Vacuum lines at A/C switch (2000)

dr76

A friend has a 2000 Ranger (4-cyl, 5-speed) that's only blowing cold air out of the defrost vents (and a tiny bit thru the floor vents) when the A/C is on. I pulled out the vent selector knob and removed the vacuum harness from behind it, but there was NO vacuum at the harness. When I T'ed into an engine vacuum line and applied it to the harness (one vacuum line at a time), the air distribution changed as it would by using the vent selector knob... when applied to the RED vacuum line, the air came thru the dash vents as it should.

So, my questions are:

1) Shouldn't there be vacuum AT the harness I removed from behind the vent selector knob?

2) If so, does anyone know WHERE the vacuum source is (under hood, behind dash, etc)

3) Is there a vacuum "diagram" available? My Haynes manual shows BASIC wiring, but no info on the vacuum lines and/or routing.

:sos:

• 2 months later...
A friend has a 2000 Ranger (4-cyl, 5-speed) that's only blowing cold air out of the defrost vents (and a tiny bit thru the floor vents) when the A/C is on. I pulled out the vent selector knob and removed the vacuum harness from behind it, but there was NO vacuum at the harness. When I T'ed into an engine vacuum line and applied it to the harness (one vacuum line at a time), the air distribution changed as it would by using the vent selector knob... when applied to the RED vacuum line, the air came thru the dash vents as it should.

So, my questions are:

1) Shouldn't there be vacuum AT the harness I removed from behind the vent selector knob?

2) If so, does anyone know WHERE the vacuum source is (under hood, behind dash, etc)

3) Is there a vacuum "diagram" available? My Haynes manual shows BASIC wiring, but no info on the vacuum lines and/or routing.

:sos:

Sounds as though the HVAC system vacumn reservoir is leaking or the line running to it is disconnected or damaged as well. Peel back the right fender plastic inner liner (the front part) and you will see the reservoir staring at you.

Hope this helps........

Late entry: The vacumn supply is located somewhere on the intake manifold or intake plenum, not sure what a 2.3 setup is exactly. This line, being manifold vacumn, is downstream of the throttle body

Edited by kalanikaau