Hydraulic Hybrid Technology

kc show me

Ford developed the hydraulic hybrid technology several years ago which was used in the Tonka Truck concept. Why hasn't Ford used this technology to increase the mileage of our trucks and SUV's? UPS has been using this for their trucks in Memphis and I have read that they have a Navigator prototype that also uses this technology. This technology uses no batteries and no highly flammable gases. It doesn't make sense not to use it. Any thoughts?

Hybridization only gets better mileage in stop and go driving, i.e. dense city driving or city delivery work.

For normal driving all it does is increase weight.

This wasn't a hybrid in the way your thinking by your response. It was installed in the driveline for launch a vehicle from a stop. It built up hydraulic pressure and was stored.

When the truck left from a stop,it releases the stored energy to help move the truck forward. The fuel savings is in the launch assistance,where most trucks use the most fuel to move loads or just the weight if the truck itself.

It was suppose to be used in the super duty,was even listed as a future option. I heard they couldn't get the unit to hold up to the torque,well have to see in the future if they get the bugs worked out.

This wasn't a hybrid in the way your thinking by your response. It was installed in the driveline for launch a vehicle from a stop. It built up hydraulic pressure and was stored.

When the truck left from a stop,it releases the stored energy to help move the truck forward. The fuel savings is in the launch assistance,where most trucks use the most fuel to move loads or just the weight if the truck itself.

It was suppose to be used in the super duty,was even listed as a future option. I heard they couldn't get the unit to hold up to the torque,well have to see in the future if they get the bugs worked out.

That's exactly what a hybrid does - store energy to use when starting from a stop and at low speeds.

Hybrids aren't some mysterious magic - you can duplicate much of the same MPG results yourself by driving a tiny, low powered car, shutting off the motor at stop lights and accelerating very gently.

If you took a 46mpg Prius, took out the (hybrid) battery and electric motor and gave it to the average driver, they would still get 46mpg, maybe more with the reduced weight. It's a gimmick to get people to buy tiny cars that they otherwise would not consider.