A 2008 Ford Escape Clause: Wait for the 2009?

Blue Oval Guide

A 2008 Ford Escape Clause: Wait for the 2009?

But when Ford redesigned the Escape for '08, it focused on aesthetics. The mechanical guts of the vehicle remain largely the same. Partly as a result, fuel efficiency is average. With a four-cylinder engine, an automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive, the '08 Escape is rated to get 22 mpg in the city and 26 on the highway. That's about the same as a comparable '08 Toyota Rav4 (21/27) and a tad better than the '08 Honda CR-V (20/27). The Escape is also pokey, even when powered by a six-cylinder engine. I timed it at 10 seconds in accelerating from 0 to 60.

Now, a big question looms over the '08 Escape: Why not just wait a few months and buy an '09 when the new models come out this summer? On Jan. 22, Ford announced upgrades to the Escape that should make the '09 far better than the '08. For one thing, it will have Microsoft's new Sync communication and entertainment system (as a $395 option).

However, the big news is two new engines. READ MORE HERE.

My parents ran into this very situation. They ordered a new 2008 Escape just a couple of weeks before Ford made their big announcement. No biggie though. They haven't taken delivery of it yet since it had to be ordered from the factory, but I've seen similar Escapes and it seems like they'll be getting a good vehicle. They ordered a 4WD model with the 2.3L I4. No hot rod, sure, but fuel efficiency was the major consideration. If the updates for '09 turn out to be must-haves though, maybe they can trade it in. I'm eligible for Ford's X-Plan so that ought to help offset the price difference.