Grade Assist and engine braking

reball

I'm interested in the the Edge, and because I live in a hilly area, I've been concerned with availability of engine braking. I noticed in the Edge manual, the button on the transmission selector in not just an overdrive lockout, but also engages a "Grade Assist" feature which may initiate downshift(s). Can anyone elaborate. It sounds as if it might not just lockout 6th speed but may also downshift from 5th to 4th or maybe even lower. This sounds like a great and unpublicized feature (it's not referred to in the Edge website) that some owners may hardly be aware of. Is there an Edge owner out there who has experimented with this and can report on how the feature works? Thanks much in advance!

Wow--just after posting this question, I read the revised Edge manual posted on this website, and the reference to "grade assist" that was in the original manual is now deleted, and instead of saying that the button locks out 6th and causes the tranny to operate in first through fifth, the revised manual simply says the trans operates in first through fourth! Wonder if someone with a new Edge could try this experiment--at around 50 mph, push the button with throttle closed and watch the tach. RPMs should rise somewhat and you should feel engine braking--allow car to slow down--are there further downshifts or does car hold fourth? This raises the question of whether the transmission has been altered or is this just a change in the manuals? This interests me because there is an Australian Ford (the Territory) which does tout a "Grade Assist" feature. Ford definitely does have the technology. Would love to have someone from Ford shed light on this.