Focus impression - two weeks in

ranchero

I've owned and driven a 2012 Focus SE hatch for two weeks.

My overall rating is that it is an excellent, well designed, well assembled quality car.

The car is very German. The interior and especially the controls give away the German design heritage. The message center system is very similar to two recent Mercedes I have owned. The car is put together surprisingly well and also feels very German in precision of manufacture.

My car has a five speed manual so I have none of the various complaints that owners of the six speed auto seem to repeatedly have. The shifter travel is a bit too far for my tastes; I would prefer shorter throws like in a Miata. Shifter is easy to use and smooth.The gearing ranges are fine.

The engine has enough guts - barely. Acceleration in first from zero to five or ten mph is weak - especially for a driver like me used to V-8 pop in a Mustang or Mercedes. I think the gearing and clutch serve fuel economy - not acceleration (or fun). Once the car is moving, acceleration in second through fifth is adequate.

Interior is very comfortable for driver and one passenger. Rear seat is as useless as it is in a Mustang. Leather quality is good and patterns used are attractive. Steering column is easily adjustable for comfort of a particular driver - as is the driver seat. Load area with rear seat down is big and I appreciate that the floor lies flat. Controls are at first different and complicated but easy to learn and also very well designed for easy use by a familiar owner.

My car does not have "sync" or "mft" so I have none of the complaints that drivers of cars with these gadgets have. I ordered a simpler car without these sophisticated systems that seem to only bring grief; I think keeping it simple makes the car easier to live with.

Fuel mileage - all city driving around town - is running at 30 indicated on the message system. This is excellent.

I am quite pleased with the car - especially the German quality and design. To improve the car I would make it a station wagon and sacrifice mpg for more low end power.

- ranchero -