The Ford Interceptor

Just a little trivia. Does anyone know when the Interceptor name was first used? And what was the recipient of the name? No fair if you have to look it up.

i don't think it has ever been used as a car name other than as the Police Interceptor on the Crown Vic. The Interceptor V-8 engine dates back to the late '50s or early '60s

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they use this to replace the panther platform, I have one request. Keep the rear end solid live axle with optional airsuspensions set up. It worked superbly well on the panthers and made the ride compliant and able to hold enormous loads in the trunk without dipping in the rear susspension. Leave the IRS for lincoln, keep the old reliable 8.8 solid rear axle and for god sakes OFFER FORD TRACK LOK STANDARD! No open diff garbage! Just throw in a 4.6l 3v motor with the 6R70W from the Explorer and that's it. Just raise the roof four inches and get rid of that stupid three bar grill. Also, no stupid 22s! I don't want a rim larger than 18! Low profile tires blow! Just throw on a good set of five spoke 17s/ 18s with tall tires and I'll be happy. Hell, use the Marauder rims, they would be great for this vehicle. Just no oddly sized tire. Save that for a special edition, okay?

Edited by StevenJ

Just a little trivia. Does anyone know when the Interceptor name was first used? And what was the recipient of the name? No fair if you have to look it up.

I want to say it was used for boat engines, back when they stuck V8's behind the 'captain', mounted backwards and running through a V-drive arrangement.

I want to say it was used for boat engines, back when they stuck V8's behind the 'captain', mounted backwards and running through a V-drive arrangement.

I think it goes back to the T-Bird, if I recall, but could be ordered in the fullsize Ford too as far back as '58 (at least). I don't know if the Latham-axial-flow-supercharged '57s (T-Bird and Ford) were called Interceptors but they were rated at 300bhp and would put easily down a couple hundered feet of old-skinny rubber ;-)

Boy, I got to this party late!

I personally did a "Huh!" when I seen it, but after a bit of looking, it's actually has grown on me. There are some "300esque" cues, but if we've learned anything about he auto industry is that you have to keep up with the fashion of the day.

Clear lens head/tail lamps were started in the Nissan Altima, now everyone has them. Chrome is also back in a big way, and so is the low profile roofline.

As others have stated, there's nothing really wrong about the design of the Five Hundred, except that it looks like its from the early nineties.

Ford is really going their own way with this one though, and save for a few cues from other vehicles, it really would stand out on the road and shows the world what Ford does best, Tough American Style.

I like it.

Well, the wheels and exhaust will never make into production. Things that might have to change are the side mirrors and the trunk opening. The mirrors look way too small, the the lift-over is too high up on the trunk opening.

Yeah but it's a good start. The wheels are too big anyway. The name is right... the look is more or less right (although I think they should just copy the Mustang headlights), the powertrain is right. Now all they need to do is figure out:

1. how to make it buildable while retaining the cool look

2. Build it so that they can have it running down the same production line as the Mustang to maximize the use of existing assets. Underutilized factories is way more expensive than any labour cost issue.

3. Make an even longer version which would become the Lincoln Town Car, with even more performance and have it as a true flagship vehicle to move Lincoln upmarket.

4. Make a cheaper version of that longer version and make that the Mercury Grand Marquis. This would be the true 'cheap luxury/airport limo' replacement for the current Lincoln Town Car.

5. Price it so that the airport limo/taxi guys go for the Grand Marquis rather than the Lincoln. There should be no fleet sales of any Lincoln.

6. Make a Lincoln coupe/convertable version (Lincoln Mark 9) using the Interceptor wheelbase, but with the premium engine and other features from the four door Lincoln.

The very first reference I have EVER seen to the Interceptor was in a late '56 Drag News paper that reported drag race results for various tracks in S. California. A guy by the name of Bill Abella bought the '57 version of the 312 engine, blueprinted it and ran it at the drags in the engine bay of his 1956 Customline hardtop. It was called the Interceptor. He proceeded to spank everyone that day and wound up the TOP STOCK at 93 mph, which was then, an awesome time. Altho all '57 engines had Thunderbird on the valve cover, the 312, 245 HP was apparently, also known as the Interceptor. By '58, the Interceptor name was on the aircleaner on no less than 3 engines, 240HP, 265 HP, and the 300 HP Special Interceptor. In '59-60, Ford went back to naming the engines Thunderbird. By 1961, the Interceptor name was given to a COMPLETE packaged car for law enforcement ONLY. There were literally dozens of Interceptor specific items for the police cruiser package, including spare tire relocation to mount radio equiptment, canvas seat covers WITH rifle pocket and hand throttle. The egine was a 390 with solid lifters and rated 330 HP. I am not sure, but it could have been the first COMPLETELY packaged cop car much like the Crown Vic Police Interceptor of today.

Edited by ford-boy

Please build this. I will be waiting in line!

If built it has to keep the 6-speed!!!!

I too would buy this if built. But only if it had the 6 speed manual transmission! I wouldn't car if all it got was the 300HP 3V 4.6, as long as it has a manual tranny, I will be first in line!

If built (unfortunately doubtful), it won't have a manual transmission.

:shrug: I do believe Ford will build a 4 door sedan based on the Mustang. Unfortunately, I also believe that when built, it will not have a manual transmission. But, if by some sheer insanity that Ford builds it with a manual tranny behind a V8, it will be my next car.

Yeah, has to keep the 6-spd or what's the point?!

I suppose a sequential paddle-shifter might be a good compromise, but not for me -- 6-speed or no sale. If it was 20 years ago when our family was younger I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!! The styling is Ford-bold all-American and makes the 300 look 'dated' -- that's exactly what's needed. It would also sell as a low-slung wagon (ooops the "w'" word), ahem, make that a low-slung CUV ;-)

I highly doubt a manual would be available. Even with the LS there was only a 5% take rate, and they eventually dropped that idea. Many other manufacturer's are dropping their manuals as well. The few that do, probably make up for it with either engine or trim upgrade options. I say slap a $2K premium for it and that'll make up for it.

Here is a bold idea;

Offer a DSG/twin clutch type tranny on a volume model. If Nissan can offer a CVT on its high power Maxima, and the 500 already has one, how about offering a performance/fuel economy enhancing part on a model designed to make maximmum use of it and the ecomonies of scale? It could then also be used in other lines, and offset the cost of digging out, er , resource utilization, of an idle plant.

Not to mention the press going insane with Ford actually being first to market with it. They could not miss it, even if they wanted to.

And no, I am not drinking...

Reality Check,

The best concept in the world won't help me sell the boring crap on my showroom floor

I'm taking about the refreshed Escape which comes to market with the least competitive powertrain in its class.

The 08 Ford Focus which merely brings Focus up to the where it should have been in 05.

With both vehicles I want to know where the 5 speed and 6 speed auto trannies are?

Ford can advertise bold moves all it wants but it to me bold means TO LEAD not to follow which is all Ford is doing right now.

The Edge, the Mustang, the Fusion, they seem to be the exceptions to the Rule of Mediocrity at Ford. Come on Mark Fields lets kick some BUTT!

Mark.

Whats the deal with the 5 Liter V8 they have in it? Is it something based on the Mods or the Boss engine? Or just a one off design?

That's a crate engine offered by Ford Racing. I think it costs about $10K.

As for the Interceptor; WOW! I'm thrilled! I'm not decided on the grill yet, (more into egg crate, never cared for the 3 bar design). But the rest of the car is dead- nuts on the mark.

1, Front wheels are way out front where they belong.

2, Hood is nice and long. No short hood syndrome here! (could even fit the AU I-6 under there)!

3, Rear overhang is just right.

4, Green house is cool but will most likely be raised on a production model, profile could take 2-3" and still look great.

5, Body side crease look great & helps break up the high belt line.

6, Fender air vent looks really cool, hope it's funtional & they leave it that way.

7, Clam shell hood is cool. Does it open at the front or back?

This car ir proportionaly near perfect. Let's just hope it stays this way in production form.

Now, let's have some discussion on powertrain. That 5.0 Cammer will not be under the hood of a production version. So........

6.2 Hurricane

3.5 V-6

4.0 Aussie I-6 turbo

Edited by Hemiman

Here is a bold idea;

Offer a DSG/twin clutch type tranny on a volume model. If Nissan can offer a CVT on its high power Maxima, and the 500 already has one, how about offering a performance/fuel economy enhancing part on a model designed to make maximmum use of it and the ecomonies of scale? It could then also be used in other lines, and offset the cost of digging out, er , resource utilization, of an idle plant.

Not to mention the press going insane with Ford actually being first to market with it. They could not miss it, even if they wanted to.

And no, I am not drinking...

Does anyone other than VW-Audi have a DSG in a production car? Could Ford source this from current a transmission manufacturer?

Edited by Hemiman

Does anyone other than VW-Audi have a DSG in a production car? Could Ford source this from current a transmission manufacturer?

Ford will have DualClutch ready by the Fall of 2007 - will roll out in Volvo's and trickle down. However it seems it will not be able of handling more than V6 torque ...

Igor

Every time Ihave some reason for optimism, Ford lays another egg!

:censored:

Once again, they try to substitute styling for design, and design for engineering. Once again, despite the excellent Falcon platform down under, which makes more margin adjusting for currency conversions than the Panther cars, they go for shareholder value with Mac Struts up front and live axle in the rear. Once again, instead of maximising interior room (like they did on the 500), they go for "fillig out the parking space." It's like they are deliberately driving me away from the showroom!

This is what they mortgaged their entire North American operations for?

The Edge, the Mustang, the Fusion, they seem to be the exceptions to the Rule of Mediocrity at Ford. Come on Mark Fields lets kick some BUTT!

Mark.

Thankfully the people who responsible for the Escape and Focus are long gone now. At least the Focus will be completive again. Hopefully Ford has powertrain update for the Escape ASAP

Looks like this is a Borg Warner design. Ford is currently their biggest customer followed by VW-Audi. So... I would think that a dual clutch transmission is a real possibility for Ford, (right now! not in ten years).

http://www.borgwarner.com/products/ts/fric...ch_system.shtml

I really like the look of the car, with the exception of the front end. Clean that up a little, drop in the upcoming "Hurricane" based V8 and they'll have a hit.

Yes, it does have some design cues taken from the 300, specifically the high belt line, but this car looks much better in my opinion.

I am guessing the rear suspension is a solid rear axle so the car can be used in severe duty applications such as Taxis and Law Enforcement. If anything, the new Mustang has shown that a properly set up 3-link rear suspension can work very well and save costs to boot.

Looks like this is a Borg Warner design. Ford is currently their biggest customer followed by VW-Audi. So... I would think that a dual clutch transmission is a real possibility for Ford, (right now! not in ten years).

http://www.borgwarner.com/products/ts/fric...ch_system.shtml

I believe you are right about the VW source of the DSG, but I believe Ford's DSG is to come from Gertrag - after all Ford does own them.

and As I said above - they are releasing it this fall.

Igor