buyout packages

texas bound

Has anyone heard if the packages that were offered to Edison people will be offered to all plants eventually?

None of these plants will "close" as per contract until 2007. They will be idled. Meaning no Gen or buyout packages. You are looking at layoffs only. The way I understand it. YOU CAN BET GEN PROGRAM WILL DIE IN 2007!

None of these plants will "close" as per contract until 2007. They will be idled. Meaning no Gen or buyout packages. You are looking at layoffs only. The way I understand it. YOU CAN BET GEN PROGRAM WILL DIE IN 2007!

What do you mean by no GEN? Once you're out of work, you draw sub for X number of weeks, depending on how many weeks you've already been on layoff during this contract period. Once the SUB has expired, you go into GEN pool for the balance of the contract. So, where do you get there will be no GEN?

Also, buyouts are forthcoming. SLAP is likely to see buyout packages offered in February. None of them are really worth much unless you're ready to retire (28+) or you don't have much time in. Not much there for folks in the middle of the road with 10-25 years of seniority.

What do you mean by no GEN? Once you're out of work, you draw sub for X number of weeks, depending on how many weeks you've already been on layoff during this contract period. Once the SUB has expired, you go into GEN pool for the balance of the contract. So, where do you get there will be no GEN?

Also, buyouts are forthcoming. SLAP is likely to see buyout packages offered in February. None of them are really worth much unless you're ready to retire (28+) or you don't have much time in. Not much there for folks in the middle of the road with 10-25 years of seniority.

I think he was speaking about the plants that aren't going to lay off or close until the end of the contract. Those workers destiny is in the hands of the UAW/FORD bargaining committee. Pretty scary to wonder if you will only get unemployment when the contract ends... I hope everyone realizes that THEY WILL get rid of or ar least reword GEN with the new contract. I think the days for employees with less than 10 years are numbered.

I think he was speaking about the plants that aren't going to lay off or close until the end of the contract. Those workers destiny is in the hands of the UAW/FORD bargaining committee. Pretty scary to wonder if you will only get unemployment when the contract ends... I hope everyone realizes that THEY WILL get rid of or ar least reword GEN with the new contract. I think the days for employees with less than 10 years are numbered.

I was going by the poster stating the plants would be idled, not closed and then he stated there would be no GEN or buyouts for these plants. I didn't see anything pertaining to plants remaining open during the balance of the contract. Obviously they will continue working and draw SUB should they have any down weeks.

I agree with you that GEN will either be modified or eliminated in the next contract. However, I am hopeful that the UAW will provide some type of job protection security whether it be GIS or something else. The buyouts are great if you have 95% of your time in or you don't have much seniority at all. Not much there for those of us still needing another 10 years or so.