'07 Focus SES or ST?

johnjyi

I am considering an '07 Focus but need your input based on your experience and/or knowledge on a couple of things. :sos:

I like the ST with the 2.3L engine w/ manual transmission. :woohoo: However, the ST comes with suede inserts on the leather seats. :shrug: On the other hand, the SES sedan comes with leather inserts on the leather seats; however, I can only get the 2.0L engine that gets 136 hp. :ohsnap:

So, what I would like to know are as follows:

1) Is there that much of a difference in performance between the 2.3L and the 2.0L?

2) Should I really be concerned with the suede should it get wet?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

I am considering an '07 Focus but need your input based on your experience and/or knowledge on a couple of things. :sos:

I like the ST with the 2.3L engine w/ manual transmission. :woohoo: However, the ST comes with suede inserts on the leather seats. :shrug: On the other hand, the SES sedan comes with leather inserts on the leather seats; however, I can only get the 2.0L engine that gets 136 hp. :ohsnap:

So, what I would like to know are as follows:

1) Is there that much of a difference in performance between the 2.3L and the 2.0L?

Get a spray called "camp dry" for the suede...it is a water-proofing........ST is a MUCH better choice!

I am considering an '07 Focus but need your input based on your experience and/or knowledge on a couple of things.

In my opinion there wasn't a terribly huge difference between the ST amd SES Foci. The ST also has siffer springs and some otehr upgraded undercarriage bits, but it also get stung with a high insurance premuim.

14hp and a stiffer ride is just not a big enough deal for me to have paid the extra for the car plus the insurance.

The ZX5 SES with the Street Appearance Package looks pretty sharp and offers nearly the same performance for a lot less.

alt.jpg

But that's just my opinion!

Edited by Jason Kerluck

But that's just my opinion!

The insurance on both is the same on both.

I have an ST, I checked.

The 14 HP isn't where you feel the difference, it's the difference in torque.

And any mods that you do are proportional. Makes a 40WHP difference boosted at 9PSI.

The ST has the SVT suspension (dampers, struts and sway bars) minus the springs. Unfortunately post-'05 STs can't use the SVT and pre-'05 aftermarket springs. I have Eibach Prolines on mine, rides on rails.

I've got an '05 SES 5-speed, my housemate has an '05 ST 5-speed. If you prefer the higher fuel economy, go with the SES - it should get at least several MPG better - otherwise, I prefer the ST, it feels more powerful, handles more tightly, and the premium sound and heated seats are nice as well.

• 3 months later...
I am considering an '07 Focus ...

My '06 ST with Street Appearance Package #1!

ppnrq84dfy.jpg

s7rfyktsjz.jpg

What's not to like. :shades:

1) There is a notable difference in torque with the 2.3, that's where you really "feel" it.

2) I hate leather seats, and the ST's regular seats are just perfect for me (and are heated too!)

Edited by firemanfrank

ST also has 4 wheel discs that work very well.

My 2005 Liquid Grey ST commuter car has 6 disc, moonroof, traction control, heated leather/suede seats, all power accesories windows doors etc.., it looks good and is really fun to drive with the torque readily available at low rpm. The 2.3 is a great motor and Cosworth makes all kinds of performance parts if you want to go radical and spend $$$$

We have full "leather" in the Mustang Vert, Sport Trac and the 07 Suburban LTZ....I much prefer the suede/leather combo in the Focus ST, especially in the hot climate here...way more comfortable and grippy on the butt in corners.

I have tinted my windows, (medium titanium graphite), installed a Steeda cold air intake, (highly recommend this mod!), put in Mobil 1 with a K&N oil filter, (every 6000 miles it gets changed and it's still clean), short antenna, and tuned it with a Superchips SCT2 Premium fuel program that nets about 10 hp, coupled with the CAI it probably gained 15-18 hp by the ass-o-meter and is flawlessly smooth and torquey.

I also replaced the lame OEM Pirelli P6's with BFG G-trac Sport Comps in the stock size, 205/50/16, which is why I removed the 112 mph speed limiter and raised the redline to 7000 witht the SCT2.....just enough to hit 60 in 2nd gear. I have senn an indicated 135 mph, not to be confused with actual speed twice, it pulls to 7000 in the first 3 gears, then about 6700 in 4th I shift and it is still accelerating....slowly but hey it's a 4 cylinder!!!!

These minor mods transformed a nice car into one I enjoy driving much more than when it was stock.

If the desire is there it will absolutely smoke the front tires all thru 1st & 2nd gear with the TC off, I am now a grownup and try to not do that as I 100 miles /day and wear them out soon enough.

I am getting 30-32 with the A/C off and the roof open now and running about 75-80 max, generally 70ish as it is all highway for 30 of my 48 miles each way. In the 98 deg heat with A/C on it gets 26-28 like clockwork.

It handily stomps even 2.3 Mazda 3's that are stock, and most all ricers I have tried, and it outpulled an Acura RSX-S type to over 110 mph from a stop yet!!! We had one and they are pretty quick too....love my ST!!!!

I can stay with our 2002 SVT Focus evenly until 80-90 mph where the 6 speed box just out ratios me and I start losing ground. We also have a Steeda CAI on the SVT, along with Mobil1 and K&N oil filter.

The SVT revs to 7300 and is very fast compared to what you would expect for a 2.0 6 speed combo.

I have driven all the Foci models and the ST is a lot of bang for the buck, my insurance is cheaper than my Taurus and GM were....No difference in cost with Allstate for any Focus, the SVT is $20 bucks cheaper over 6 months due to age I guess....

I am not a FWD fan, but the deal and this car made the decision for me, it just turned 1 yr old on Feb 16 and turned 22,100 miles today.

As I plan to drive this to at least 100K, it's a throwaway, with depreciation being what it is, so this was a cheap and entertaining way to go.

I wanted a Jetta GLI, but for $8,500 more it didn't seem cost effective to destroy that car, the 8.5K can go into the '93 5.0 restoration and accelerate the completion date for that car.

I am going to add bigger EBC brakes Front & Rear, Hawk street performance pads, SVT spindles to accomodate the 13" rotors, stainless lines and Vogt springs and struts from Bilstein or Tokico for the Autocross forays it will see once in a while.

Then I will really enjoy it!!!!

Get the ST, it is a way better start point than the specs alone show...it feels way nicer than you would expect. I would buy another one based on my experience to date - No Problems at all. :happy feet: :shades:

I know it's too late for anything to be done now, but WHY did Ford not offer the ST package on the 3 door or 5 door hatchback?

It makes no sense to me to put the ST package on the UGLY 4 door sedan! I will never buy a 4 door, especially one with a trunk.

The performance version of the Focus should have been made available on the hatchback models, especially the 3 door hatch. What was Ford thinking?

By the way, does anyone know the final day that an order can be placed for a 2007 Focus SES 3 door hatchback (formerly the 2006 Focus ZX3)?

I also wish they'd offered ST hatches. They probably felt there wasn't a market for them based on SVT sales. I'd also hypothesize that they didn't want to depress SVT resale by offering a direct, cheaper replacement, but these companies don't think that way.

I often recommend both the SES and the ST. Either one is a great value new, and an even better value used.