford has a way of ruining names. Super this super that, Freestar and Freestyle, Shelby Cobra GT500 and Shelby GT (not to be confused with Ford GT) too many similar names.

And who, in there right mind would pay close to 10K over a Mustang GT sticker for a cold air kit and stripes just to have a Shelby name on a car that has very little performance improvement?

Out of curiosity, what did it cost to bring it over here, and were there any hoops to jump through to register it?

Its all handled through BMW. They have a program designed expressly for this purpose.

Pricing is fairly aggressive. MSRP for European Delivery is roughly 7% under normal US dealer delivery. Then, because the car will not count against dealership allocation, good dealers will negotiate further. You can get them as low as $500 over European Delivery Invoice depending on the model you are buying and where you live. We paid $1200 over.

I have to agree about the Shelby GT pricing. I doubt that the two dealerships I work for will be buying many Shelby GT's. Nearly $10,000 added to the cost of a Mustang GT for minimal performance improvements (319HP vs. 300HP) and a bit of cosmetic enhancements and the Shelby name and stripes seems a bit extreme in my opinion. The GT is just too close to the GT500 pricing. As such, I doubt that there will be many dealers able to sell Shelby GT's over MSRP. FYI... I am against selling vehicles over MSRP with the possible exception of the Ford GT or GT500 because of the limited availability and only if the additional markup is within reason.

Furthermore, Ford dealers have been notified that the Shelby conversion costs (~$7,400) will not be included in the vehicle invoice but will instead be billed on the dealer's Parts Statement. So when the Shelby conversion costs show up on the Parts Statement it's like a cash expense to the dealership as opposed to it being part of the vehicle cost that can go on floorplan. Ford Credit may or may not allow dealers to put the Shelby GT conversion fees on a separate finance line. FYI... the Parts Statement is the invoicing method that Ford uses to bill dealers for all supplies and services purchased from Ford... Internet fees (DealerConnection website hosting), FordDirect.com referral fees, Vehicle Locator fees, catalog/brochures, media materials, etc.