T56 problem

Dirk

I’ve got a T56 (Cobra) over a year ago, the tranny runs still fine, but it makes lot of noise. It made this noise right from the beginning, it got better after a the break in period, but it’s still there and annoying.

It’s a rattling sound at high rpm’s and when accelerating in high gear between 1k – 2k rpm.

The noise is almost gone when the tranny is cold and gets worse when the tranny heats up.

I plan on changing the throw out bearing to see if it helps, but I doubt it.

I’m using synchromesh oil, should I try switching to different oil or is there an additive which would help?

I’ve heard that the Ford friction modifier helps reducing the noise, but I’m not sure if it’s save to try.

What do you guys think, what can I do?

I’ve got a T56 (Cobra) over a year ago, the tranny runs still fine, but it makes lot of noise. It made this noise right from the beginning, it got better after a the break in period, but it’s still there and annoying.

It’s a rattling sound at high rpm’s and when accelerating in high gear between 1k – 2k rpm.

The noise is almost gone when the tranny is cold and gets worse when the tranny heats up.

I plan on changing the throw out bearing to see if it helps, but I doubt it.

I’m using synchromesh oil, should I try switching to different oil or is there an additive which would help?

I’ve heard that the Ford friction modifier helps reducing the noise, but I’m not sure if it’s save to try.

What do you guys think, what can I do?

My '03 Cobra didn't make any unusual tranny noises (just the "normal" clunks) and neither does the T56 in my Corvette (which clunks just like the ones in the Cobra :).

Forget the friction modifier, take your car to your dealer for service!

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming from the transmission.

This is the explanation for the rattle I got from a guy on another forum (LS1):

"All the 6-speed cars have this rattle. It is not a defective part or a malfunction. The tolerances on the main shaft are kept loose in order to handle the enormous torque loads generated by the engine. When you push the clutch pedal in, the input shaft stops turning so the noise goes away."