my father has owned a 92 grand marquis, and even though it's got close to 140k miles on it, it's still in very good condition and runs well. (kept out of the michigan winters for most its life).

anyway, since the general body style hasn't changes since 92, he's been hesitant to buy something new...'hard to spend that much money on something that looks just like what I have, and already get 26-28mpg...' as he says.

anyway, he asked if I could find anything on what might be coming around the corner, so what if any future outlook is there for the the Grand Marquis, or other vehicles that may be on the horizon that there has been rumors or whatever on?

My dad's a rear-wheel drive guy so that really limits his choices these days. any thoughts out there would be cool to hear about.

cheers :)

Tell him the Panther forecast could be better. And he shouldn't shy away from a new Grand Marquis simply because it so heavily resembles his old one. Driving differences are night and day, and he might real world see 28-30 HWY MPG out of a 03+ Panther.

Other than that for domestic(ish) RWD sedans, he can look at the Mercedes inspired LX platform (Charger/300/Magnum) from Chrysler, or the forthcoming imported Pontiac G8 (no, I'm not calling out Bingo numbers). Um...that's about it.

Edited by Armada Master

Ya I'll secod that one. Not much to pick from.

I have a 92 GM as well but mine has over 600K miles on it and it's pretty much thrashed. So does your dad need a new one Not really. The cars are good for hundreds of thousands of miles

But the 92's shared the same shitty front suspention as the 79's through 1991's . I upgraded mine to 1995 PI suspention, steering, and brake parts all round almost 10 years ago. That alone made a 200% improvement in the braking and handeling

The 03 and newer cars drive and handle 1000% better than the old 92's. He does not have to buy new either. Good used Panthers are dirt cheap and these cars are easily good for 300K with regular mait. If he can, spend some time and find a good used HPP GM or CV or even better a Maurader.

I bought a new RT Hemi Charger almost 2 years ago when the tranny went out of the 92 I bought the Charger for the same reason as he is hesitiating on getting a new Panther. I could not justify spending $30K+ (i'm in Canada and panthers are expensive here for whatever reason) for a new one of the exact same car Had owned for the previous 15 years .

If I had t to do over again I would have bought a good used Maurader. I have since replaced the Tranny in the old car and I'm fininding I drive it more than the Charger. The Charger is a nice car. Not a great car but a nice car. The interior is like sitting in a tupperware container the trunk is useless small. And the interior is cheap cheap cheap, I have had numerous trim bits fall off and desintgrate already.

I can Guarentee if he gets a 03 or newer Panther he will not be disaapointed and will wonder why he waited so long to replace his old 92.

Matthew