2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L I4 Air Filter

SVT_MAN

Hey guys -

Weird question for you all.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL 2.5L I4. Tonight, I decided I wanted to replace my engine's air filter in prepartion for a trip to Michigan tomorrow. So I went to Walmart and purchased a CA10094 FRAM.

But I couldn't get it installed no matter what I did. The three plastic lips on the top of my air box will not clearance the flanges no matter what I do. I tried manuevering the air box 100 different ways and it made no difference. I even removed the O2 sensor temporarily to see if that would help. It's like the rubber outer guard on the air filter is too thick or something?

I thought I was going crazy, so for giggles, I put the old one back in. That one didn't go back in without a fight, but it went back in within 20 seconds. Tried the new one - one more time. No dice. No matter what I did I could not get it in!

I am going to bed because I can't mess with this all night, but seriously ... does this air filter not work on 2010 models? By the way, why did Ford remove the overhead light on the engine bay? My 2006 had one. Really hard to work on a car at night without an overhead light.

Back to the air filter though: maybe it's just that the rubber is too hard when it's 25 degrees farenheit outside? I don't know. All I know is I'm really frustrated and wishing I had had the guys at Ford change it for me the last time I was there. I'm kind of a DIY guy, but nothing is worth this amount of frustration.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Turns out it was all about the rubberized material being too hard to flex in the cold. (Probably didn't hurt that Ford decided not to put an overhead light on the engine bay and it was dark either .. *sigh*)

I tried it again when it was 53 degrees outside and it didn't snap in easily, but it did eventually work.