The Future of Ford Trucks

mrash

As a lifetime Ford fan, I've been thinking about Ford's future and what products they should build? In my opinion, with the price of gas around $3 and talk of going to $4 they should downsize their offerings. I propose the following:

Ford Explorer – Restyle the Freestyle and place the Explorer nameplate on it. With the Escape and Edge coming on board, the restyled Explorer nameplate would continue with better gas mileage and families that require three rows have an option they afford to drive everyday.

Ford Expedition – Restyle the Explorer platform and place the Expedition nameplate on it. For people that require towing in their life, this could become the new standard. Keep the current Expedition and call it the XL and place a diesel engine for everyday driving.

Ranger – Build a truck based off the Edge platform. A lot of people need a truck but also need to drive it everyday. Make 4WD standard and place a 4cyl as standard equipment with a V-6 optional. This vehicle could tow 3500 lbs max and make Ford a leader in small trucks again. With a standard cab along with extended cab and 4-door – there's something for everybody. I would definitely buy one tomorrow.

Sport Trac – Restyle the body and call the F-100. For someone that needs a truck to tow but can't afford an F-150 (gas mileage) this would be perfect. Along with a standard cab with extended cab and 4-door, this could keep Ford #1 in trucks. With the flexibility of building an F-100 or Expedition off the same running chassis, the cost would be minimal and offers people choices.

F-150 – Continue to build the F150 & F250 but add diesel engines as an alternative engine. Take the weight out and also add cylinder cutoff as standard equipment. I believe there is a market for such vehicles but that market will shrink in the coming years.

I believe the future is in smaller vehicles with 4cyl and V-6 displacements. The options I have offered are mainly restyling exercises. The platforms are already in place. The faster Ford realizes this and shifts production to smaller vehicles, the faster profits will return to North America. What do you think?

:shrug:

If the Edge is based on the Fusion platform, I think I'd go a step larger and base the Ranger on the Freestyle platform, sister to your Explorer idea.

I think your ideas have merit. It's going to take Ford a few years to transition out of their heavy percentage of body-on-frame truck based transportation.