Temporary Workers

BillFord_24

http://www.mycareer.ford.com/OURCOMPANY.ASP?CID=27#5

U.S. Plants

Our plants and other facilities handle their own hiring for hourly employment. For information on available positions, please contact the plant or your state unemployment office.

A friend of my teamleader got an e-mail claiming DTP was going to hire off the street. All you had to do was fax in your info. The number was somewhere in Wayne and was unpublished. Just remember the above statement...there are too many crooks looking to feed off those who are desperate for work.

And no, not a single person in labor heard anything about this fax number.

Our temps have been told they are going to be worked 40 hrs. a week up to September if needed, but that they will not get any credit towards full time status.

Edited by DearbornDerek

At our plant, it was done through referrals. The first wave, of course, the plant needed to hire so fast, and was unable to get ahold of any of the membership in time to submit names, so the union officials and salaried personnel were allowed to hire from amongst their families and friends. Now that that list is exhausted, they are actually holding a lottery and drawing people's names at random to offer a referral to. Of course, since I have yet to hear of anyone actually winning the lottery, it is all speculation at this juncture.

The current temps (TFT's) were told, to the best of my knowledge, to be employed anywhere between a year to a year-and-a-half.

Sorry for my sarcasm........eh, I guess I'm not sorry. Sorry. :shrug:

AT MTP our TFTs are 89 nine days.Our union got them all to vote yes vote the COA,

Edited by Emigh

How is Ford hiring their temp workers? Is it through worker referrals or temp agencies? Also how many days are they usually keeping these people for? Thanks

At Wixom, we were given a window of a few days to submit a name. Each employee was allowed to submit only one name each, but any given name could be submitted by multiple employees. The instructions for completting a refferal form also stated each prospective employee must create a resume on the michigan works website with specific words placed in certain places on the resume. Then they had to search for a specific job posting and apply to it. I was told this was to make it all "legal" to allow anyone to apply. They called people in waves over the several months to test and some started to report on staggered starting dates. Last time I checked we had around 60 people. They were told they would work 40 hours a week until May 31, when the plant is scheduled to be idled. They will receive no benefits and will be classified as temporary part-time.

As was said above it is going to vary by plant.

I worked as an 89 dayer in Cleveland from 00 - 02.

All hourly hiring there is done through employee referrals. There was a seperate referral done in 2000 to hire 89 dayers.

In both cases there was maybe a week to turn in the forms, then lottery drawings were done to pull names to be tested and hired.

Figures I got pulled #7 out of 275 for the 89 dayer job but never got pulled (yet) for the perm job. (And before anyone says it, yea I know new jobs at Ford are unlikely).

I know that a fair number of other plants hire through the state employment / unemployment agency.

Edited by Mr.Roboto