Lincoln: Up From the Livery Car Brand

Up From the Livery Car Brand

How Ford is planning to buff up the image of its troubled Lincoln luxury line

Ford Motor (F) may be unloading Jaguar Cars (F) and Land Rover (F), but that doesn't mean the company has given up on the luxury car business. Now that its two most glamorous divisions are on the block, Ford is pinning its hopes on another upscale brand that's been a big disappointment: Lincoln.

After more than a decade of offering customers vehicles that were merely gussied-up versions of less expensive models from Ford's lineup, the company is planning to roll out designs unique to Lincoln.

READ MORE HERE.

Up From the Livery Car Brand

How Ford is planning to buff up the image of its troubled Lincoln luxury line

Ford Motor (F) may be unloading Jaguar Cars (F) and Land Rover (F), but that doesn't mean the company has given up on the luxury car business. Now that its two most glamorous divisions are on the block, Ford is pinning its hopes on another upscale brand that's been a big disappointment: Lincoln.

After more than a decade of offering customers vehicles that were merely gussied-up versions of less expensive models from Ford's lineup, the company is planning to roll out designs unique to Lincoln.

READ MORE HERE.

It's good to see that Lincoln is getting some attention. I think Lincoln has been doing a better job in design and marketing. A few months ago, I had a 2002 escalade and 2005 SRX. I grew up with cadillacs. I love them and always will, but after a terrible purchase experience with my SRX, I thought I would stop at the local Lincoln dealership and check out the MKX. I am glad I did.

I'm a 32 year old attorney and my wife is 31. This car caught our attention, and all our friends our age love it too. It's classy, sporty, and the interior has a hint of a vintage feel that reminds me of the lincolns from when I was a kid. Ahh...good times.

I believe that Lincoln is on track to attract my generation. It's great that Lincoln is not trying to carbon copy what Cadillac did. Lincoln is trying to find it's success its own way. Personally, I think the trendy Cadillac has reached its peak a couple of years ago. Cadi will ride on its CTS success for another 12 to 18 months. After that, there will be a new giant. Will that be Lincoln?

Edited by itislaw

At the moment, the Lincoln Town Car is scheduled to go out of production in 2011. But Fields says it could be replaced with something similar. "Mercedes-Benz (DAI) is the taxicab of choice in Germany, which shows if you have the right products, being the airport car won't hurt you," he says.

Being the airport car won't hurt you...but canning the airport car can. Especially when it's your best selling nameplate ever. :banghead:

As of July 2007, a RWD Town Car replacement was approved as part of the global RWD program, and I'm not sure if anything has changed since.

My biggest issue was, how a Town Car and MKS could co-exist, when the answer is that, they don't have to. With the Taurus going RWD, the MKS obviously will as well. One needs to consider that the MKS is positively gigantic as it is, and a Town Car could easily be made from a LWB MKS if the market desires it. Throw on another 3" between the front wheels and the front doors, and 3" onto the rear doors, and toss on some slightly warmed over sheetmetal, a V8 engine, and you're basically good to go.

We could even harken back to the origin of the Town Car. Sell a "Town Car" option package for the MKS and MKS-L, with better seats, some freebie optional features, some really high-end plush carpeting, and some personal dealer customization.

Otherwise, I'm very optimistic about Lincoln. They just need products, and if good products like the MKS continue to hit dealers, buyers will come.