Ford closing dealers the right way.

shelby17

I must say, as many new cars as I see being sold at this place, what is the owner doing with the money? If he isn't paying FORD, he should have himself a nice little stash of $$$$

Judge keeps Clinton dealer’s doors open

By Dennis Pelham

Daily Telegram

New! Tue Jun 30, 2009, 05:30 PM EDT

ADRIAN, Mich. -

An agreement was reached Monday morning in Lenawee County Circuit Court to keep open the Clinton-Tecumseh Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealership while a buyer is sought to take over the business.

Judge Timothy P. Pickard convinced an attorney from Ford Motor Credit Co. to allow the ailing dealership to remain open temporarily with restrictions to protect Ford’s collateral for more than

$5 million in debts.

Ford Motor Credit decided to seek a liquidation of the dealership’s assets after a May 22 audit revealed that Ford had not been paid $1.2 million for vehicles that had been sold, said attorney Leonora Baughman. More vehicles have since been sold since then, she said, boosting the “out of trust” car sale total to $1.7 million.

“This dealership, like other dealerships around the nation, has fallen on hard times,” said attorney Roy Hunsinger of Milford, representing the Clinton-based dealership.

“Today, I’m very frustrated,” Hunsinger told the court. He has been talking with another car dealer about taking over the business, he said, but he has not been able to get a price from Ford officials.

“They’re asking for a shutdown without a real hearing,” Hunsinger said. “Give me an opportunity to negotiate a sale of this dealership.”

Hunsinger said he is not accusing Ford Motor Co. of being uncaring about the people who work at the dealership. But its 40 employees will suffer if the business is shut down and liquidated.

“Forty different families stand to lose their livelihood,” he argued. If the dealership is shut down, he said, the community will permanently lose those jobs.

“We don’t need more unemployment in this state or this community,” Hunsinger said.

“I appreciate there is significant unemployment in the state of Michigan. It’s the worst in 25 years,” Johnson said. But there are no formal purchase offers on the table or even a notice from dealership owners that they want to sell, she said.

Instead of shutting down the business, Pickard suggested an order that would protect Ford Motor Co. from further losses while the owners attempt to sell the business.

Johnson agreed if the order requires personal property to be insured and prevents any assets from being sold.

Hunsinger agreed to allow Ford to take back its vehicles that are still on the lot.

Co-owner Stephen Hazzard of Tecumseh said Monday afternoon that his only goal at this point is to save his employees’ jobs.

“I’m doing whatever I can to keep the dealership going by refinancing or by selling the store,” he said. “My whole concern is the employees.”

Pickard said he will review the case in 30 days.

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x737349472/...er-s-doors-open