2013 Escape A/C Has Mind of Its Own

ruteger

I just bought a Frosted Glass 2013 Escape 'S' (the strippo 'rental special' with the 2.5L engine) with Sync the only available option.

With only 800 miles on the odometer, I've noticed that the A/C seems unable to consistantly remember the last setting when restarted. 1/3 of the time, it remembers the last setting, i.e., only A/C 'on'.

Another 1/3 of the time, it reactivates 'recirculate' (no, it's not on the 'Max A/C' setting, either) which takes two (2) presses of the recirculate button to turn back off.

The final 1/3 of the time, it completely turns the A/C off so the fan is blowing nothing but warm air.

It's seems to have been doing this from the first day I drove it off the lot. Is anyone else having this issue? I can't say it's something I'll take back to the dealer for, but it's irritating.

Another problem that recently cropped up (but only once) was that the rear wiper decided to start wiping intermittently when the front wiper was on the same, intermittent setting. On top of that, it wouldn't shut off! While it only happened once (it was the first time I'd driven the vehicle in the rain), combined with the A/C issue, is this indicative of more electrical problems to come? I mean, the thing only has 800 miles on it.

I'm not particularly impressed with the gas mileage, either (under 24 on the highway).

Edited by ruteger

I believe there is a TSB out for the manual climate contol system, see your dealer about that.

For the rear windshield wiper, it comes on automatically when you have it in reverse and the front wipers are on. There is a selection to turn it off in the message center. If it's doing it while driving forward, check the wiper stalk, if not see your dealer.

Let the engine break in a few thousand miles before worring about the gas mileage.

Thanks.

Got the TSB # for the manual climate control system? My experience has been that service department personnel (of any manufacturer) are woefully ignorant of most TSBs and it's best to be able to provide a printed as proof that there is, indeed, a TSB that addresses the issue.

Just remembered when I went looking for it, it was a broadcast message from Ford, there is not a TSB yet. It said something about the Manual temperature control system having issues upon startup it's not in the function selected on the manual knobs. It said engineering is aware of the problem and is currently working on a fix. If I see something in the future I will post to this thread, otherwise have your dealer keep a lookout for it.

Good enough. It's more of just a minor annoyance at this point. So long as it's not a problem that degrades and gets worse and/or affects other systems, and you'd be willing to post any future developments, I'll just keep checking the thread and deal with it at that time.

Thanks, again.