MSNBC: Which hybrids make financial sense

65fairlane

Check out http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24669757/wid=1...h_hybrid_080515 for their take on payback times for hybrids (at $3.40/gallon for gas)

Thanks for that link. I just made up my mind this past week to move to the FEH. This makes me feel better about my decision. I would almost consider the Mazda Tribute if a dealership was a little closer than 30 miles away. Not to far for the purchase, but too far for potential repairs and warranty service.

Check out http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24669757/wid=1...h_hybrid_080515 for their take on payback times for hybrids (at $3.40/gallon for gas)
The MSN report is skewed since the tax credits are very few and most states don't offer in 2008. Furthermore, the Hybrid payback time is linear as 87 octane is over $4 per gallon now as I type. Another componet to payoff, which most talking head's fail to discuss is that many of the higher end vehicles require 89 to 91 octane which the Hybrids have the upfront 20-cents per gallon advantage because they all use the low cost 87 octane.

Anyway, excluding the extreme subcompact vehicles, the Prius stands out as the best choice due to its cost, hatchback and remarkable cargo ability, warranty and top fuel mileage for year 2008 compact vehicles. The Prius also has the best available options with Pkg 6 in under $35,000 HyBrids. The Mariner/Escape Hybrids offer top choice in the SUV class, although loaded with leather, sound, nav, backup, moon & tune make it very classy at $32,000 and a consistant 33mpg with AC on and up to 36 off.

But there's a Hybrid buying frenzy going on right now and if you're spending cash or borrowing, I don't recommend buying any of them in the near future. The $10,000 savings you get buying the Corolla automatic at 30 hwy mpg's it buys you 2500 gallons of gas and that's 75,000 miles you can drive your Corolla for free. Furthermore, the Saudi's just announced they will be producing 200,000 more barrels of oil today, summertime gas prices are always high and the Hybrid manufacturers have ALL said they are increasing Hybrid vehicle production begining summer 2008 by 160% or more for their 2009 model years. There will be many new Hybrid models appearing on the marketplace by Summer of next year too. Bottom line, IMO next summer would be when I would make plans for a new car/suv purchase.

The MSN report is skewed since the tax credits are very few and most states don't offer in 2008. Furthermore, the Hybrid payback time is linear as 87 octane is over $4 per gallon now as I type. Another componet to payoff, which most talking head's fail to discuss is that many of the higher end vehicles require 89 to 91 octane which the Hybrids have the upfront 20-cents per gallon advantage because they all use the low cost 87 octane.

Anyway, excluding the extreme subcompact vehicles, the Prius stands out as the best choice due to its cost, hatchback and remarkable cargo ability, warranty and top fuel mileage for year 2008 compact vehicles. The Prius also has the best available options with Pkg 6 in under $35,000 HyBrids. The Mariner/Escape Hybrids offer top choice in the SUV class, although loaded with leather, sound, nav, backup, moon & tune make it very classy at $32,000 and a consistant 33mpg with AC on and up to 36 off.

But there's a Hybrid buying frenzy going on right now and if you're spending cash or borrowing, I don't recommend buying any of them in the near future. The $10,000 savings you get buying the Corolla automatic at 30 hwy mpg's it buys you 2500 gallons of gas and that's 75,000 miles you can drive your Corolla for free. Furthermore, the Saudi's just announced they will be producing 200,000 more barrels of oil today, summertime gas prices are always high and the Hybrid manufacturers have ALL said they are increasing Hybrid vehicle production begining summer 2008 by 160% or more for their 2009 model years. There will be many new Hybrid models appearing on the marketplace by Summer of next year too. Bottom line, IMO next summer would be when I would make plans for a new car/suv purchase.

I think the false impression the article also gives is that the tax credit is treated like a rebate. They are removing the tax credit from the MSRP to adjust the cost. Actually the tax credit will have various impacts based on the buyer's income in the year they make the purchase.

Not to mention that by this time next year you should be able to buy a Fusion hybrid that would cost signifigantly less than an Escape/Mariner hybrid.

I think Ford would also be wise to come out with a Focus hybrid.

Afraid the Fusion won't do it for me. We live in a semi-rural area. I have a mini van now that I bought in 2000 as a grandbaby hauler. I don't need to drag all that empty space around behind me anymore, but I still need to accomodate gardening and other bulk items that I wouldn't be able to get in the typical sedan. We have one of them too, so the wife will keep her's for up-town gettin' around and my next vehicle will be our combination people, freight and commuter vehicle. i drive 20 miles each way to work so I need to be a little conservative with whatever I get next. Not sure I would benefit that much from a hybrid on the open and country roads that I travel. I don't do that much city driving.

Afraid the Fusion won't do it for me. We live in a semi-rural area. I have a mini van now that I bought in 2000 as a grandbaby hauler. I don't need to drag all that empty space around behind me anymore, but I still need to accomodate gardening and other bulk items that I wouldn't be able to get in the typical sedan. We have one of them too, so the wife will keep her's for up-town gettin' around and my next vehicle will be our combination people, freight and commuter vehicle. i drive 20 miles each way to work so I need to be a little conservative with whatever I get next. Not sure I would benefit that much from a hybrid on the open and country roads that I travel. I don't do that much city driving.

That's exactly what I did, dumped the minivan for the FEH. I drive country roads, mostly 45mph speed limit type roads with a stop sign every mile or 2. I get a consistant 30-32mpg now, w/ or w/out AC on; but only drive 6mi to work :)

So if you can do what you want with a cheaper efficent car, then fine go with a car, but if you want the occasional cargo room you can't beat the FEH! :)