ford-walmart-bbm?????

megirldeth

:boring: what is with this ford-walmart-stupid movie broke back???seen on tv boycott??how stupid people are to put ford in this issue!!!! :shrug: will someone please enlighten me about this my husband seen on bloomberg and has asked me about it and i looked it up and im still confused :rolleyes:

:boring: what is with this ford-walmart-stupid movie broke back???seen on tv boycott??how stupid people are to put ford in this issue!!!! :shrug: will someone please enlighten me about this my husband seen on bloomberg and has asked me about it and i looked it up and im still confused :rolleyes:

Do not have a clue as to what your talking about.???? :headscratch:

They mention Ford as a reference of the AFA most recent tragets in their fight against the homosexual agenda crusade. I'm sure when they where reporting back a few months Disney was wishing not to be associated any longer with news surrounding the AFA but it all gets reported.

Hey atleast we are not in the spotlight this time

Wal-Mart Won't Quit "Brokeback"

by Josh Grossberg

Apr 5, 2006, 10:30 AM PT

Could it be a new twist in the culture wars, or is it all about the bottom line?

Wal-Mart began selling DVD copies of Ang Lee's gay ranch romance Brokeback Mountain Wednesday, despite vehement protests from the ultra-conservative American Family Association.

The world's largest retailer announced it will not only carry the Academy Award-winning film in all its 3,900 U.S. locations, but it will also prominently display posters of Brokeback stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger in its storefronts.

Such a decision has prompted the Tupelo, Mississippi-based AFA to launch a campaign accusing Wal-Mart of backing a pro-gay agenda. The organization posted a message on its Website asking "concerned Christians to let their local Wal-Mart managers know how they feel and that they are not pleased over the chain's decision to promote and carry the pro-homosexual movie."

"It wasn't even a blockbuster movie, so if Wal-Mart isn't trying to push an agenda, why would they put it at the front door?" Randy Sharp, director of special projects for the association, told the Los Angeles Times.

Continuing to make hay while the sun shone, he accused the big box of ditching its family-friendly roots by supporting the Brokeback release, seemingly ignoring the fact that the film lassoed $83 million at the box office, won three Oscars and became a cultural touchstone by turning the concept of the studly cowboy on its head.

"Wal-Mart is trying to help normalize homosexuality in society," Sharp added. "But now many copies are they going to have to sell to recruit the losses of customers who they've offended and will no longer shop at Wal-Mart?"

Pulling the ol' two step, a rep for the company resisted the notion that it is promoting gay rights, arguing instead that stocking Brokeback is just purely good business sense.

“Wal-Mart provides movie selections in our stores and online, recognizing that a broad segment of our customer base wants to buy the latest titles," Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Jolanda Stewart said in a statement. "We serve a broad customer base and therefore offer an expansive assortment of movie titles to meet the needs of the diverse consumers that shop our stores."

This isn't a one-shot thing they got going on here.

The American Family Association, which claims a membership of 3 million and is one of the leading Far Right Christian groups crusading against what they say is indecency in the media, has a history of pressuring Wal-Mart to do its bidding.

And the retail chain has often been more than accommodating, refusing to carry funnyman George Carlin's bestseller When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops? and canceling orders of Daily Show host Jon Stewart's America, because both included supposedly offensive images that weren't in line with its family-friendly policies. Wal-Mart has also pulled numerous magazines from its racks at the behest of the Christian activists who deemed them too racy.

Last month, the AFA also issued an action alert against Ford, urging its members to boycott the car company after a public backlash forced Ford to go back on its promise not to place advertisements for luxury lines such as Jaguar and Land Rover in gay publications such as The Advocate.

Fighting back against the American Family Association's anti-Brokeback initiative, the pro-gay Ultimate Brokeback Forum recently announced a campaign to place the Brokeback DVD in 2,000 rural libraries in the U.S. and Canada and has called on fans around the world to donate copies of the DVD to libraries in their area. Members of the online forum also ran an ad in the Mar. 10 edition of Daily Variety, hailing Brokeback as the most honored film of the year that's also "transforming people's lives."

They can now add Wal-Mart to their thank-you list.

In keeping with its founder's vision of offering quality products at great prices, Wal-Mart--one of America's largest DVD retailers--is offering Brokeback at the bargain rate of $16.87.

Edited by outhere_i_m

IT'S A FRIGGIN MOVIE!!! Why does the afa only pick on gay's? You don't see the afa demanding that wal-mart remove all the horror and slasher movies, :shrug: I mean those can't be good wholesome family entertainment. I'm so sick of groups trying to force thier agenda on everyone, they more or less want to tell us what we can or cannot do because they don't want to risk thier family being exposed to something they don't like. How long before the afa starts to burn books, how long before they want to send people away to "camps" to be changed where does it end. This is America, to each thier own and live and let live. I, like most people take responsibility for myself and my family. If I don't think something should be exposed to my family, they don't get exposed. I don't go out and try to force my beliefs on the rest of the world.

o.k. rant over :happy feet:

Just another reason to hate and not shop at wally world!

They have as much right to run a business as anyone else. If people didn't shop there, they would go under. As for them hiring cheap Asian labor, I prefer that to them hiring cheap American labor. Cheap American labor pay no taxes, and suck social programs. It is more beneficial for us to get cheaper prices. The extra money we have to spend will create more jobs here. The jobs created in the third world will keep them over there.