Time for a new Midsize Truck

Tboneguy

I am not privy to the plans Ford has for replacing the Ranger, but I honestly believe people are going to start thinking hard about purchasing a fullsize truck, and if Ford doesn't have a compelling compact/midsize offering they are going to loss those sales. It's my humble opinion that over the next few years we are going to see a shift to compact/midsize trucks similar to what we've recently seen with the traditional SUV to Crossover shift. Maybe not quite as dramatic, but it will happen none the less.

The Ranger (I've owned 3) is a sturdy/durable/well made product, but it's 10 years behind the times. Sit in a new Nissan Frontier and you'll see what I mean.

Ford, you REALLY know how to make a great truck, but it appears you're not going to be ready for the next shift in consumer taste. If you're not already working on it, take the work you've done on the new SportTrac and create a Ranger replacement. Without it you're going to be in the same situation you were in when caught without the Edge in your vehicle lineup.

I've been saying the same thing ever since the current and too heavy F-150 was introduced. We have always had a Ford truck since college days in 1972 and never had a problem finding the right product for our needs. Ford makes nothing now that we are interested in buying to replace our 1999 F-150. We have a late model Ranger and it is a nice, reliable, tough little truck - but not roomy or comfortable enough to be our main vehicle.

Sure hoping our F-150 hangs in there until Ford comes up with something in between the too heavy/too big F-150 and the too small/unrefined Ranger. It's a huge gap in their product line that sure does need to be properly addressed quickly. I agree that the SportTrac is a step in the right direction, but I rather doubt anyone that actually uses a truck will seriously consider it due to the independent rear suspension. And, the bed is not big enough anyway.

the 2007 global/Thai Ranger needs to come here.

it is perfect, except for North Americanizing the engine offerings (Duratec?), and the interior would need a slight modification for the market.

don't make us wait til 2009(?) for our own bastardized version that's just another Sport Trac-esque vehicle most people don't want, nor need.

• 2 weeks later...
The Ranger (I've owned 3) is a sturdy/durable/well made product, but it's 10 years behind the times. Sit in a new Nissan Frontier and you'll see what I mean.

I've owned 2 Rangers and after kid #2 I needed something with 4 real doors and enough room in the back. Ranger was too small and the F150 CC was too big. I looked at the SportTrac but the bed was a bit too small and I really didn't want to buy the last year before a major redesign. Frontier was the perfect size so I bought one.

If Ford had a updated crew cab Ranger I would have bought one in a heartbeat. But I'm sure that deep inside Ford they think that if they build a slightly bigger Ranger they will lose F150 sales so they feel they can force people to go that route. Or, more likely those people will jump brands.