The Ford Interceptor

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is!

Now my comments about it...

In stark contrast to the Lincoln MKR, I was excited and thrilled upon laying my eyes on the photos of this for the first time.

This Interceptor is so well detailed. I love the rear design and I like the shouldered look, fast rear window and the chrome wraparound beltline. Sure the side glass area is squashed and beltline high like the Chrysler 300 but I guess we will have to get used to this as a styling device and accept it as something Ford copied. The front end I may have to get used to. I am not thrilled with the truck-like front end, but I expect it will tie in with the new "Fairlane" front end style in a more production ready form. I do like the front fender extractors...

Overall, I get the feel that it is sort of the 427 Concept restyled.... A very good follow up to it....

I love it. I just hope some of Ford's concept stuff makes it's way into production models. They have had cool concepts for years followed up with bland product.

I love the huge wheels they stick on some of the concepts. Those look great.

The pictures look like they are from the sign graveyard here in Vegas.

I put my 2 cents on another thread but I looked at these pics and especially the rear. Holy smokes that looks awesome.

Someone mentioned it is like a 427 restyle? Yeah, I can see that too.

This is the first time I have been excited over a concept from Ford in a while. I really liked the 427 but I knew there was no way they would built it. Please built it Ford and please keep the name!

Edited by Hugh

If Ford actually built cars like this - and I mean looking 95% like this does now - the company wouldn't be in the difficulties they are now.

Sadly, it's just another concept that will never see the light of day. If they don't announce next year that they're gonna build this thing (and not some watered-down, bargain-basement, front wheel drive econobox with a cheapo interior), then this company deserves to die, frankly.

Damn, I was going crazy waiting for pics of this "thing", I had real high hopes for it, now I'm convinced Ford is totally fucking lost. They need a RWD 4 door sedan like nothing else, what they didn't need was one that looks like a squished super cheif which was one of the ugliest concepts ever. Whoever designed this hideous beast needs tio be fired ASAP!! and knowing Ford, the thrashing this beast will take will make them think people don't want a RWD sedan, when they just don't want a fugly one.

How hard is it to design something good looking? Is everybody at Ford blind or tripping on acid 24/7??? Most companies can at least make their concepts look good if not their production vehicles. From the fron quarter shot it looks like a 300 with the super cheif front end photoshopped on. The hood looks like the toilet lid on the new Miata, and from the side the front end looks like a truck, not a car, hello Ford? It's not 1963! And the chrome shit that wraps around the greenhouse is horrendous, and it looks like it was a last second add on. The rear is a joke, first year art students at my design school could do worlds better than that. Those taillights look like they had a toddler try to draw a square with a crayon and then made that shape the lights. :nonono:

And no Hurricane under the hood? Shame, that 5.0L mod V8 will never see production.

Re-design it completely, everything needs to be changed, put the 3.5 in as the base motor, the smaller of the Hurricane engines as the V8, and the 6.2L as the high power option and they have a winner.

I'm afraid to see the interior, no doubt it's some nasty retro amateurish design.. :finger:

Damn, I was going crazy waiting for pics of this "thing", I had real high hopes for it, now I'm convinced Ford is totally fucking lost. They need a RWD 4 door sedan like nothing else, what they didn't need was one that looks like a squished super cheif which was one of the ugliest concepts ever. Whoever designed this hideous beast needs tio be fired ASAP!! and knowing Ford, the thrashing this beast will take will make them think people don't want a RWD sedan, when they just don't want a fugly one.

How hard is it to design something good looking? Is everybody at Ford blind or tripping on acid 24/7??? Most companies can at least make their concepts look good if not their production vehicles. From the fron quarter shot it looks like a 300 with the super cheif front end photoshopped on. The hood looks like the toilet lid on the new Miata, and from the side the front end looks like a truck, not a car, hello Ford? It's not 1963! And the chrome shit that wraps around the greenhouse is horrendous, and it looks like it was a last second add on. The rear is a joke, first year art students at my design school could do worlds better than that. Those taillights look like they had a toddler try to draw a square with a crayon and then made that shape the lights. :nonono:

And no Hurricane under the hood? Shame, that 5.0L mod V8 will never see production.

Re-design it completely, everything needs to be changed, put the 3.5 in as the base motor, the smaller of the Hurricane engines as the V8, and the 6.2L as the high power option and they have a winner.

I'm afraid to see the interior, no doubt it's some nasty retro amateurish design.. :finger:

I have to agree on this ,it is horrid in so many ways I do not know where to begin

The only thing on the car that I like are the tail lights reto back to the mid lates Galaxies.

The rest of it should be ash canned.

If this the Panthers replcement will I keep the Charger.

They copied the 300 roof que's the front end does not belong on any full size car, the car is rounded in all the wrong spots. WTF were they on when they coughed up this thing. Jesus the 427 was about perfect I just was not wound up on the Front end.

The Stang has a well designed front end it actually as a bumper and a grill this thing looks like the front end belongs on a hover craft.

wow Ford seemed to peak about 3 years ago when it came to show cars. Latly there has been nothing notable. Bury this thing out back befor any one gets any stupid ideas.

Matthew

My problem isn't with it's looks - it's god damned stunning looking, IMO - it's that based on Ford's previous track record, they'll never build it.

Sometimes I think that Ford is in business to build concept vehicles, not ACTUAL vehicles.

My problem isn't with it's looks - it's god damned stunning looking, IMO - it's that based on Ford's previous track record, they'll never build it.

Sometimes I think that Ford is in business to build concept vehicles, not ACTUAL vehicles.

Well I thought along with the MKR this is supposed to actually be built. But who knows, Ford does have that history of teasing us, hopefully that's all in the past with Fields and Mullaly running the show now. Mullaly really seems to know his stuff.

This is one concept that would actually benefit from the watering down process to a production car. If they fixed the front, got rid of the truck profile, lost the chrome, and gave it even a normal looking rear they'd have a hit.

And I can't emphasize how bad they need to stop sticking all that tacky plasti-chrome all over their new cars and concepts, leave that crap back in the 60's and 70's where it belongs. Every good looking car from the competition has no chrome to be found that I can see. At least the grill is brushed aluminum..

Edited by Blueblood

This is one concept that would actually benefit from the watering down process to a production car. If they fixed the front, got rid of the truck profile, lost the chrome, and gave it even a normal looking rear they'd have a hit.

And I can't emphasize how bad they need to stop sticking all that tacky plasti-chrome all over their new cars and concepts, leave that crap back in the 60's and 70's where it belongs. Every good looking car from the competition has no chrome to be found that I can see. At least the grill is brushed aluminum..

Couldn't disagree more emphatically. This is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever set eyes on.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

No offence, but the 427 had a face only a mother would love, and I doubt that a mother could love THAT.

This fixed up everything that was wrong in the 427 IMO.

Now the million bucks question is, watcha gonna do Alan (& Bill)? In the past we've been promised no more useless concepts.

That Fordor should be a Thunderbird. It's just that awesome.

EDIT: Some Specs:

Powertrain

5.0-liter Cammer V-8

Chassis lengths

Overall length...........................................201.6 in.

Wheelbase.................................................120.8 in.

Overall width..............................................76.4 in.

Overall height at curb..................................54.8 in.

Track width

Front...........................................................66.5 in.

Rear............................................................67.8 in.

Suspension

Front....................... Double wishbone-independent

Rear.........................3-Link Design with Panhard Rod

Headroom

Front...........................................................37.5 in.

Second Row................................................35.9 in.

Legroom

Front...........................................................42.3 in.

Second Row................................................35.6 in.

WTF?! PANHARD ROD!? just WTF... Why isn't it an IRS? No CB?

Edited by LincolnFan

Wow! That's what I'm talking about Ford. One small step at a time is okay, but this is a leap! Sponging in the name "Interceptor" I'm thinking Crown Vic. The police squads chase the Hec' outta peple in them. It has to be the Panthers new replacement. So seeing this sketch means the Lincoln towncar gets a redesign in the near future. Im pleased with this sketch and after Ford gets all the attention from the real concept vehicle. They will have no other choice but to put it into production. Hope the police force don't contract Dodge or Chrysler for their new squad cars. I'd freak out first time I didn't get chased by one of my *Own*. A Ford product.

This is big news for me.

Edited by Linc

This is the car you get when you place the Super Chief, the 427 and the 300C all in a blender.

exactly what I was thginking... Super Chief.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing if the next F150 (coming next year) is supposed to have this look.

I didn't like it at first glance, but most of it is starting to grow on me. I could do without the squatty roof and think the front fascia needs a little work but otherwise it could be very appealing.

My biggest hope is that if Ford actually makes something close to this, it won't weigh 5,500 lbs.

Ford is gonna have to make good on this concept. Ford cannot afford to be noted again for making another concept that will never make production, esecially one this important. We have all made it known what we want and that there is a desired market for it. Now they just need to stop fucking around and build something to our expectations.

In past years, we were actually getting concepts from different manufacturers that were put into production almost intact and I think people expect that more now than they have in past decades.

I agree that the tail lights look to be drawn by a toddler, but more importantly, though the proportions are right, the chrome is wrong, it won't compete with other products American consumers will be buying in 2008-2012 well with a solid rear, and the front is the ugliest first 2 feet on a vehicle not produced by Hyundai or called a Subaru Tribeca in 15 years.

I see a lot here of the same lines I liked with the Continental they killed. Just needs IRS. Otherwise, aside from ride-handling issues, the trunk will be too small. People have repeatedly avoided buying sedans with small trunks.

The proportions are better than those of the 300, with a lower roof and a cabin set further back. For the same reasons, the interior would be much less roomy than that of the 300. Which is why a car like this one wasn't produced instead of the Five Hundred.

This car wasn't done by Horbury. He never gets cars this right in terms of surfacing, or attention to detail, of which there's almost an obsession at work here.

This was done under the guidance of either J Mays or Freeman Thomas, and my bet is on the latter.

Edited by pcsario

I agree. IMHO the front end is the worst part, unbelievably horrible. Chrysler already builds a car with a low roof for those wanting a claustrophobic feel. On a positive note the tailights remind me of a '70 LTD.