2000 Expedition Won't Start

rtallon

Hi,

Today it is in the 20's in Texas. I drove my 2000 Expedition to the airport this morning in the sleet to pick up my husband. I shut the car off to wait and remember thinking that I hope that it starts again; but up until now I was having no issues with my car. It did start and we made it back home. I needed to run to the store about 5 hours later and it will not turnover. It tries, which makes me think that the battery is okay and I guess that the starter is okay. It has almost 77K miles.

Could it be the fuel? It was 85 two days ago! Does anybody have any suggestions? I hope that I can get it started by Monday and take it to the dealership.

Thanks.

Hi,

Today it is in the 20's in Texas. I drove my 2000 Expedition to the airport this morning in the sleet to pick up my husband. I shut the car off to wait and remember thinking that I hope that it starts again; but up until now I was having no issues with my car. It did start and we made it back home. I needed to run to the store about 5 hours later and it will not turnover. It tries, which makes me think that the battery is okay and I guess that the starter is okay. It has almost 77K miles.

Could it be the fuel? It was 85 two days ago! Does anybody have any suggestions? I hope that I can get it started by Monday and take it to the dealership.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my 2001 Expedition. I took it to a shop and they put in a new fuel pump that had cost $500; it ran good for a month now it still wont turnover. I work at Michigan Truck Plant where the Expeditions are built and I talked to one of the guys in the garage and he told me that I might need a Idle Control Motor. I think I will get a tune up next week because I got 105K miles.

My best guess would be a sticking idle air control valve (IAC).

Base part # 9F715.

Try holding the gas pedel down while cranking and see if it fires up.

My husband got it started by holding the gas pedal down and it stayed on until he released the gas pedal. I guess that I will have it towed to the Ford place tomorrow. Is it best to get this part at Ford versus a local repair shop? Is it expensive? The previous reply was a new fuel pump for $500. Ugh! I just don't get it because I haven't had any problems! Thanks for your help!

My husband got it started by holding the gas pedal down and it stayed on until he released the gas pedal. I guess that I will have it towed to the Ford place tomorrow. Is it best to get this part at Ford versus a local repair shop? Is it expensive? The previous reply was a new fuel pump for $500. Ugh! I just don't get it because I haven't had any problems! Thanks for your help!

Parts and labor will be about two-hundred bucks

If you remove the black plastic cover on top of the engine, you can see the valve.

Two bolts hold the valve to the throttle body.

A two wire connector plugged into it.

Try tapping the valve with a small hammer while cranking, sometimes they free up.

They stick closed and will need to be replaced.

It looks like this:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/HammerTi...0_IAC_valve.gif

Edited by Ron Stabb

Parts and labor will be about two-hundred bucks

If you remove the black plastic cover on top of the engine, you can see the valve.

Two bolts hold the valve to the throttle body.

A two wire connector plugged into it.

Try tapping the valve with a small hammer while cranking, sometimes they free up.

They stick closed and will need to be replaced.

It looks like this:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/HammerTi...0_IAC_valve.gif

Thanks for the info. We will try your suggestion and if it doesn't get it going have it towed to Ford. At least we will have an idea of what it could be and start with this part. I will let you all know.

Thank you all for your suggestion to check the IAC. That was the problem! We took the car to our local Goodyear and I told them that my friends at Blue Oval News said that it was the IAC. Of course, Goodyear was skeptical of the internet diagnosis and didn't think that the symptons coincided with the IAC. Sure enough, their diagnosis pinpointed the IAC.

When I went to pick up the car, they deducted the diagnostics fee since I was correct! Thank you all! It was a $189 for the part and labor. The day that I picked it up, they said that two more Expeditions came in with the exact same problem.

So far, it is purring like a kitten again!

Thanks again!