1999 Cobra

Dennis Delap

Have had car since new and not had a problem it seemed until I made the following mods.

Mac Long Tube Headers

Mac Pro Chamber X pipe

Magna Flow Exhaust

4:10 Gear

Pipes are black sooty at tips, a puff of blue smoke on hard pedal shifts. PVC valve was all oiled up and replaced. Added breather element to replace oil filler cap. Stock computer is in effect. Have Xcalibrator 2 orderd and on way. I am thinking this will help to reflash the computor. Just installed a 80 mm C&L MAF I have had on the shelf for a while. Any thoughts on this issue will be appriaited.

Dennis Delap

56 year old kid.

Another train of thought: When you lift a high revs, headers accentuate the tendency of a motor to suck out the oil and push it out the exhaust, its a sudden vacuum thing....

When I built racecars in the 60's & 70's every BB Chevy, Ford and Mopar did this after cam/header/intake mods....it is expected to some degree, the increased airflow thru the engine tends to suck up oil....plus all us weinies drive them much harder....admit it you know who you are..... :)

All engines are expected to use a qt of oil every 700 to 1200 miles....read your owner's manual, this is normal consumption.....increasing power and revs will sometimes affect that adversely, (understatment).

Check your oil, change it religiously and don't obsess too much, high performance comes with trade-offs, enjoy the car and the power.

That said, I wouldn't put a Mac produst on my lawn mower, all experiences with them were bad, cheap looking, poor fit and performance was so-so.

My Mustangs will have Kook's or Hookers, great fit, power and no problems for 30 years with Hooker pieces,

Kook's are even more upscale performance wise I'm told, I intend to try them on the 02 GT Vert soon, I will report back on how they work out when I get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, this was a huge problem that destroyed alot of cobra engines. Im afraid yours is probably gone as well. If you would have done a search on all the mustang boards, you would have seen MANY threads on the subject. People all ended up with scored cylinder walls, shot rings, broken ringlands, etc. It basically came down to this. Because of extremely poor quality control, the mac longtubes were filled with weld slag, weld remnants and all sorts of abrasive stuff...basically dirt or sand. You fire the motor up, and all the crap finds its way into your intake manifold through the EGR and eats your motor alive. I never did buy that excuse though, because most of the intakes have alot of oil built up in the lower plenum, which would catch most of this stuff. I believe the vacuum created in the headers during engine braking, as well as some of the resonant pulses were carrying this crap right into the cylinders. The flow isnt always in 1 direction. Anyway, I had the macs on mine, but mine were used and came off of a cobra that had already been eaten alive. It had been consuming so much oil that all the primaries were coated about 1/8" thick with carbon when I bought them. I hoped that because all that crap had already been blown out, that my engine wouldnt get shot. I flushed all the tubes with carb cleaner, hosed them out, blew them out with compressed air, and even took a die grinder to the primary entries. There was ALOT of weld sticks and junk in there when I started, but when I was done, they were ok. My engine never did get destroyed, but the quality did suck and they were prone to warping and creating exhaust leaks. i went through about 9 exhaust combos. By far the best combo was stock exhaust manifolds with a tightly sealed dr. gas x-pipe and a magnaflow catback. It sounded incredible and was faster that it was with the longtubes. Sorry to hear about your engine troubles.

Off topic: why do I have only 3 posts? I was one of the biggest posters on here.

Edited by 32V HEMI JR.