Daimler S type anyone?

TStag

To my way of thinking the existing S type looks like more of a limo than the forthcoming XF. So I wonder if there would be some value in freshing up the S type and then rebadging it as a Daimler. Whilst volumes may not be anything to write home about I suspect that the XF and exisiting S type share enough common components to make this a potentially profitable excercise. In the Longer term it may even allow Daimler to go after the big limo market and Jaguar after the sportier side of things. Just a thought but I quite like the S type and it seems a shame to kill it off so easily when it could get a couple years more life.

• 3 weeks later...
To my way of thinking the existing S type looks like more of a limo than the forthcoming XF. So I wonder if there would be some value in freshing up the S type and then rebadging it as a Daimler. Whilst volumes may not be anything to write home about I suspect that the XF and exisiting S type share enough common components to make this a potentially profitable excercise. In the Longer term it may even allow Daimler to go after the big limo market and Jaguar after the sportier side of things. Just a thought but I quite like the S type and it seems a shame to kill it off so easily when it could get a couple years more life.

My family owned a 76 Sovereign when I was younger. It was a gorgeous car. I like your idea about reigniting Daimler as the limousine nameplate. It would allow Jaguar to regain the youthful image that left with the E-type 30 years ago, without losing out on the "limousine class" sales. The current Daimler already exists - as the Jaguar Super V8. It would be a simple rebadging exercise, perhaps also adding an extra dash of exclusivity. However I don't know whether the S-type has anything left in it. A lack of marketing and Jeremy Clarkson's cynicism seem to have taken away all its "retro-cool" appeal. And the S-type does live on - in the Lincoln LS.