3.55 rear end

Is it true the new 3.55 rear end is a lot better than the old 3.73 rear end? I'm asking because I let the sales manager talk me into the 3.55. He assured me it would be enough. I pull a large 5th wheel 1 or 2 times per month.

I have a 2012 kr crew cab fx4 on order. Other than pulling the 5th wheel , it is a family truck.

Edited by RickyGuidroz

As far as the rear end being "new" and "old", the housing should be the same regardless of the ring and pinion ratio selected. The only thing I can imagine that the sales manager was talking about is the electronic locking option versus the open differential. In general, the 3.73 would be better for pulling a fifth wheel while the 3.55 will be better while not towing. However, if you do a build and price on an F-250, the 3.55 gear ratio is only available with the diesel engine while the 3.73 is only available with the 6.2 gas engine. The torque differences between the two engines would necessitate a lower ratio gear behind the gas engine and with 800 lbs.-ft. in the diesel, the lower ratio is not necessary in most applications. Honestly, the difference between the two ratios is not that much and the choice of engine is what you should be most concerned with.

Edited by ClutchTime

I failed to mention I ordered the 6.7 diesel. Thanks for explaining It so well. In your opinion, did I get the best all around truck? I dont haul that far. 50- 60 miles at the most. Like I said, only twice per month. I have a 36 ft toy hauler. 14k fully loaded. I know I should have a f350 Dually , but I don't like them.

Both the 250 and 350 SRW have a listed tow rating of 14K regardless of bed length, axle ratio, or drive options. DRW is the only thing that makes a difference apparently on the build and price feature. As long as the manufacturer says the vehicle is capable of what you need it for twice a month, what you do with it the other twenty-eight days should matter more. Personally, I've had to drive a crew cab, 8' bed dually around for work and have no problem doing so but, if it's not necessary I'd rather not deal with a personal vehicle that large. Especially when I don't need it 90% of the time. As far as gas or diesel, the diesel is the only option I'd consider in a Super Duty even if I weren't towing.