Fusion 2013 Cabin Air Filter

Darthsnipe

OK....where is the YouTube video on this? :read:

That sounds pretty involved to replace it every few years. I'd like to see a video of it before trying myself. I'm sure the dealer would charge over 50 to do it

The video is coming up shortly, I just bought a new smart phone (VZW HTC One) and decided to make a video of the Cabin Air Filter replacement process using my new phone to test the video quality. I will keep this thread updated once the video is up and running in a matter of a few hours.

Bummer, the HTC One isn't very comparable with the Fusion. I've had the One since May and I'm not impressed with how to two interact.

Not to get off-topic, but might as well reply while I'm waiting for the video to process. I haven't had any problems with the phone interacting with MFT/Fusion 2013. It goes through Bluetooth just fine without any random drops, the sound quality is great on calls, it reads and replies to my text messages and I haven't had any music streaming problems.

According to Sync....

Supported:
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Caller ID
Call History Download
Join Calls
Transfer to Privacy
Does not support:
Phone Tethering
Photo ID - This seems to work about 95% of the time
SMS Text Messaging - Seems to work pretty well but is often flaky. Also stops working after weeks of working and requires the device be removed and re-installed.
Transfer to Privacy - Not even sure what this is
Automatic Phonebook Download - Seems to work just fine.
It does seem to work just not as well as I would expect from two cutting edge technologies.

According to Sync....

Supported:
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Caller ID
Call History Download
Join Calls
Transfer to Privacy
Does not support:
Phone Tethering
Photo ID - This seems to work about 95% of the time
SMS Text Messaging - Seems to work pretty well but is often flaky. Also stops working after weeks of working and requires the device be removed and re-installed.
Transfer to Privacy - Not even sure what this is
Automatic Phonebook Download - Seems to work just fine.
It does seem to work just not as well as I would expect from two cutting edge technologies.

I think my VZW One actually supports all of the "non-supported" stuff. Does it have to do with the fact that my phone came with the Android 4.2.2 update unlike those that were released before Verizon got their hands on it? HTC just released the HTC One for the Verizon network roughly over a week ago.

Phone Tethering - Haven't tried it, will eventually
Photo ID - Works all the time
SMS Text Messaging - Works all the time
Transfer to Privacy - Not even sure what this is - It means taking your phone call over the phone instead of going through the Bluetooth speakers by switching it via MFT - it works for me
Automatic Phonebook Download - It works just fine as well.

Here you guys, I have finally placed a video up on YouTube to show how to replace the Cabin Air Filter in the 2013 Ford Fusion. It was my first ever demonstration video to the public too so bare with me. I would like to thank the Blue Oval Forums community for their massive help. Here is my contribution to the community and I hope this helps for every '13 Fusion owner our there :)

Edited by Darthsnipe
  • Like 3

Thanks for the video - I'll definitely be using it when I have to replace mine.

Now for the all-important question - did it fix the smell?

Indeed it did. Apparently, when I smelled the old filter (Don't do it), I noticed the same smell. According to my auto mechanic colleague and very very close observation of the old filter one day later, there was tiny debris, moisture and mold deep within the fibers of the old filter (which is why I urge you not to sniff the filter), quite possibly from the extreme temperature fluctuations and multiple road trips to parts unknown.

It has been 4 days since the cabin air filter change, no smell/odor to be detected and I can breathe freely now :)

• Like 1

Here you guys, I have finally placed a video up on YouTube to show how to replace the Cabin Air Filter in the 2013 Ford Fusion.

Thanks much for the video, I've also posted it on the Hybrid and Energi forums -- this will help a lot of users, and I'm impressed you did so well since most of it was one-handed while holding the camera in the other! Great job!

Thanks much for the video, I've also posted it on the Hybrid and Energi forums -- this will help a lot of users, and I'm impressed you did so well since most of it was one-handed while holding the camera in the other! Great job!

Lol, it was my first time ever making a video for the general public (normally I make videos for my friends on Facebook or something). I am happy that you were impressed. I thought I was too shaky to be honest.

Now I understand why Ford wants like $130 to do it... not that I'd pay it, but I see where they are coming from; pain for them = $pain for you.

Yeah, it's either you pay the money pain or do the labor pain. I guess after a few rounds of changing this filter, it gets easier.

Just piling on, but thanks for the video... I changed by cabin air filter a couple hours ago. Time consuming, but not "difficult" (well, other than breaking off a clip on the side trim piece; it was the clip closest to the front of the car---sorry, can't think of a better way of describing which one. It completely broke off the flat part of the trim piece, not just the clip, but the plastic piece sticking up holding the clip).

Other than that, no issues. I bought my filter from my dealership yesterday (was there to have them install lowering springs & sway bar). I figured I was paying them enough for labor on my springs/sway bar install; didn't feel like paying even more for a relatively easy filter install. Just gotta have a bit of time & patience. I estimate it took me 20 minutes start to finish.