Would the 'Mustang' sell better as a premium brand than Lincoln?

I like the Mustang. I like it's all American V8 sound track and looks. I am also a European and can't buy one. So I think it's odd that Ford is about to spend a shed load of money on Lincoln when it could do to Mustang what BMW did to the MINI. Why not just launch Mustang as an independent brand (a la Range Rover).

Why doesn't Ford create a range of Premium Mustangs and market them globally? In Europe I think we would go for the existing Mustang, especially if optioned with V6's and v6/ v8 diesels. I also think that a 5 door and even a tourer would sell extremely well here. The brand would even sit well on a performance cross over.

Yet Ford obsesses with the moribund Lincoln brand. Why? In Europe we have no desire for the Lincoln brand. When European's think Lincoln they think of those 'damn awfull 70's and 80's American car's'. That's not me being nasty, but I believe it's an accurate reflection of how European's see Lincoln's of that era.

Investing money in Lincoln is a waste of time and money. Investing in 'Mustang' just plain makes sense. And no I don't think Ford can afford to do both right now.

• Like 1