OAC- Say Goodbye to C-shift?

CanAm

Whoever thought that there was going to be a C shift was dreaming, not until another product comes and I mean past the "fairlane". The numbers they want witht the edge and fairlane they can easily produce with 2 shifts. Paint and body will stay the same cause they can barely keep up going 3 shifts now.

Whoever thought that there was going to be a C shift was dreaming, not until another product comes and I mean past the "fairlane". The numbers they want witht the edge and fairlane they can easily produce with 2 shifts. Paint and body will stay the same cause they can barely keep up going 3 shifts now.

what are you talking about body and paint can't keep up, go ask anyone that works in body build how many full 40 hour weeks they have worked, not that many, as far as the c shift coming I've heard differently that possibly in april with all 3 shifts taking turns being laid off one week a month, if they don't start the c shift don't expect body and paint to stay 3 shifts either and even more layoffs will come

what are you talking about body and paint can't keep up, go ask anyone that works in body build how many full 40 hour weeks they have worked, not that many, as far as the c shift coming I've heard differently that possibly in april with all 3 shifts taking turns being laid off one week a month, if they don't start the c shift don't expect body and paint to stay 3 shifts either and even more layoffs will come

He's right I haven't worked a 40 hr week since we came back in July, we average 33-35 hrs

Don't know where you work but paint on midnights (I work there) have been working pretty steady and long. Other than sun. night .

What is c shift? is that a whole production shift?

if so what is the cause ? isnt the edge selling well?

It gets kind of tricky to explain, but here goes:

Body and paint are running on the flex agreement- 3 shifts A;B;and C

Trim and chassis are running on 2 shifts(scheduled 10)

Material handling is also running 3 shifts, but not flex

Skilled trades I'm not quite sure of their operating hours.

We never did have a C shift for trim and chassis, only a pipe dream. The sales of the EDGE right now do not warrant running the plant 24hrs./day.

It gets kind of tricky to explain, but here goes:

Body and paint are running on the flex agreement- 3 shifts A;B;and C

Trim and chassis are running on 2 shifts(scheduled 10)

Material handling is also running 3 shifts, but not flex

Skilled trades I'm not quite sure of their operating hours.

We never did have a C shift for trim and chassis, only a pipe dream. The sales of the EDGE right now do not warrant running the plant 24hrs./day.

Skilled Trades = 3 shifts

heard differently that possibly in april with all 3 shifts taking turns being laid off one week a month, if they don't start the c shift don't expect body and paint to stay 3 shifts either and even more layoffs will come

The rotating work sharing would be the best scenario in my opinion. Slight slant due to my seniority ;-)

I have a feeling that if "said rumor" is true that we ( junior ) will not be so fortunate this time as I was told that if C is canceled, it’s all departments.

Wonder what the body count would be? 400 -500 -600 ?

Well…will just have to let this one fester until our representatives and company work something out. Hopefully a decision will be made in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback.................

The rotating work sharing would be the best scenario in my opinion. Slight slant due to my seniority ;-)

I have a feeling that if "said rumor" is true that we ( junior ) will not be so fortunate this time as I was told that if C is canceled, it’s all departments.

Wonder what the body count would be? 400 -500 -600 ?

Well…will just have to let this one fester until our representatives and company work something out. Hopefully a decision will be made in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback.................

The only advantage that I can see with keeping extra people would be to stack the COA vote. I can't see junior members voting yes, anyway, because they would be the first to be laid off with the cuts.

This is not 2004. The only quarter you will get will have a moose on it.

Edited by Trimdingman

Unless your working alone in some dark corner or have been sleeping through your shift this baby is running rampant on the floor? Thoughts on said rumor?

In all likelihood this will primarliy apply to C-Shift material handling. Let's face it......coming in at midnight to work a mere 4 hours for 7.5 hrs pay doesn't exactly make a whole lot of financial sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Pre-delivery was also cut.

Could paint and body lose the 3rd shift? Possible I guess but the fact is even in the old days building the Freestar they couldn't keep up to trim running 10hr shifts. Plus if I remember correctly, their units per hour rate is lower than trim so the 3 shifts is more or less required to keep trim full of units to build.

The 3rd shift will eventually come to trim but were a long ways off.......4th QTR of 2007 at the earliest. And that will obviously hinge on getting the "Fairlane" up and running. But as I've said numerous times before, if we're just building Edges, we won't go 3 shifts.....that kind of production is simply is not required for that vehicle which although is selling well, doesn't sell anywhere near those kind of numbers to justify it. The company's goal is to get us to putting out around 880 per day in 8hr shifts because that's all they need right now.

As for the seniority bumping mentioned......laid off C-shift crew can't bump for 3 months unless the union and company decide they want to go against their own CBA.

Maybe the new body build equipment is better. If they fall behind, they can make it up on weekends. Come spring, we will see how this thing is going to sell. Detroit is not going to sit by for months waiting for production to get up to speed. They will be turning the screws. If the orders are there, they will go to three shifts. I can't see it before the new model.