How do I reduce my Interior "Map-Light" Delay upon shutoff with the 09 FEH LTD?

goldenpuppie

Greetings everyone-

This past week I brought my 09 FEH Ltd. home for the first time. Just for the record, I am VERY PLEASED with the operation, drivability, and all it's features. This is the first time i've actually been excited about my car in years, and I'm 53. (It gets about 32 mpg avg in ECON MODE, in frigid temperatures we've experienced thus far in Chicagoland).

In any event, upon reading the Owners Manual, I've been able to reduce the delay time for Automatic Shutoff of interior and exterior lights, by going to that set of push buttons under the steering wheel on the dash, and selecting a shorter delay time. In this frigid weather, I feel funny about leaving any electrical items on after shutting off the vehicle. However, the MAP LIGHTS above the dash still stay on for a minute after shutting off the engine. The only way I've been able to turn them off earlier is to push the "lock" button on my remote door lock key twice. Then, they turn off. Am I missing anything in the manual (the manual refers to pages 158 to 162 or so) or is this a glich in the design (or maybe a "feature" which Ford wants us to embrace?)

Thanks for any assistance you can lend.

goldenpuppie

Willowbrook IL (west subn Chicagoland)

Greetings everyone-

This past week I brought my 09 FEH Ltd. home for the first time. Just for the record, I am VERY PLEASED with the operation, drivability, and all it's features. This is the first time i've actually been excited about my car in years, and I'm 53. (It gets about 32 mpg avg in ECON MODE, in frigid temperatures we've experienced thus far in Chicagoland).

In any event, upon reading the Owners Manual, I've been able to reduce the delay time for Automatic Shutoff of interior and exterior lights, by going to that set of push buttons under the steering wheel on the dash, and selecting a shorter delay time. In this frigid weather, I feel funny about leaving any electrical items on after shutting off the vehicle. However, the MAP LIGHTS above the dash still stay on for a minute after shutting off the engine. The only way I've been able to turn them off earlier is to push the "lock" button on my remote door lock key twice. Then, they turn off. Am I missing anything in the manual (the manual refers to pages 158 to 162 or so) or is this a glich in the design (or maybe a "feature" which Ford wants us to embrace?)

Thanks for any assistance you can lend.

goldenpuppie

Willowbrook IL (west subn Chicagoland)

Maybe the service manual has more, but it appears as though the 25 second delay is standard for the dome and map lights (p53 owner's manual).

On page 99 (locks and security) the illuminated entry system will turn off all interior lights when the Integrated Keyhead Xmitter lock control is pressed...if you lock it using the keypad or after 25 seconds of illumination. I didn't find anything else either.

Glad to hear you like yours. We're loving ours, too. I think someone here at work wants to buy Bob's green '08 hybrid. I guess it's still tough to get them as an order and there's still little to nothing as "stock"

bj

Maybe the service manual has more, but it appears as though the 25 second delay is standard for the dome and map lights (p53 owner's manual).

On page 99 (locks and security) the illuminated entry system will turn off all interior lights when the Integrated Keyhead Xmitter lock control is pressed...if you lock it using the keypad or after 25 seconds of illumination. I didn't find anything else either.

Glad to hear you like yours. We're loving ours, too. I think someone here at work wants to buy Bob's green '08 hybrid. I guess it's still tough to get them as an order and there's still little to nothing as "stock"

bj

U R absolutely right on both counts. I found this out one day while securing the truck at the BNSF train parking lot. I was hoping that the "Info" and "setup" buttons could be manipulated to work the interior lights as well as the headlights. The middle dome light I just turned off, since I rarely have back seat riders. (My dogs can see in the dark fine). I read somewhere on here that the computer in the dash that runs the electronics etc. could be programmed at the dealer to turn off the delay, but that sounds like too much work to go back to the dealer for. It seems like more and more of these vehicles have these unalterable "dad" features that run your life whether you want them to or not (like light delays, etc.)

There was a green 08 FEH at Willowbrook Ford as well, and they tried hard to sell that one to me too. But....no dice. The 09 is much nicer.

Thanks bj for all your help.

goldenpuppie